1.    #1  
    You all are a classy bunch who enjoy fine writing instruments right? Anyway, my trusty day to day go to fountain pen is on its last legs (I have had it for 12 years since I was 15). It is time to find a new one. However, I am having trouble finding a good place to buy a new pen.

Do you gals and guys (I switched it up there) know of a good pen shop online? Ebay mostly has $200+ pens and very sketchy ones from China. But really, $4 for a fountain pen isn't a huge loss even if it is crap.

Cheers!
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Check out Levenger.com. They sell lots of writing stuff, including some really nice high end pens. I'm not a "pen" kind of guy so never bought one from them, but everything else I've gotten from them has been excellent quality.
    I'm not a fountain pen guy, but I like me my japanese fine ballpoints! Try the "Pilot Hi-Tec C". You'll have to import it or get it from a specialty shop, though. I ordered a box from a Japanese book store.

I hope that contributes to the thread even though it's kind of off topic :-)
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    I have ordered from isellpens.com. Nice folks and a good selection. The last pen I bought from them is a Hero...though I forget the model. It's one of the nicest writers and it was $10. Well worth it by a long shot. My other pens are Two Watermen (Philius and Lauret), very nice pens but can cost a bit, a Parker (which I don't care for, a scratchy writer, could just be the nib) and a Pilot (another nice inexpensive pen, the model I don't recall).

I don't think you'll find $4 pens from these folks but $10-$20 will get you a nice pen. They also have a good selection of inks to go with it and converters for many if you go that route. Happy shopping!
    Last edited by dbeedle; 05/24/2010 at 08:29 AM.
    TTFN
    I've had a really nice Cross pen that I was given as a gift about 12 years ago and it has been fantastic. It is a little heavier than most pens and I always get a comment from people when they use it about how nice it is. The best thing about Cross pens is that if it ever gets damaged, they will fix or replace it for free! Well, it costs $5 to mail it to them, but other than that, nothing more than that. By the way, mine is a ball-point pen (not a fountain), but I'm sure their fountain pens are good as well and they'll have the warranty.
    PalmPilot, PalmIIIc, Treo 650, Pre, Pre 3, Nokia 1020, Lumia 950

"It's good to be the King" - Mel Brooks, History of the World, Part 1

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." General George S. Patton
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by dbeedle View Post
    I have ordered from isellpens.com. Nice folks and a good selection. The last pen I bought from them is a Hero...though I forget the model. It's one of the nicest writers and it was $10. Well worth it by a long shot. My other pens are Two Watermen (Philius and Lauret), very nice pens but can cost a bit, a Parker (which I don't care for, a scratchy writer, could just be the nib) and a Pilot (another nice inexpensive pen, the model I don't recall).

I don't think you'll find $4 pens from these folks but $10-$20 will get you a nice pen. They also have a good selection of inks to go with it and converters for many if you go that route. Happy shopping!
    Thanks, this is the type of place I was looking. I have some really nice Watermen pens, but I don't like to use those day to day. I just don't trust the $4 pens off of ebay lol.

Global Posts
    205 Global Posts
    I bought a very good functional fountain pen from Amazon.com for $25. It's a Lamy Safari. It writes very well and it's rugged. It has the option of a cartridge or an additional converter. I bought the converter locally for around $10.

It comes in several sized nibs. I have the fine size and it works well for me. I would recommend it to anyone who is looking for an "everyday" fountain pen. I've been very happy with it.

I also have a Monteverde "tuxedo" model which was moderately priced around $80. I bought the medium nib and I liked it until I bought the fine nib on the Lamy. Now, it seems too thick for my liking. It's a classy looking pen in black and white weave. It's a nice heavy pen which I liked a lot about it. My first fountain pen was plastic and light. I would recommend either the Lamy or the Monteverde. I like them both and use one or the other every day.

Hope that helps.
  8.    #8  
    Yup thanks! I had been looking at that pen, but I wasn't sure. I had never really heard of Lamy before.

Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    I use a Waterman Philias fountain pen that was about $30 at Office Depot or Staples. It has served me well for years.
    It's spelled Phileas. Another good value is the Pilot 78G. You can get some good values from "speerbob", an American seller on eBay, or for nice Japanese pens, there are various reliable Japanese eBay sellers such as "engeika".
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JJCook View Post
    I bought a very good functional fountain pen from Amazon.com for $25. It's a Lamy Safari. It writes very well and it's rugged. It has the option of a cartridge or an additional converter. I bought the converter locally for around $10.
    the Lamy Al-Star is one I've been eyeing. I believe it is the same as a Safari but in Aluminum.
    TTFN