Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 105
  1.    #81  
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    I did manage to figure that one out by myself.
    But here is a problem that you americans will never face, being cut up on roundabouts. Now that's something that makes me mad.
    Yeah, i realized that you realized what i meant. I just felt the need to correct myself after re-reading what i wrote.

    As for roundabouts, there's a huge one near downtown Brooklyn, N.Y. that is always an adventure to get through (around).
  2. solarus's Avatar
    Posts
    554 Posts
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    #82  
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    I'm sorry to say this and don't mean to ofend you but you are causing a problem. I don't doubt that most of the time you are courteous and move in but can you honestly say that you have never unneccessarily hindered another driver by being in the middle lane instead of being in the inside?

    As for the mini van point, I don't see how it stands here since if there is slow moving traffic on the inside and you were rightfully overtaking on the outside then nobody would be able to take you on the inside because there is already traffic there.
    No offense taken, but I can honestly say I haven't hindered anyone when I've been hanging out in the center lane because I only do so when traffic is light and there's no-one around me or close to me from behind. And like I said, if in the unlikely case I find myself in a position where I can't move over I accelerate to match or exceed the speed of the car that is approaching me from behind. Besides, trust me I'm not going slower than traffic in the slow lane in any case I think that last part is something I should have made clear earlier

    Someone over taking me in the slow lane doesn't make it my fault, unless I'm a rude bas*&^ that didn't move over when I could.

    Just a joke about the minivan - not a serious point.

    My main point is that people will be going 80 in the slow lane while someone is going 65 in the fast. And the guy going 80 isn't necessarily there b/c of the guy going 65 in the fast lane, he's there b/c he thinks life is an action movie, or at the very least he's Jeremy Clarkson driving a Focus in the shopping mall , and he looks cool zipping in and out of traffic crossing three lanes every 30 seconds.
  3. #83  
    roundabouts! In Spain I was surprised to see them all over...and within hours loved it. People who know what they're doing can make it so traffic never stops...so much better than lights.

    Now the ones here in Kansas just make me frustrated, since no one knows what to do...usual response is honking and sign language directed at the ONE person who's doing it right...

    Me, naturally
  4. #84  
    Quote Originally Posted by solarus View Post
    No offense taken, but I can honestly say I haven't hindered anyone when I've been hanging out in the center lane because I only do so when traffic is light and there's no-one around me or close to me from behind. And like I said, if in the unlikely case I find myself in a position where I can't move over I accelerate to match or exceed the speed of the car that is approaching me from behind. Besides, trust me I'm not going slower than traffic in the slow lane in any case I think that last part is something I should have made clear earlier

    Someone over taking me in the slow lane doesn't make it my fault, unless I'm a rude bas*&^ that didn't move over when I could.

    Just a joke about the minivan - not a serious point.

    My main point is that people will be going 80 in the slow lane while someone is going 65 in the fast. And the guy going 80 isn't necessarily there b/c of the guy going 65 in the fast lane, he's there b/c he thinks life is an action movie, or at the very least he's Jeremy Clarkson driving a Focus in the shopping mall , and he looks cool zipping in and out of traffic crossing three lanes every 30 seconds.
    If that is the case then I don't mind you on the road But if you are in the process of overtaking sombody then you should not feel the need to accelerate for someone else who is catching up behind. So long as you pull back in when space is available to let the person past then there is no problem.

    Yes I agree if someone was behaving like that on the road. But then it would be classed as reckless and they should rightfully have their licence removed.
  5.    #85  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesey View Post
    roundabouts! In Spain I was surprised to see them all over...and within hours loved it. People who know what they're doing can make it so traffic never stops...so much better than lights.

    Now the ones here in Kansas just make me frustrated, since no one knows what to do...usual response is honking and sign language directed at the ONE person who's doing it right...

    Me, naturally
    Which, of course, brings us back (in a roundabout way) to the OP.
  6. #86  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesey View Post
    roundabouts! In Spain I was surprised to see them all over...and within hours loved it. People who know what they're doing can make it so traffic never stops...so much better than lights.

    Now the ones here in Kansas just make me frustrated, since no one knows what to do...usual response is honking and sign language directed at the ONE person who's doing it right...

    Me, naturally
    Personally I love roundabouts and think they are great for traffic flow. But when people cut into your lane and you have to slam your brakes on it drives me mad. This is not sexist or ageist but from my observations I tend to get cut up most by women and older drivers. They seem to be completely oblivious as to spacial awareness of their vehicle.
  7. #87  
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    Yeah, i realized that you realized what i meant. I just felt the need to correct myself after re-reading what i wrote.

    As for roundabouts, there's a huge one near downtown Brooklyn, N.Y. that is always an adventure to get through (around).
    I realised that you were just correcting yourself and that you realised that I realised that that is what you meant.
    But now I want you to realise that I realise that using realise many times is kind of fun. Sorry to take it off topic
  8.    #88  
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    I realised that you were just correcting yourself and that you realised that I realised that that is what you meant.
    But now I want you to realise that I realise that using realise many times is kind of fun. Sorry to take it off topic
    I realize that you think it's off-topic, but i hope you realize that it's actually not off topic because the topic is that everybody else should realize who is right.
  9. #89  
    Quote Originally Posted by solarus View Post
    Inside to me means the right line (don't ask me why, it just does ) so I agree with everything you said! And yes I think everyone in Atlanta missed that day in class too
    Why would "inside lane" mean the right lane unless you are driving in England?

    Of course that's not the same as the "inner ring" and "outer ring" on 285, but that's referring to all lanes on one side of the median... Am I confused? The right lane is the outside, and the left lane is the inside.... isn't it?

    Anyway, I agree about Atlanta drivers. Worst ever. And insurance rates in Atlanta are much higher than average because of it...

    Ps, ever wonder why they bother to have a traffic helicopter and do traffic reports? The report is always the same... Traffic is bad, everything is backed up, there are no alternate routes, you have all weekend to get home. If you can stay where you are, wait several hours or you will just make it worse...

    There are no alternatives, and the roads are always packed... so why do they have to report on that every ten minutes and tell us from a helicopter?

    dbd should probably start a thread with that as the question....
  10. #90  
    Quote Originally Posted by solarus View Post
    I get what you are saying but on a three lane highway I'm doing no harm by being in the middle until someone needs me to move over. I will move over before the person behind me gets anywhere close to me, unlike most Atlanta drivers. If I can't move over then I speed up to at least accommodate the driver's speed behind me. Now on a two lane highway I tend to stay in the right lane. In congestion I pretty much follow the slowest to the right rule all the time.

    The problem with the slow lane here is that there's always some-one, usually a minivan driver, going 10-15 mph below the limit! The golden rule in driving here in the colonies (I'm an ex-pat btw) is that at the front of every traffic jam there's a mini-van!!
    Oh yes you are... the traffic is heavy enough in Atlanta that you can rarely move to the right at a moments notice. And if you do get out of the way, you will then be hampering the lane you moved in to by wedging yourself in....

    Lane selection needs to be based on speed. If the lane to your right is moving faster than you are, you are in the wrong lane. Period. Apparently they are teaching Driver's Ed the way they are teaching Civics and American History now... glossing over details and missing important info.

    ...just sayin'
  11. #91  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Anyway, I agree about Atlanta drivers. Worst ever. And insurance rates in Atlanta are much higher than average because of it...

    Ps, ever wonder why they bother to have a traffic helicopter and do traffic reports? The report is always the same... Traffic is bad, everything is backed up, there are no alternate routes, you have all weekend to get home. If you can stay where you are, wait several hours or you will just make it worse...

    There are no alternatives, and the roads are always packed... so why do they have to report on that every ten minutes and tell us from a helicopter?
    So true. The traffic in this area is ridiculous. There is nothing i hate more then wasting my time sitting in traffic Maybe it would be better if people knew how to drive, but that is never going to happen...

    I hate it how almost everyone is able to get a Driver's License. The test is way too easy to pass. "Ok, parallel park between these cones. Now drive around the block. Nice job, here's your license!" Maybe having some kind of training program that would build your skills in all aspects of driving would help? I don't know...
  12. #92  
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    So true. The traffic in this area is ridiculous. There is nothing i hate more then wasting my time sitting in traffic Maybe it would be better if people knew how to drive, but that is never going to happen...

    I hate it how almost everyone is able to get a Driver's License. The test is way too easy to pass. "Ok, parallel park between these cones. Now drive around the block. Nice job, here's your license!" Maybe having some kind of training program that would build your skills in all aspects of driving would help? I don't know...
    Even worse, they don't even need a license to become parents... which messes things up even more than poor driving... but that's for another thread.
  13.    #93  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    ... but that's for another thread.
  14. #94  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Even worse, they don't even need a license to become parents... which messes things up even more than poor driving... but that's for another thread.
    Haha yea I know.. That's a whole different debate though


    I wish we could make stupidity a crime.
  15. Micael's Avatar
    Posts
    736 Posts
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    #95  
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    Haha yea I know.. That's a whole different debate though


    I wish we could make stupidity a crime.
    After Obama signed it in to law, we'd have to march him straight to jail!

    Oooo yes! I went there! Went to the gift shop too!
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
  16. #96  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Why would "inside lane" mean the right lane unless you are driving in England?

    Of course that's not the same as the "inner ring" and "outer ring" on 285, but that's referring to all lanes on one side of the median... Am I confused? The right lane is the outside, and the left lane is the inside.... isn't it?

    Anyway, I agree about Atlanta drivers. Worst ever. And insurance rates in Atlanta are much higher than average because of it...

    Ps, ever wonder why they bother to have a traffic helicopter and do traffic reports? The report is always the same... Traffic is bad, everything is backed up, there are no alternate routes, you have all weekend to get home. If you can stay where you are, wait several hours or you will just make it worse...

    There are no alternatives, and the roads are always packed... so why do they have to report on that every ten minutes and tell us from a helicopter?

    dbd should probably start a thread with that as the question....
    The inside lane in the UK is the left lane not the right hand lane. It is the inside lane because you enter onto that lane.
  17. solarus's Avatar
    Posts
    554 Posts
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    #97  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Why would "inside lane" mean the right lane unless you are driving in England?
    I think its b/c of what pip smith just said. I am an expat so I've always viewed the lane you merge onto as the inside lane. I'm not a driving instructor so I'm not telling other drivers to get into the "inside lane", no harm no fowl.


    Ps, ever wonder why they bother to have a traffic helicopter and do traffic reports? The report is always the same... Traffic is bad, everything is backed up, there are no alternate routes, you have all weekend to get home. If you can stay where you are, wait several hours or you will just make it worse...

    There are no alternatives, and the roads are always packed... so why do they have to report on that every ten minutes and tell us from a helicopter
    So true. AM750 is the only radio station with a helicopter and I think its just there for the banter between Neil Boortz and Herb Emory Its the only reason I can think of anyway.

    In regards to your comment on my "middle lane driving" - I must say I almost never find myself middle lane hogging in heavy traffic, I follow the slower to the right rule as needed. My earlier comments about middle lane driving were more about longer trips to Florida, or on weekend drives heading south on GA400, not every day driving (or is it rolling in ATL.
  18. #98  
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    The inside lane in the UK is the left lane not the right hand lane. It is the inside lane because you enter onto that lane.
    So confusing... if you watch NASCAR (which I don't very often) the Inside lane is to the left, and the outside is where the wall is. When they pass on the right it is called passing on the outside... Calling the right lane "outside" would only make sense in the UK.

    The outside is where the shoulder is, the inside is where the median is...etc.

    So how could the right lane be considered "inside" any more than the middle of your driveway could be considered the "edge"?

    I need a nap... before I can digest this stuff.

    From the US Dept of Transportation and other searches, I found all references to the outside lane being on the right, such as:
    "Combined lane and shoulder or lane widening widths of 15 feet for the right (outside) lane and 16 feet for the left (inside) lane have generally performed satisfactorily. For widths greater than these, a longitudinal joint should be sawed and sealed."

    and here it is referred to in the context of the rightmost lane that isn't a right-turn-only lane (click the link if you want to see the diagrams...)
    http://www.campo-nc.us/BPSG/docs/Wid..._Goodridge.pdf

    And here where they are testing road materials and refer to the rightmost lane as the "outside lane" in text and diagram on page 3:
    http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/research/rep...orts/445.1.pdf

    and here, where the outside lane is the lane that would be wide enough for a bicycle lane:
    FDOT: No Bicycle Lanes for Sunset Drive | Transit Miami

    And in Georgia, a recent report of the outside lane being closed for repair of a sink hole in the right lane. Click the link to see the picture of the sink hole in the right lane, that corresponds to the report of closing the outside lane...

    "Georgia DOT began work at 7:30 a.m. on the sinkhole. Road work will be completed and the outside lane reopened to traffic by the evening of Tuesday,"
    http://www2.wspa.com/news/2010/feb/1...i-85-ar-40416/

    How did I get distracted by this? Argh... back to boring work...
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 05/26/2010 at 04:28 PM.
  19. solarus's Avatar
    Posts
    554 Posts
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    #100  
    Say what Cantaffordit, I'm confused

    Although probably the same reason some of us pronounce "lieutenant" "leftenent" It just is.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions