Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by cjgem View Post
    I'm not so sure that most of the panic buying was because of a worry about firearms being confiscated. I think there was a genuine fear of another assault weapons ban, this time with teeth. That put people that were on the fence about buying, say an AR15, over the top before you couldn't anymore.
    My question is why would private citizen "need" to own an AR15 for?
    "Brace yourself, you beautiful *****. I am about to **** you up with some truth!" - Kenny Powers

"I don't mind paying taxes. With taxes, I purchase civilization."
    - H.L. Mencken
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenanator View Post
    My question is why would private citizen "need" to own an AR15 for?
    Why does a private citizen "need" to own anything, but the essentials? ie food, shelter.

What exactly makes an AR15 any more deadly than a Remington Md 1100 shot gun, (a popular skeet model)?

You mentioned Circuit Racing earlier in this thread. It's a hobby for some folks, but an environmentalist might not see a "need". Point being that there are shooting sports/competitions that implore such rifles. That's actually how I got into it. My brother and I went to a John C. Garand Match. I ordered a Garand from The Civilian Marksmanship Program and have been hooked in the shooting sports ever since.

Oh, ya - The CMP is a federally backed program that sells surplus military rifles to civilians. Go figure.
    Oh, ya - The CMP is a federally backed program that sells surplus military rifles to civilians. Go figure.
    ITYM 'members of the unorganized militia'.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    Come on, be honest. Maybe Obama was a part of their paranoia, but surely there's more to it... the national debt, the terrorist attacks, two wars - there's been a lot of fearful things to consider in recent years.

I too know people that have taken steps recently... buying seed stores, replenishing emergency supplies. Concerned, maybe a little more than fearful, and trying to be prepared; maybe. Afeared dem obama revenuersss is a comin fer dere guns.... nah.
    well frankly i am being honest, that is what THEY said, but hey.. what do i know. two wars, well im looking at the length of those wars, been going on a lot longer then obama. national debt,, welllllll again, up until the health thing, and the jury is still out on this, your debt had doubled because of the prior admins spending. fearful, hell ya, you got a lot of people who didnt have a whole lot prior to the financial crisis, now without any money at all, and a shiet load of guns. As to buying up seeds and things, well frankly i have water , food and basic supplies stored in my basement, but i have been doing that for decades.. To a man, they all were worried about Obama, due to tea party members bs, coming to take their guns. One of them went so far as to say, and frankly, i believed him, they would leave him dead before they took his guns,,, this was the guy with the 50 cal sniper rifle... hmmmm i shot ipsc for a number of years, is there a sniper competition out there i dont know about?? lol. but hey, believe what you want, you dont need my permission.
    Life is short, Play hard, and enjoy every moment as if it was your last.
    Quote Originally Posted by xForsaken View Post
    well frankly i am being honest, that is what THEY said, but hey.. what do i know. two wars, well im looking at the length of those wars, been going on a lot longer then obama. national debt,, welllllll again, up until the health thing, and the jury is still out on this, your debt had doubled because of the prior admins spending. fearful, hell ya, you got a lot of people who didnt have a whole lot prior to the financial crisis, now without any money at all, and a shiet load of guns. As to buying up seeds and things, well frankly i have water , food and basic supplies stored in my basement, but i have been doing that for decades.. To a man, they all were worried about Obama, due to tea party members bs, coming to take their guns. One of them went so far as to say, and frankly, i believed him, they would leave him dead before they took his guns,,, this was the guy with the 50 cal sniper rifle... hmmmm i shot ipsc for a number of years, is there a sniper competition out there i dont know about?? lol. but hey, believe what you want, you dont need my permission.
    Sure is, although it is call long range precision shooting. Have to watch what you call it, cause those sniper rifles shoot those high power cartridges, like .308win and 30-06. Heck those guys do really well with .243win very flat shooting out to 1000 yards. Too bad they are popular hunting cartridges.

I guess that would make you basic deer rifle..............a Sniper Rifle, Oh my.
    Sure is, although it is call long range precision shooting. Have to watch what you call it, cause those sniper rifles shoot those high power cartridges, like .308win and 30-06. Heck those guys do really well with .243win very flat shooting out to 1000 yards. Too bad they are popular hunting cartridges.

I guess that would make you basic deer rifle..............a Sniper Rifle, Oh my.
    UMMM i shoot a 30.06,,, 25.06,, the latter is extremely flat shooting,, just no knock down at range.. this however was a 50 cal.. somewhat ummm larger then my 30 06... yes, i have and do shoot to 900 yards regular like.. moose to 700 but now prefer my pse at 70 pd draw at 11 yards,,, any one can shoot something at range.. getting close is the heart stopper..
    UMMM i shoot a 30.06,,, 25.06,, the latter is extremely flat shooting,, just no knock down at range.. this however was a 50 cal.. somewhat ummm larger then my 30 06... yes, i have and do shoot to 900 yards regular like.. moose to 700 but now prefer my pse at 70 pd draw at 11 yards,,, any one can shoot something at range.. getting close is the heart stopper..
    You should try a long range match, sounds like you'd like it.
    Apparently this likely democrat didn't get the message from davidra that democrats don't threaten people. I'm sure davidra will spin this in such a way that it is likely a member of the tea-party movement, or that this guy "had it coming", but, I thought worth noting. By the way, for those not following SC politics, McMaster (R) is the SC Attorney General who is running for Governor.

The Post and Courier - Threats made against McMaster's life - Charleston SC - postandcourier.com
    PalmPilot, PalmIIIc, Treo 650, Pre, Pre 3, Nokia 1020, Lumia 950

"It's good to be the King" - Mel Brooks, History of the World, Part 1

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." General George S. Patton
    Quote Originally Posted by clemgrad85 View Post
    Apparently this likely democrat didn't get the message from davidra that democrats don't threaten people. I'm sure davidra will spin this in such a way that it is likely a member of the tea-party movement, or that this guy "had it coming", but, I thought worth noting. By the way, for those not following SC politics, McMaster (R) is the SC Attorney General who is running for Governor.

The Post and Courier - Threats made against McMaster's life - Charleston SC - postandcourier.com
    I mean, I realize I'm not blessed with living in the Palmetto State, but since when is a threatening letter about "Jesuits" mean someone was a democrat? Kind of big assumption, don't you think? In fact, how much would you like to bet it doesn't turn out to be a democrat? I'm willing to say that without knowing anything else about the guy or the race...just based on the fact that it was a threat. It was interesting also reading the comments below. Seems like many seem to think this was a joke...
    Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    I mean, I realize I'm not blessed with living in the Palmetto State, but since when is a threatening letter about "Jesuits" mean someone was a democrat? Kind of big assumption, don't you think? In fact, how much would you like to bet it doesn't turn out to be a democrat? I'm willing to say that without knowing anything else about the guy or the race...just based on the fact that it was a threat. It was interesting also reading the comments below. Seems like many seem to think this was a joke...
    Well....of course it's a joke....I mean, when a Republican is threatened it's a joke, not to be taken seriously....probably just some nut case. And why would anyone think that a democrat would threaten a Republican running for Governor. Now.....when a democrat receives a threatening wink....letter....phone call....well, it must be some one from the tea-party movement ready to draw a gun and go do some shooting. Once again davidra, you prove that you have two standards.....a standard for when a Republican is threatened, and a different standard for when a democrat is threatened.

I would be surprised if they ever find who made this threat. But I find it amusing that you are amazed that I would jump to the conclusion that it would be a democrat when you immediately blame any threat on some wild and crazy gun toating member of the tea-party. But I always forget.....you have 2 different set of rules....my bad, and I do apologize for once again forgetting that.

By the way, apparently some took the threat seriously: The note has State Law Enforcement Division agents guarding McMaster around the clock and asking the public for help to identify the person who dropped the note.

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." General George S. Patton
    Well....of course it's a joke....I mean, when a Republican is threatened it's a joke, not to be taken seriously....probably just some nut case. And why would anyone think that a democrat would threaten a Republican running for Governor. Now.....when a democrat receives a threatening wink....letter....phone call....well, it must be some one from the tea-party movement ready to draw a gun and go do some shooting. Once again davidra, you prove that you have two standards.....a standard for when a Republican is threatened, and a different standard for when a democrat is threatened.

I would be surprised if they ever find who made this threat. But I find it amusing that you are amazed that I would jump to the conclusion that it would be a democrat when you immediately blame any threat on some wild and crazy gun toating member of the tea-party. But I always forget.....you have 2 different set of rules....my bad, and I do apologize for once again forgetting that.

By the way, apparently some took the threat seriously: The note has State Law Enforcement Division agents guarding McMaster around the clock and asking the public for help to identify the person who dropped the note.
    Awww. I hate to see you struggle so much trying to defend a post that makes no sense. John Hinckley didn't attack Reagan because he was a republican. You have no clue that this threat came from a democrat, do you? Like I said, I'm still willing to bet this had nothing to do with politics, and more to do with religion...which would make it more likely to be a republican.

Whereas in this case, I think I have a reasonable chance at guessing this was a republican:

Another man left messages for Sen. Debbie Stabenow, saying he was going to get her "like we did RFK; like we did MLK." He turned out to be a 54-year-old gun lover who said he was "really, really drunk" and afraid the government would cancel Sean Hannity and Rush Limbaugh.
    Awww. I hate to see you struggle so much trying to defend a post that makes no sense. John Hinckley didn't attack Reagan because he was a republican. You have no clue that this threat came from a democrat, do you? Like I said, I'm still willing to bet this had nothing to do with politics, and more to do with religion...which would make it more likely to be a republican.

Whereas in this case, I think I have a reasonable chance at guessing this was a republican:
    I'm well aware Hinckley didn't shoot Reagan because he (Reagan) was a Repbulican....I believe it was supposed to be to impress an actress. Seems like I read somewhere he was even considering going after Carter....it was not political.

Anyway....but you did manage to prove my point that you have 2 standards You immediately assume that a "gun lover" has to be a tea-party guy? Don't you own guns? If I was going to guess who was more of a gun lover, you or me, I'd have to say you. I do own one hand gun....but have only owned it for a little over a year. How many guns you own Davidra?

13.    #173  

Hardly a comparison to shooting two cops but will give you and B+ for staying on message so consistently.
    I'm well aware Hinckley didn't shoot Reagan because he (Reagan) was a Repbulican....I believe it was supposed to be to impress an actress. Seems like I read somewhere he was even considering going after Carter....it was not political.

Anyway....but you did manage to prove my point that you have 2 standards You immediately assume that a "gun lover" has to be a tea-party guy? Don't you own guns? If I was going to guess who was more of a gun lover, you or me, I'd have to say you. I do own one hand gun....but have only owned it for a little over a year. How many guns you own Davidra?
    Staying on the wrong message, for sure. I have several guns. I wouldn't call myself a "gun lover", but that wasn't the tip-off. Ya think it might have been that he did it because he was sure that the government was going to cancel Hannity and Limbaugh? Right. Of course, I suppose there are democrats that are self-described "gun lovers" who would threaten someone if Hannity and Limbaugh were canceled...but not any I know. You are actually trying to argue that that person might be a democrat? Now that's funny.
    hey dathomas,

just wanted to say I noticed your thread title was hating on Thomas Jefferson.

good job

not
    @agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
    Quote Originally Posted by 65fastback View Post
    hey dathomas,

just wanted to say I noticed your thread title was hating on Thomas Jefferson.

good job

not
    Oh...you like Jefferson? Maybe you should weigh in with Texas, since the conservatives there wanted to remove him from the history books...and other conservatives have lots of problems with him. But hey, you support him. Good for you.

Cynthia Dunbar, a lawyer from Richmond who is a strict constitutionalist and thinks the nation was founded on Christian beliefs, managed to cut Thomas Jefferson from a list of figures whose writings inspired revolutions in the late 18th century and 19th century, replacing him with St. Thomas Aquinas, John Calvin and William Blackstone. (Jefferson is not well liked among conservatives on the board because he coined the term “separation between church and state.”)
    Oh...you like Jefferson? Maybe you should weigh in with Texas, since the conservatives there wanted to remove him from the history books...and other conservatives have lots of problems with him. But hey, you support him. Good for you.
    maybe you should do some more reading

The removed Jefferson from a WORLD HISTORY book. Not American History or "history" altogether like you want to make it sound.

Why study Jefferson TWICE? Also, John Locke is more important to study in World History....then when you study Jefferson in AMERICAN history, you'll have a better understanding.

I also love that they replaced Jefferson in World History with Calvin, etc.....finally we can get some more religion back into history classes

oh woops, did I forget to mention Im a native Texan?
    @agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)

The removed Jefferson from a WORLD HISTORY book. Not American History or "history" altogether like you want to make it sound.

Why study Jefferson TWICE? Also, John Locke is more important to study in World History....then when you study Jefferson in AMERICAN history, you'll have a better understanding.

I also love that they replaced Jefferson in World History with Calvin, etc.....finally we can get some more religion back into history classes

Go figure. Why am I not surprised?

Actually, I didn't mention what kind of history book, but thanks for assuming what I meant.

Is there a place we donate to support secession? Then you can have actual church services in classrooms, the little kiddies can wear their camo and bring their handguns, and nobody will say a thing.
    Last edited by davidra; 06/01/2010 at 09:50 AM.

I also love that they replaced Jefferson in World History with Calvin, etc.....finally we can get some more religion back into history classes.

hmmm surprise surprise. Maybe just teaching your kids to read, geography, Math and basic history, would be better then teaching religion.
    Studing Jefferson Once would actually be useful.
    I wonder, with all this talk of secession, New Hampshire, Texas, etc etc,, will there be a U.S. of A in a few more years, or a bunch more Canadian Provinces.. lolol
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    hmmm surprise surprise. Maybe just teaching your kids to read, geography, Math and basic history, would be better then teaching religion.
    Religion as a part of world history isn't relevant? I'd say that it had more than a small impact.

You honestly are confused about the difference between that and "teaching religion"?
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.