Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    Ahhh. The spawn of Strom. Perfect. Enough said.
    Couldn't explain the GALLUP poll, huh? Perfect. Enough said.
    PalmPilot, PalmIIIc, Treo 650, Pre, Pre 3, Nokia 1020, Lumia 950

"It's good to be the King" - Mel Brooks, History of the World, Part 1

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." General George S. Patton
    Quote Originally Posted by clemgrad85 View Post
    Couldn't explain the GALLUP poll, huh? Perfect. Enough said.

No need. Everything I said was true. Yesterday's poll showed a 49% approval rating. You didn't exactly give me the name of one national politician or party with approval ratings half that good, now, did you? He's doing just fine given the situation, which is that haters like you will say or do anything to discredit him. And I really do enjoy you playing the race card. Nicely done.
    No need. Everything I said was true. Yesterday's poll showed a 49% approval rating. You didn't exactly give me the name of one national politician or party with approval ratings half that good, now, did you? He's doing just fine given the situation, which is that haters like you will say or do anything to discredit him. And I really do enjoy you playing the race card. Nicely done.
    All I did was report what your favorite poll, GALLUP, reported. It was you, my dear doc, who played the race card. Bottom line, your GALLUP poll clearly shows a trend downward. Granted, the poll is likely about to level off because supporters of the Great Oz will never, never abandon him no matter what he does. Oh....and we'll even use your most current % of 49%, and even with that, of the 8 other Presidents they compared him to, 6....6 my dear doc....had higher ratings than him at this point in their Presidency. Yes, now that is something to brag about.

Oh....and this is priceless....albeit a bit off topic....but a friend of the Gore's is now blaming Bush for the possible divorce. Man....George Bush was possibly the most powerful man ever!

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." General George S. Patton
    All I did was report what your favorite poll, GALLUP, reported. It was you, my dear doc, who played the race card.
    Really? Try insight.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Maybe he forgot to mention Sara Palin? Oh or Rand Paul... where are they sitting right now?
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Maybe it's just me, but if you have an accident when an oil company is in the process of trying to cap a well to move the rig to another spot for further exploration, is the best way of dealing with it to issue a moratorium ensuring that all the other similar rigs are just going to try and cap their wells all at once so that they can move elsewhere for further exploration?
    Spill’s Economic Ripples Seen Beyond Oil Industry - NYTimes.com
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    Maybe it's just me, but if you have an accident when an oil company is in the process of trying to cap a well to move the rig to another spot for further exploration, is the best way of dealing with it to issue a moratorium ensuring that all the other similar rigs are just going to try and cap their wells all at once so that they can move elsewhere for further exploration?
    Spill’s Economic Ripples Seen Beyond Oil Industry - NYTimes.com
    And we depend on this guy to create jobs in America and lead us out of this depression?
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    And we depend on this guy to create jobs in America and lead us out of this depression?
    Well, not all of us depend on that, but it would be nice for him to not actively kill jobs and force a region that has managed to stay in relatively good shape into government dependence.
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    Jobs are being created, haven't you heard?

May jobs report: Unemployment lower - Jun. 4, 2010

Employers added 431,000 jobs in the month, up from 290,000 jobs added in April. It was the biggest gain in jobs since March 2000.

But Census hiring was responsible for 411,000 of May's increase in employment. Private sector employers also added 41,000 jobs in the period, well below the 218,000 private sector job gains in April. Government payrolls other than Census declined by 21,000 jobs in May, due largely to job cuts by state and local governments.
    How many of those 431,000 were the same people, repeatedly laid-off and rehired, is not yet known.
    Well, not all of us depend on that, but it would be nice for him to not actively kill jobs and force a region that has managed to stay in relatively good shape into government dependence.
    1. This wasn't an accident; it was negligence, incompetence and greed, plain and simple.
    2. More "accidents" will cost more jobs, and more importantly, will destroy those jobs forever. Consider commercial fishing in Prince William Sound.
    3. Saving jobs didn't seem to be in many people's minds when they were *****ing about efforts to save the auto industry. Why can't we let the oil companies fail as well?
    4.The moratorium is only on deepwater drilling. There's a lot of other areas available.
    5. It just might be that reorienting those jobs to energy independent-oriented jobs would be best in the long run, don't you think?
    1. This wasn't an accident; it was negligence, incompetence and greed, plain and simple.
    Those certainly played a factor if most of the accounts out there are accurate. That doesn't make it not an accident, though. That being said, I'm not sure how that would justify something of this scale, or how it improves safety.
    2. More "accidents" will cost more jobs, and more importantly, will destroy those jobs forever.
    Except that the current action will definitely destroy those jobs for several years. Also, it increases the likelihood of another 'accident' since the same process will have to take place at each of the suspended rigs. Further, if the 'negligence, incompetence, and greed' are really endemic, then it practically guarantees more 'accidents'. If they are not, this is a symbolic gesture that really won't increase safety, but simply destroy jobs for political purposes.
    Consider commercial fishing in Prince William Sound.
    I am. It's fairly certain that commercial fishing in the region will suffer for years. And now we've just pretty much killed the offshore industry in the region as well. That's OK, though, there's always unemployment.
    3. Saving jobs didn't seem to be in many people's minds when they were *****ing about efforts to save the auto industry. Why can't we let the oil companies fail as well?
    I'm all for letting BP fail and bankrupt itself in the process of cleaning up its mess. I'm not talking about bailing out anyone. The oil companies are multinational. They're just going to pick up their rigs and send them elsewhere along with those jobs. Not actively preventing someone from working is not the same as keeping an unsuccessful company afloat.
    4.The moratorium is only on deepwater drilling.
    Which is where 80% of the oil in the Gulf is from.
    Q&A: Explaining, exploring the Gulf drilling moratorium | NOLA.com
    There's a lot of other areas available.
    Where?
    5. It just might be that reorienting those jobs to energy independent-oriented jobs would be best in the long run, don't you think?
    I'm not sure such a thing exists. Without petroleum and its by-products, we wouldn't be having this conversation.
    Interesting blog entry from a friend of a friend.
    Interesting blog entry from a friend of a friend.

I like it. Very good ideas, by and large.
    I'm not sure such a thing exists. Without petroleum and its by-products, we wouldn't be having this conversation.
    That is so true. If you tried to eliminate all of the by products from our lives we would be back to the dark ages. Almost everything we use has some for of petroleum in it. That's why I laugh at the tree hugging prius owners. Even though they try to do their share in reducing their use of oil it's all over them and their homes.
    Quote Originally Posted by mayo1024 View Post
    That is so true. If you tried to eliminate all of the by products from our lives we would be back to the dark ages. Almost everything we use has some for of petroleum in it. That's why I laugh at the tree hugging prius owners. Even though they try to do their share in reducing their use of oil it's all over them and their homes.
    Yeah. The only thing stupider is for nobody to do anything. After all, why bother? When we do run out of oil, we'll just all go away. Good thinking.
    Yeah. The only thing stupider is for nobody to do anything. After all, why bother? When we do run out of oil, we'll just all go away. Good thinking.
    I don't think many people feel we shouldn't be looking for other sources of energy. But while we continue to perfect and explore other methods, we have to keep a steady supply of oil going. Even the hated Exxon sees the need to be going in other directions, as they plan on purchasing XTO Energy for 41 billion. XTO is a major player in natural gas, which is where this country really needs to be going based on how much we have here. But since we aren't set up to use natural gas yet, gotta keep the oil flowing. Even my normally "last in everything" state (SC) is working on 2 nuclear power plants that should be operational by 2016, if all goes according to plan. I personally can't wait until we supply all our energy from within our country. Holy cow that would be GREAT.

Anyone see the Simpson's episode recently where Homer bought a wind turbine for his home? One scene has him setting up all these electric fans to blow the turbine. Too funny.

I don't think many people feel we shouldn't be looking for other sources of energy.
    Really? Does that include paying attention to conservation? Tell mayonnaise about it.
Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast