Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast
    Wow... . If this Bobby had shown up for that rebuttal speech a while back, he wouldn't have looked like an ***** on national TV himself.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    Wow... . If this Bobby had shown up for that rebuttal speech a while back, he wouldn't have looked like an ***** on national TV himself.
    Yeah, I saw that a couple days back. Did BP respond?
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Last edited by Toby; 06/07/2010 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Fixed URL
    Quote Originally Posted by groovy View Post
    Strange since it works for me. Yes, the text seems to be the same.
    Incidentally, here are two shots of the art at Southern Sting.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    oh my...some people are having a truly "amnesia" moment.

Wasnt the rallying cry of the Republican Party "Drill Baby Drill?
    Wasnt it during the 8 years of the Bush administration's backsliding and failure to regulate these Oil Companies that initially led to the Gulf catastrophe? Thats like blaming President George H.W. Bush for the Exxon Valdez oil spill because he was the president of the US at the time. While we're at it lets just blame his son George W. Bush for Enron, 911, Afganistan, IRAQ, IRAN, The Bank Bailout, Unemployment, The Housing Burst....because these happened during his presidency...didnt it? How can ONE man be the blame for the mistakes of others? Really?...I mean c'mon really? Give me a break!!!!

How come corporations cant take the blame for their mistakes? Didnt you see the Senate hearings where each of the corporate presidents responsible for this disaster were blaming each other? They didnt mention not once that it was Obama's fault! You would think at least they would have agreed on that. But we are in a country where we DO NOT TAKE RESPONSIBILTY for OUR own actions unless we can blame it on someone else.

It was me...it was was the one armed man!!
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stephenjxn View Post
    oh my...some people are having a truly "amnesia" moment.

Wasnt the rallying cry of the Republican Party "Drill Baby Drill?
    Wasnt it during the 8 years of the Bush administration's backsliding and failure to regulate these Oil Companies that initially led to the Gulf catastrophe? Thats like blaming President George H.W. Bush for the Exxon Valdez oil spill because he was the president of the US at the time. While we're at it lets just blame his son George W. Bush for Enron, 911, Afganistan, IRAQ, IRAN, The Bank Bailout, Unemployment, The Housing Burst....because these happened during his presidency...didnt it? How can ONE man be the blame for the mistakes of others? Really?...I mean c'mon really? Give me a break!!!!

How come corporations cant take the blame for their mistakes? Didnt you see the Senate hearings where each of the corporate presidents responsible for this disaster were blaming each other? They didnt mention not once that it was Obama's fault! You would think at least they would have agreed on that. But we are in a country where we DO NOT TAKE RESPONSIBILTY for OUR own actions unless we can blame it on someone else.

It was me...it was was the one armed man!!
    All great points.... now take a deep breath. We're complaining (most of us) about Obama's handling AFTER the explosion/leak. Nobody in his right mind is blaming him directly for BP's fail.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    All great points.... now take a deep breath. We're complaining (most of us) about Obama's handling AFTER the explosion/leak. Nobody in his right mind is blaming him directly for BP's fail.
    We? You mean you. There is an amazing paucity of people in this very thread complaining about "Obama's handling". Just the usual suspects.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    We? You mean you. There is an amazing paucity of people in this very thread complaining about "Obama's handling". Just the usual suspects.
    I wasn't saying "We" as in this thread. I meant "We" as in the 63% of the US that think Obama has failed in his response.

The only thing he's been good at has been blaming and threatening BP. aka grandstanding.

(nice word 'paucity'. had to look it up!)
    I wasn't saying "We" as in this thread. I meant "We" as in the 63% of the US that think Obama has failed in his response.

The only thing he's been good at has been blaming and threatening BP. aka grandstanding.

(nice word 'paucity'. had to look it up!)
    Nice selective reporting and misleading commentary, as we would expect. Actually, 63% did NOT say he has failed in his response. They said he should be doing more. These are the real numbers, from the very poll you quoted. I agree he should be doing more. I don't agree he failed in this response...and neither do the majority of Americans; in fact, more approve of his handling of the spill now than last week:

Handling of Gulf Oil Spill
    Obama Administration
    Now Last week
    Approve 38% 35%
    Disapprove 44 45
    BP
    Now Last week
    Approve 21% 18%
    Disapprove 68 70
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    Nice selective reporting and misleading commentary, as we would expect. Actually, 63% did NOT say he has failed in his response. They said he should be doing more. These are the real numbers, from the very poll you quoted. I agree he should be doing more. I don't agree he failed in this response...and neither do the majority of Americans; in fact, more approve of his handling of the spill now than last week:

Handling of Gulf Oil Spill
    Obama Administration
    Now Last week
    Approve 38% 35%
    Disapprove 44 45
    BP
    Now Last week
    Approve 21% 18%
    Disapprove 68 70
    Nice spin, David! Bravo!
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Maybe we should change the grading system in schools from F for failure to W for "wish they'd do more". Wait, they already have... I think it's called "needs improvement".
    Nice spin, David! Bravo!
    Now THAT'S funny. You were the one that spun. Let's look carefully at what you wrote, and what the poll actually looked at, shall we?

I meant "We" as in the 63% of the US that think Obama has failed in his response.
    Tell me Micael, did 63% of the people in that poll say that Obama has failed in his reponse? No, not really. In fact, 38% of the participants in that poll approved of Obama's handling of the oil spill, up from the week before. 44% disapproved. Is this some kind of right-wing new math that says that 63%=44%? No wonder you guys want to protect the banks. You can't handle simple percentages. As I stated, 63% said he should do more. I am among those 63%. No matter how hard you spin it, that's what the poll says....doesn't it? Or are you going to try and spin it again, in spite of the fact that you have been shown to...shall we say...misstate the truth?
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Either way you spin it, David, it's hardly "an amazing paucity of people" that "disapprove" of Obama's handling of the crisis, to use your words.... wouldn't you agree? I mean, the poll numbers certainly support that.
    Either way you spin it, David, it's hardly "an amazing paucity of people" that "disapprove" of Obama's handling of the crisis, to use your words.... wouldn't you agree? I mean, the poll numbers certainly support that.
    If by using the triple negative you are trying to ask if I agree that Obama's approval in management of the oil spill is relatively low, I would agree. Of course, those 44% that don't approve of his handling just possibly could be the same 44% that don't approve of anything he does. Personally, and I have a growing personal interest in the effects of this spill, I strongly want him to do more. But I also am aware that the government has been doing a lot more than most people seem to be congnizant of, per a previous post that listed all the people and boats currently deployed and working. However, that doesn't get much press. That's fine. I think he's done about what he could reasonably do under the circumstances.
    And now for a little levity...

First a local perspective on local events:
    The Lafourche Gazette - local newspaper located in Larose, Louisiana

Second The Onion nails it:
    http://www.theonion.com/articles/mas...from-bp,17564/
    Interesting poll from ABC News/Washington Post. It turns out people feel the Federal government's response has been worse for the oil spill vs katrina. I'm sure davidra will claim this poll is rigged or racially motivated, or something, but whether deserved or not, this is becoming a huge thorn in Obama's side. The problem here is that Obama can't blame Bush for his (Obama) lousy leadership after the spill. Of course, I'm sure they are working on some way to blame Bush for this. Oh oh, maybe he'll have to take the blame for the lousy leadership. He is finally getting serious though, he cussed last night on TV! He is serious and mad now!

http://abcnews.go.com/images/Polling...il%20Spill.pdf
    PalmPilot, PalmIIIc, Treo 650, Pre, Pre 3, Nokia 1020, Lumia 950

"It's good to be the King" - Mel Brooks, History of the World, Part 1

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." General George S. Patton
    Quote Originally Posted by clemgrad85 View Post
    Interesting poll from ABC News/Washington Post. It turns out people feel the Federal government's response has been worse for the oil spill vs katrina. I'm sure davidra will claim this poll is rigged or racially motivated, or something, but whether deserved or not, this is becoming a huge thorn in Obama's side. The problem here is that Obama can't blame Bush for his (Obama) lousy leadership after the spill. Of course, I'm sure they are working on some way to blame Bush for this. Oh oh, maybe he'll have to take the blame for the lousy leadership. He is finally getting serious though, he cussed last night on TV! He is serious and mad now!

http://abcnews.go.com/images/Polling...il%20Spill.pdf
    I saw that, I'm unimpressed. All this stuff about his demeanor is ridiculous. If they actually looked at what the government has done, such as the White House response I posted a few days ago, the government has done a whole lot. Even Joe Scarborogh thinks the whole "blaming the government and Obama" is absurd given their response. The public wants someone to jump up and down and beat their chest, but that's not his style. Fine with me. What counts is the outcome. So far nobody's died in the streets because of lack of government action, unlike Katrina. And BP is responsible for the oil spill, not mother nature. Having said that, I wish he would do more. I don't care how he presents it to the public, I just care about what he does to support the interests of those who are going to be hurt in the next few months. Apparently (and not surprisingly) private corporations are not up to the task, as BP says they don't have enough oil skimmers available. So that the government can have enough around to clean up after big oil, I"m sure you won't mind paying a little more in taxes, right?
Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast