Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 450
  1. srswarley's Avatar
    Posts
    43 Posts
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    Should I wear a blindfold and place an apple on my head while I'm at it?
    Maybe, but the apple is about to stop falling. Texas is re-writing their history books to not include Isaac Newton in favor of examining scientific advances through military technology (who the f*** do you think the military has to thank for all of it's "advances"!?!)

    This comes from a right-wing Christian conservative on the Texas school board.. and what happens in Texas and textbooks ends up happening throughout the country.

    Sorry, the apple quote got me side-tracked for a sec.

    We now bring you back to your regularly scheduled broadcast.
  2. #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    Help me out here. You're the one that brought up less government in this thread. Which post of mine prompted that exactly? I'd want safety regs with regards to offshore drilling platforms, so I'm really confused as to which tra... er, position it is you're wishing me to take.
    im looking at all your posts, all the threads, be the answer man for the right. All i have seen is communist this socialist that, free market is the answer.. but no real plan. just a lot of talking points. I think some call them strawmen.. i could be wrong. I am old, so its entirely possible that I am.
    Life is short, Play hard, and enjoy every moment as if it was your last.
  3. Micael's Avatar
    Posts
    736 Posts
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
       #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by xForsaken View Post
    im looking at all your posts, all the threads, be the answer man for the right. All i have seen is communist this socialist that, free market is the answer.. but no real plan. just a lot of talking points. I think some call them strawmen.. i could be wrong. I am old, so its entirely possible that I am.
    I'd love to accommodate... but give me a specific topic/question at least. I'm older, so you go first!
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
  4. #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    I'd love to accommodate... but give me a specific topic/question at least. I'm older, so you go first!
    ok, your older, really, hmmm 52 here..
    Life is short, Play hard, and enjoy every moment as if it was your last.
  5. Micael's Avatar
    Posts
    736 Posts
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
       #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by xForsaken View Post
    ok, your older, really, hmmm 52 here..
    Ha! I knew it!
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
  6. #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    Ha! I knew it!
    you knew what.. that i was older.. of course i am
    Life is short, Play hard, and enjoy every moment as if it was your last.
  7. Micael's Avatar
    Posts
    736 Posts
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
       #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by xForsaken View Post
    you knew what.. that i was older.. of course i am
    LOL. I wish.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
  8. #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by grappler View Post
    Good post, and I reread your earlier one. You're right, I missed some of the points you were making.
    Thanks for this.
    As for Carville, he may be a Democrat, but he's hardly a neutral party.
    No, he's not a neutral party, but his observations are not against Obama per se. At his most emotional, he's pointed out that he can't believe Obama is squandering this opportunity so badly. He's a political strategist pointing out that had Obama took the bull by the horns and done something rather than rely on the subtleties of the OPA and its 'responsible party' designations, his approval ratings would have been skyrocketing. I, for one, agree with him.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
  9. Micael's Avatar
    Posts
    736 Posts
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
       #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    He's a political strategist pointing out that had Obama took the bull by the horns and done something rather than rely on the subtleties of the OPA and its 'responsible party' designations, his approval ratings would have been skyrocketing. I, for one, agree with him.
    it's true. Politically, Obama missed a huge opportunity. He'll reap the exact opposite results.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
  10. #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by xForsaken View Post
    you knew what.. that i was older.. of course i am
    You're both older than me (Micael has posted pictures of himself in the Coast Guard from either the late 60s or early 70s, so that would put him a few years older than you), and yet sometimes I think both of you need to grow up.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
  11. #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    it's true. Politically, Obama missed a huge opportunity. He'll reap the exact opposite results.
    Really, Micael. I am older than you, and I'd like you to go to your room. Do you really have to continue to start flame wars? Does it make you feel better? You know that the majority of people disagree with you; are you aiming for some kind of validation? You realize that almost half the country approves of his actions, about twice of the approval ratings of congress. How many people do you think feel that his presidency is "one disaster after another"? I consider it one excellent start for a great 8 years.

    The comparison with Katrina is absurd, but not for the reason that Toby gives. The response to Katrina was easily available. Send in troops, evacuate people, keep them from dying in the streets. The previous administration actually CHOSE not to do that. In this case, there is no fix available. The only fix available is BP, no matter how hard you try and blame things on Obama. As I said in an earlier post, maybe we need to increase everyone's taxes so that we can afford to buy deepwater equipment which is run by and managed by the government so we can fix these things when BP or the next company makes the wrong decision based on economics, screws up, and is directly responsible for an economic catastrophe.
  12. Micael's Avatar
    Posts
    736 Posts
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
       #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    Really, Micael. I am older than you, and I'd like you to go to your room. Do you really have to continue to start flame wars? Does it make you feel better? You know that the majority of people disagree with you; are you aiming for some kind of validation? You realize that almost half the country approves of his actions, about twice of the approval ratings of congress. How many people do you think feel that his presidency is "one disaster after another"? I consider it one excellent start for a great 8 years.

    The comparison with Katrina is absurd, but not for the reason that Toby gives. The response to Katrina was easily available. Send in troops, evacuate people, keep them from dying in the streets. The previous administration actually CHOSE not to do that. In this case, there is no fix available. The only fix available is BP, no matter how hard you try and blame things on Obama. As I said in an earlier post, maybe we need to increase everyone's taxes so that we can afford to buy deepwater equipment which is run by and managed by the government so we can fix these things when BP or the next company makes the wrong decision based on economics, screws up, and is directly responsible for an economic catastrophe.
    Almost half approve over all, but not on this issue. If you'd like more about that, talk to this guy.

    David, I don't think I've once blamed him directly. BP has direct responsibility. You and I agreed on this in the other thread. I may have eluded to his share of responsibility for the feds laxed safety reg enforcement (I know you've seen the same reports), and I think he's as much as admitted to that. I suppose that admission is a plus on his legacy tablet, though I think it might have been more about 'damage control' messaging, than it being an actual admission.

    My issue, all along, has been how he's reacted since day one. I think that the original post in this thread lays this thought out quite well. Peggy certainly is far more gifted than I am at writing, so please take a gander, if you haven't already. And as stated, she did actually support Obama's election.

    BTW, my room is quite nice. I don't mind hanging there at all.

    And as for starting flame wars, I guess you and I have more in common than one might think.

    PS) How old again?
    Last edited by Micael; 05/28/2010 at 05:02 PM.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
  13. #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    Almost half approve over all, but not on this issue. If you'd like more about that, talk to this guy.

    David, I don't think I've once blamed him directly. BP has direct responsibility. You and I agreed on this in the other thread. I may have eluded to his share of responsibility for the feds laxed safety reg enforcement (I know you've seen the same reports), and I think he's as much as admitted to that. I suppose that admission is a plus on his legacy tablet, though I think it might have been more about 'damage control' messaging, than it being an actual admission.

    My issue, all along, has been how he's reacted since day one. I think that the original post in this thread lays this thought out quite well. Peggy certainly is far more gifted than I am at writing, so please take a gander, if you haven't already. And as stated, she did actually support Obama's election.

    BTW, my room is quite nice. I don't mind hanging there at all.

    And as for starting flame wars, I guess you and I have more in common than one might think.

    PS) How old again?
    Oh come on. You are now saying you're not blaming him? Did you even read the title of your own post?? Yes, you have been consistent in saying he wasn't on top of things from day 1. And I disagree with that, and so does most everybody, even those who have begun to criticize him. He was on top of things given the information the government was given.

    Let's see....how about a hint? I was in college when Beatlemania started. Does that help? Oh, and even more specifically, I was also there when "In My Room" was popular. Now get in there....;-P
  14. #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    You realize that almost half the country approves of his actions
    Wow, I never thought I'd see this phrase used as a compliment. If "almost half" of my students approved of my methods, I'd certainly re-evaluate myself.
  15. #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    The comparison with Katrina is absurd, but not for the reason that Toby gives.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
    The response to Katrina was easily available. Send in troops, evacuate people, keep them from dying in the streets.
    I think people seem to be thinking that the comparison to Katrina is because Obama isn't stopping the leak. It's not. Any more than people were upset with Bush because he didn't stop the water from busting through the levees. People here are upset because the oil isn't being stopped from coming on shore and into the marshes. There have been plenty of solutions proposed for that which could have undoubtedly been aided by sending in troops, building up barrier islands, deploying more/better booms, etc. Rightly or wrongly, in both cases, the perception of many is that had Katrina/Oil Spill happened anywhere else, the cavalry would have been sent in. But it happened here, so while we get the 'this is our top priority' message on the TV screen, all we see is the water/oil creeping in and rising.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
  16. #56  
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
  17. groovy's Avatar
    Posts
    941 Posts
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    #57  
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
    Did he say absurd or abthurd?
  18. #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by joshaccount View Post
    Wow, I never thought I'd see this phrase used as a compliment. If "almost half" of my students approved of my methods, I'd certainly re-evaluate myself.
    As I said, that's probably twice the ratings of either party, and over twice the approval ratings of the previous president when he left office. It's also around 8 points higher than Reagan's approval ratings at the same point in his presidency. Sounds pretty decent to me. Tell me, do you feel that your students are the ones that should determine the of your teaching methods? Is that your most important outcome? Should it be?
  19. #59  
    Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    As I said, that's probably twice the ratings of either party, and over twice the approval ratings of the previous president when he left office. It's also around 8 points higher than Reagan's approval ratings at the same point in his presidency. Sounds pretty decent to me.
    It's too bad that some people apply a relative scale to judge another. By your logic (Obama better than Bush) a thief is more "decent" than a murderer. Bottom line, by your own words the majority of people (more than half) disapprove.

    Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    Tell me, do you feel that your students are the ones that should determine the of your teaching methods? Is that your most important outcome? Should it be?
    If my teaching position was an elected one, then the answer would be yes. Instead, I am judged by my department head who does consider, among other criteria, confidential student evaluation forms. The most important outcome for me is delivering quality education. However, if "almost half" of my students approved of my methods, irregardless of my own personal assessment or that of my department head, I would be very concerned and somewhat embarrassed.
  20. #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    It's a mobile rig. It did not start drilling in its current location until February 2010.
    As was stated earlier:
    Construction started in December 1998 and it was completed in February 2001.

    It was planned by BP under Clinton's administration.
Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions