Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    LMAO this thread is cool I look at these fools in other cars, scream and cuss that they are fools etc.. (yet if i saw myself driving from a third person perspective) I'd probably cuss and yell at me too sometimes lol.

And Booo New Jersey drivers !
    Are bad people born that way? Or did something go terribly wrong?
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    I find that driving 25 mph faster than anyone else allows me to only worry about the idiots in front of me. Saves time and energy....

except when the occassional cop shows up....
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Kill all the other drivers! I own the road!
    August 2009 - January 2011. Thank god I'm no longer a Pre user!

4.    #64  
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    I find that driving 25 mph faster than anyone else allows me to only worry about the idiots in front of me. Saves time and energy.... .
    That's my kind of thinking.
    It cuts the variables in half.
    Last edited by dbdoinit; 05/26/2010 at 11:55 AM.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    If somebody is able to pass you on the inside lane then you simple should not be in the middle lane, you should be on the inside. I make a thing of taking middle lane hoggers on the inside and then showing them my warm love with a nice little hand gesture.
    I know your frustration well. I'm not really talking about hogging the middle lane, I'm talking about over taking on the inside lane, not the outside, even when its not advisable - basically when it requires a sharp turn back into the center lane b/c a car is in the inside lane.

I admit I do spend my time in the middle lane mostly, but if someone is approaching my rear and there is space to do so I move over into the inside lane.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    If I remember correctly (and i usually do), George Carlin had this joke that asked:

"On the road, why are people that speed past us, maniacs; and people that drive too slow in front of us, morons?"

It's an interesting psychological thought-process. It must be because we always think we're right, right?
    Just curious... do you post these wacky questions just to see if you can keep at least one of them in the top threads? sure seems like it to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by solarus View Post
    I know your frustration well. I'm not really talking about hogging the middle lane, I'm talking about over taking on the inside lane, not the outside, even when its not advisable - basically when it requires a sharp turn back into the center lane b/c a car is in the inside lane.

I admit I do spend my time in the middle lane mostly, but if someone is approaching my rear and there is space to do so I move over into the inside lane.
    Inside as in left lane?

It seems like no one in atlanta was in class on the days when they taught that "the left lane should always move faster"... which means no one should ever pass from the right... When I was a new driver (I had a stanley steamer) it was illegal to pass on the right, and the police would issue tickets for doing it. Passing on the right means driving coming through the biggest blind spot, and it's one of the reasons there are so many accidents on atlanta highways.

So, if everyone would remember that if you are going faster then the traffic to your left, you are in the wrong lane. If you are going slower than the traffic to your right, then you are in the wrong lane.

no flames, please.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Just curious... do you post these wacky questions just to see if you can keep at least one of them in the top threads? sure seems like it to me.
    Most of dbd's threads end up containing a good conversation, so it's fine with me!

At least he posts in the right forum..
  9.    #69  
    No, i don't.
    Maybe my threads often receive a quantifiable response for a good reason.
    No, i don't.
    Maybe my threads often receive a quantifiable response for a good reason.
    That's what I assumed, until the several most recent...
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Inside as in left lane?

It seems like no one in atlanta was in class on the days when they taught that "the left lane should always move faster"... which means no one should ever pass from the right... When I was a new driver (I had a stanley steamer) it was illegal to pass on the right, and the police would issue tickets for doing it. Passing on the right means driving coming through the biggest blind spot, and it's one of the reasons there are so many accidents on atlanta highways.

So, if everyone would remember that if you are going faster then the traffic to your left, you are in the wrong lane. If you are going slower than the traffic to your right, then you are in the wrong lane.

no flames, please.
    Inside to me means the right line (don't ask me why, it just does ) so I agree with everything you said! And yes I think everyone in Atlanta missed that day in class too

Yes but you are missing the point that you should only pull into the middle
    lane when you need to immediately overtake a slower vehicle. If this was being followed then nobody would need to overtake on the inside and there would be a lot less congestion in places.

Even when I'm topping 100mph, yes I admit to driving that fast, I still pull into the inside lane until I need to overtake somebody.

Just to clarify the inside lane to me is the left lane since I'm in the uk and drive the other way. But if in the US its the right lane.
    Carlin probably never drove in Honduras, or he'd have included a third group... Those who pass coming into mountain curves.

It's most properly executed by three old school buses.

oh yeah....been there :O
  14.    #74  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesey View Post
    Carlin probably never drove in Honduras, or he'd have included a third group... Those who pass coming into mountain curves.

It's most properly executed by three old school buses.

oh yeah....been there :O
    lol
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Yes but you are missing the point that you should only pull into the middle
    lane when you need to immediately overtake a slower vehicle. If this was being followed then nobody would need to overtake on the inside and there would be a lot less congestion in places.

Even when I'm topping 100mph, yes I admit to driving that fast, I still pull into the inside lane until I need to overtake somebody.

Just to clarify the inside lane to me is the left lane since I'm in the uk and drive the other way. But if in the US its the right lane.
    I get what you are saying but on a three lane highway I'm doing no harm by being in the middle until someone needs me to move over. I will move over before the person behind me gets anywhere close to me, unlike most Atlanta drivers. If I can't move over then I speed up to at least accommodate the driver's speed behind me. Now on a two lane highway I tend to stay in the right lane. In congestion I pretty much follow the slowest to the right rule all the time.

The problem with the slow lane here is that there's always some-one, usually a minivan driver, going 10-15 mph below the limit! The golden rule in driving here in the colonies (I'm an ex-pat btw) is that at the front of every traffic jam there's a mini-van!!
  16.    #76  
    @pip smith-

Do they do this in the U.K.?
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd
    When waiting for oncoming traffic to pass so they can make a left turn, they sit there behind the crosswalk (instead of going out into the intersection to wait) and then the light turns red and the "driver" (and everybody else) has to wait for the next cycle.
    You could literally be sitting at that intersection for almost ten minutes.
    ... Or this:

Quote Originally Posted by dbd
    Back in NYC, they would blast the horn at you, give you a short free "sign-language" seminar and then drive around you.
    In london where I am living now it is the latter. This suits me better as I hate waiting when it is completely possible and safe to pull out.
    However where my family are from everyone just waits behind the line, its horrible. And people seriously get offended if you beep at them.
  18.    #78  
    In london where I am living now it is the latter. This suits me better as I hate waiting when it is completely possible and safe to pull out.
    However where my family are from everyone just waits behind the line, its horrible. And people seriously get offended if you beep at them.
    Lol, thanks.

PS- I meant right turn, in your case.
    I get what you are saying but on a three lane highway I'm doing no harm by being in the middle until someone needs me to move over. I will move over before the person behind me gets anywhere close to me, unlike most Atlanta drivers. If I can't move over then I speed up to at least accommodate the driver's speed behind me. Now on a two lane highway I tend to stay in the right lane. In congestion I pretty much follow the slowest to the right rule all the time.
    I'm sorry to say this and don't mean to ofend you but you are causing a problem. I don't doubt that most of the time you are courteous and move in but can you honestly say that you have never unneccessarily hindered another driver by being in the middle lane instead of being in the inside?

As for the mini van point, I don't see how it stands here since if there is slow moving traffic on the inside and you were rightfully overtaking on the outside then nobody would be able to take you on the inside because there is already traffic there.
    Lol, thanks.

PS- I meant right turn, in your case.
    I did manage to figure that one out by myself.
    But here is a problem that you americans will never face, being cut up on roundabouts. Now that's something that makes me mad.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast