Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    ...... The South is weird.

I wonder if there are any southerners here that would like to explain this phenomenon to us "yankees".
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post

I wonder if there are any southerners here that would like to explain this phenomenon to us "yankees".
    Yes, please! Can someone from the South explain your driving mentality? Maybe tell us what you find annoying about northern drivers?
    @dbd

You know when your sitting at a red light wanting to make a left and don't have a turning arrow? As soon as the light turns green, you jump in front of the line of oncoming cars so you don't have to be stuck until the yellow light? I have never seen anyone down here do that... It was normal up north though. Two cars wanting to make a left at a light with no arrow were guaranteed to make it. One at the second when the light turns green, and one when the light turns yellow.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Well, you and i both moved down here from up north. These ATL drivers are very strange compared to where we come from.
    No kidding. I've lived here, Macon, and Orlando, and Atlanta is by far the best example of slow morons, and fast maniacs. That's not to say other cities don't have the quirks - no-one in Orlando knows where they're going (tourists ) but Atlanta is a city whose drivers seems to be auto pilot most of the time.

Yes, please! Can someone from the South explain your driving mentality? Maybe tell us what you find annoying about northern drivers?
    What you typed below - I know there's plenty of time to make that left before oncoming traffic starts, but its just one of those annoying things I see.

An annoying thing for all highway drivers not just "you Yanks" is when driving on a 3 or more lane highway, drivers will pass on the inside lane when the outside lane is readily available - I've seen accidents happen because of this.
    Last edited by solarus; 05/26/2010 at 09:42 AM.
    Because there's nowhere you need to be that's that important. Unless you have flashing lights and a siren and somebody might die, sit at the line and patiently and politely wait your turn.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
  6.    #26  
    @dbd

You know when your sitting at a red light wanting to make a left and don't have a turning arrow? As soon as the light turns green, you jump in front of the line of oncoming cars so you don't have to be stuck until the yellow light? I have never seen anyone down here do that... It was normal up north though.....
    Yeah, that drives me up a wall!
    Haha I always get in the middel of the road so if it turns yellow I can go and the car behind me usually go to. If you sit behind the line you will never go! People down south don't pull up? Strange
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    Because there's nowhere you need to be that's that important. Unless you have flashing lights and a siren and somebody might die, sit at the line and patiently and politely wait your turn.
    And if you do see flashing lights and hear a siren, please pull to the right. So often I see people go left, or to the center lane, or completely stop where they are.

People who can't figure it out usually get an extra a s s full of air horn from me.

Sprint Pre- Meta-Doctor 2.1.0 w/Flash

Everything is Amazing & Nobody is Happy, "People with their mobile phones, "uh... oh... it won't..."... GIVE IT A SECOND... IT'S GOING TO SPACE!" Louis C.K.
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    Maybe it's just our mentality. We may be more aggressive drivers, but we were with like-minded people. On the major highways down here, there are much more accidents then where I used to live. I do notice that alot of drivers down here are hyper-aggressive on the major highways for some reason.
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by solarus View Post
    No kidding. I've lived here, Macon, and Orlando, and Atlanta is by far the best example of slow morons, and fast maniacs. That's not to say other cities don't have the quirks - no-one in Orlando knows where they're going (tourists ) but Atlanta is a city whose drivers seems to be auto pilot most of the time.
    So it's not a "South" thing?
    It's an Atlanta thing?

Now that i think of it, in my travels all over Florida over the years, i hadn't noticed it as much as here in ATL.
    @solarus

But you said yourself "I know there's plenty of time to make that left before oncoming traffic starts."

May I ask why you find it annoying then?
  12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by Butters3605 View Post
    And if you do see flashing lights and hear a siren, please pull to the right. So often I see people go left, or to the center lane, or completely stop where they are.
    Thats another one.

A complete stop even when the emergency vehicle is coming from the opposite direction on a straight, wide four-lane road, with NO possible turns to make; is, in my opinion, downright dangerous to the vehicles behind you.

We didn't do that up north either.
  13.    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by OneDeep View Post
    Haha I always get in the middel of the road so if it turns yellow I can go and the car behind me usually go to. If you sit behind the line you will never go! 1-- People down south don't pull up? 2-- Strange
    1- NO !!!

2- Extremely!
    Thats another one.

A complete stop even when the emergency vehicle is coming from the opposite direction on a straight, wide four-lane road, with NO possible turns to make; is, in my opinion, downright dangerous to the vehicles behind you.

Nope. Whenever an emergency vehicle was coming down the road, everyone pulled over to the right side of the road. If there were no possible turns for the emergency vehicle to make on the road, we didn't stop. We do slow down a bit though (not sure why )

Man, I'm really missing living up north... I want to move back sometime in the near future.

I miss Wawa and 7-11.
    Side note: Southern people, what's the deal with the complete lack of convenience stores down here? I don't like buying food from a gas station... lol.
    Thats another one.

It is the right thing to do, and other vehicles should be yielding as well. You cannot assume the emergency vehicle is going past you. we may be pulling into a business or home on your side of the road, or for some reason need to cross the center line (i.e. traffic, access, etc.)

I often park on the wrong side of the road when responding to emergencies, we are not going to delay our response to turn around and face the right direction. that being said, I make every effort to approach from the proper direction, however this is not always possible.

emergency lights and sirens should always be used when "breaking" conventional traffic laws.

Everything is Amazing & Nobody is Happy, "People with their mobile phones, "uh... oh... it won't..."... GIVE IT A SECOND... IT'S GOING TO SPACE!" Louis C.K.
    Global Posts
    211 Global Posts
    If I remember correctly (and i usually do), George Carlin had this joke that asked:

"On the road, why are people that speed past us, maniacs; and people that drive too slow in front of us, morons?"

It's an interesting psychological thought-process. It must be because we always think we're right, right?
    prob because I drive the speed limit. If you are going faster, then it is more dangerous so you are a maniac and since the limit feels so slow, if you are going slower,u are a moron. Lol
  17.    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by Butters3605 View Post
    It is the right thing to do, and other vehicles should be yielding as well. You cannot assume the emergency vehicle is going past you. we may be pulling into a business or home on your side of the road, or for some reason need to cross the center line (i.e. traffic, access, etc.)

I often park on the wrong side of the road when responding to emergencies, we are not going to delay our response to turn around and face the right direction. that being said, I make every effort to approach from the proper direction, however this is not always possible.

emergency lights and sirens should always be used when "breaking" conventional traffic laws.
    I respect what you're saying, but what if it's a road with no traffic in your direction and no houses nor driveways etc to turn into?
    All trees on both sides and it's raining.
    There's a very good chance that i'll get rear-ended, no?
    Quote Originally Posted by samid View Post
    prob because I drive the speed limit. If you are going faster, then it is more dangerous so you are a maniac and since the limit feels so slow, if you are going slower,u are a moron. Lol
    But if all the traffic is going 5-10mph over, driving the speed limit becomes a hazard. The flow of traffic overrides the posted speed limit
  19.    #39  
    Side note: Southern people, what's the deal with the complete lack of convenience stores down here? I don't like buying food from a gas station... lol.
    Yep, lol.
    ALL the people i work with eat at QuikTrip and RaceTrac every... single... day. Ughh
    Last edited by dbdoinit; 05/26/2010 at 10:45 AM.
    I respect what you're saying, but what if it's a road with no traffic in your direction and no houses nor driveways etc to turn into?
    All trees on both sides and it's raining.
    There's a very good chance that i'll get rear-ended, no?
    If it is was a traffic corridor with nothing on it, homes/business/parks, then I would tend to agree, but you should still be anticipating a yield, unless the lanes are divided by a jersey barrier.

You cannot forget about the response to car accidents and medical emergencies (i see a lot of them actually in cars). A lot of people have strokes, seizures, heart attacks, while driving or they think they can drive themselves to the hospitals instead of calling 911. We may be coming to one on your side of the road.

I am viewing this from the emergency responders perspective, If someone rear-ends you because they failed to yield, they are a moron!

BTW most accidents happen on dry days during the daylight hours.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast