Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by clemgrad85 View Post
    I've said this before....and davidra didn't apparently seem to think it mattered....but in my opinion anyone who decides they have the right to kill someone is likely not a sane person. Your link above mentioned in it that these acts are done by many folks that are "mentally disturbed." I have a gun....just bought it last year....first gun for me and I have at no time considered going out and shooting anyone with it. I have it for personal protection and hope I never have to use it. I wonder what the actual percent is of those making threats vs the number of gun owners?

Also....wasn't the last President shot a Republican Prez (Reagan) and wasn't Hinckley just basically insane? I may be wrong on this, but I don't think Hinckley was politically motivated but rather trying to impress Jodie Foster (?) or some actress that he was obsessed with. My point, the guy was just a nut. If guns were not around, my guess is he would have figured out some other way to try and kill Reagan.

The thing I'm finding odd in this whole discussion is at the center of attention seems to be "angry white men", however, at least in the area that I live in (Charleston, SC) most of the shootings that occur around here are by black dudes. Are you folks that are so upset with angry white men running around with guns shooting everyone, not worried with happy black people running around shooting people? Liberals are funny.....always focused on what angry white men might do when there are many other dangerous people around us. Go figure.
    Individuals who use a firearm to commit murder in 2006 (the most recent data available for download from the CDC). Excuse the poor formatting, the point is for each white person involved in a gun-related homicide, there were 1 pacific islander, 1.5 native americans, and 9 black people.

Race Year Cause of Death Deaths Population Crude Rate
    White 2006 Homicide Firearm 5279 241440247 2.19
    Black 2006 Homicide Firearm 7113 39357523 18.07
    Am Ind/AK Nat 2006 Homicide Firearm 119 3297444 3.61
    Asian/Pac Isl 2006 Homicide Firearm 280 14267759 1.96
    Total 2006 Homicide Firearm 12791 298362973 4.29
    Last edited by joshaccount; 05/25/2010 at 12:17 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by joshaccount View Post
    Individuals who use a firearm to commit murder in 2006 (the most recent data available for download from the CDC):

Race Year Cause of Death Deaths Population Crude Rate Age-Adjusted Rate
    White 2006 2006 Homicide Firearm 5279 241440247 2.19
    Black 2006 2006 Homicide Firearm 7113 39357523 18.07
    Am Ind/AK Nat 2006 2006 Homicide Firearm 119 3297444 3.61
    Asian/Pac Isl 2006 2006 Homicide Firearm 280 14267759 1.96
    Total 2006 2006 Homicide Firearm 12791 298362973 4.29
    Thanks!....interesting statistics. I'm going to try and find an area where Asians live and move in there. Oh oh, is that racial profiling?
    PalmPilot, PalmIIIc, Treo 650, Pre, Pre 3, Nokia 1020, Lumia 950

"It's good to be the King" - Mel Brooks, History of the World, Part 1

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." General George S. Patton
    Thanks!....interesting statistics. I'm going to try and find an area where Asians live and move in there. Oh oh, is that racial profiling?

Don't waste your time. Just move to a place where they have adequate gun control. All the rates are lower in those places.

Before you have a coronary, I am not in favor of restrictive gun laws. I am a gun owner and user. But I also have no problem with restricting gun access.
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    That's ok. You guys still got Al Gore.
    Hey, that's a really appropriate comparison. NOT. Gore hasn't yet predicted God would drop a pyramid on Iceland, and I haven't heard him mumbling about the Ark of the Covenant. He did win an Oscar, though.
    Last edited by davidra; 05/25/2010 at 12:29 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    Don't waste your time. Just move to a place where they have adequate gun control. All the rates are lower in those places.

Before you have a coronary, I am not in favor of restrictive gun laws. I am a gun owner and user. But I also have no problem with restricting gun access.
    I live in Texas so naturally I've never heard of such a place. Are you speaking of specific states or other countries? I'm not a gun person so I am curious.
    where pay tell would that be?
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Hey, that's a really appropriate comparison. NOT.
    it was a joke for crying out loud!
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    it was a joke for crying out loud!
    Of course Al Gore is a joke, who didn't know that?

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." General George S. Patton
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cjgem View Post
    where pay tell would that be?
    Here's some murder by guns stats. Note that each country's gun laws is just one factor in their rating.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Again with assault rifles? Please look up the definition.

Banana clips LOL!

8 year old's in California of all places being legally able to buy firearms?

Hunting grade, cause no one would ever take a 12gauge pump and shoot stuff up.

Really if you guys would spend some more time reading and educating yourselves, and less time in front of the liberal MSM an informed discussion could take place.
    Oh yeah! I forgot that at that gun rally, they all brought their hunting rifles.......oh wait...

What critters do you hunt with these guns? Do these not fit the definition of an "assault rifle?"

The shear poetic justice of all this as that they are in a national park, protesting that they think that Obama is "Gunna take ma gunz!" But why have the rally in a national park? Because Obama signed the bill to allow caring firearms into national parks.
    "Brace yourself, you beautiful *****. I am about to **** you up with some truth!" - Kenny Powers

"I don't mind paying taxes. With taxes, I purchase civilization."
    - H.L. Mencken
    .... I don't know, but I don't see the angry white man syndrome in this area. Are you saying that I'm lying?
    No, I'm saying that the "but the black guys are worse" argument is a smokescreen, and irrelevant to the conversation about the "angry white tea party" threats. The right has been crying "isolated incident" continually since January 2008, and yet violent threats against the government is up 300%....which suggests the incidents are far from isolated.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Here's some murder by guns stats. Note that each country's gun laws is just one factor in their rating.
    Well, I'm sure we won't settle for less than #1.....we'll have to work harder to pass out South Africa and Columbia!
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    PROTIP: Asian immigrants come from countries that do not allow guns!

"Brace yourself, you beautiful *****. I am about to **** you up with some truth!" - Kenny Powers

"I don't mind paying taxes. With taxes, I purchase civilization."
    - H.L. Mencken
    Quote Originally Posted by joshaccount View Post
    I live in Texas so naturally I've never heard of such a place. Are you speaking of specific states or other countries? I'm not a gun person so I am curious.
    Frankly, I"m not either, but I do know there are a lot more gun-related homcides in the US than in:
    England
    Singapore
    Denmark
    Germany
    Canada
    Switzerland
    India

Gun violence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But the interesting place is really Switzerland, which has more guns per capita than the US, but they have more restrictive permitting (you have to pass an examination about gun laws and how to use a gun). I think all the other countries I named have more restrictive gun laws than the US.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenanator View Post
    PROTIP: Asian immigrants come from countries that do not allow guns!
    hrm.... wonder why they left...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    No, I'm saying that the "but the black guys are worse" argument is a smokescreen, and irrelevant to the conversation about the "angry white tea party" threats. The right has been crying "isolated incident" continually since January 2008, and yet violent threats against the government is up 300%....which suggests the incidents are far from isolated.
    Okay....two things....I never said "but the black guys are worse", what I said was that in the area that I live in the shooters appear to be more black folks than white folks, and yet, this thread was going after angry white guys and how they had to be stopped. As I said, perhaps that is the case in other areas, but all I can speak for is where I live. I would prefer that ALL SHOOTERS (happy or angry, black or white, male or female) be stopped. Why should the color of the skin matter when people are being threatened or shot or killed?

Second, can you give me numbers rather than percent? I mean, if there had been 5 threats against the government in 2008 and in 2009 their were 20 (I believe that would be a 300% increase), that doesn't sound quite as scary as "300%". Any increase is bad, but what are the numbers?

Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Frankly, I"m not either, but I do know there are a lot more gun-related homcides in the US than in:
    England
    Singapore
    Denmark
    Germany
    Canada
    Switzerland
    India

Gun violence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But the interesting place is really Switzerland, which has more guns per capita than the US, but they have more restrictive permitting (you have to pass an examination about gun laws and how to use a gun). I think all the other countries I named have more restrictive gun laws than the US.
    Even you must admit that the gun laws play just a part, and possibly a small part, in these numbers? Poverty, crime levels, ethnic tensions, all play a factor. It's not simply number of guns, or permitting laws.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenanator View Post
    Oh yeah! I forgot that at that gun rally, they all brought their hunting rifles.......oh wait...

What critters do you hunt with these guns? Do these not fit the definition of an "assault rifle?"

The shear poetic justice of all this as that they are in a national park, protesting that they think that Obama is "Gunna take ma gunz!" But why have the rally in a national park? Because Obama signed the bill to allow caring firearms into national parks.
    I'm assuming these pic's were taken in CA? I highly doubt any of those rifles (AR15) are select fire, so NO they are not assault rifles. unless you meant the Garand or the scoped 10/22 which are not either.
    Last edited by cjgem; 05/25/2010 at 01:15 PM.
    Even you must admit that the gun laws play just a part, and possibly a small part, in these numbers? Poverty, crime levels, ethnic tensions, all play a factor. It's not simply number of guns, or permitting laws.
    I totally agree. I also think that every little bit helps, and that if we closed loopholes and used more care in determining who can own a gun (and as has been stated, don't give me second amendment stuff, since not everyone in the country can own a gun) we'd probably be better off with no restriction on law-abiding sane non-violent citizens.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    I'm assuming these pic's were taken in CA? I highly doubt any of those rifles (AR15) are select fire, so NO they are not assault rifles. unless you meant the Garand or the scoped 10/22.
    People see the AR15's and they assume they are set up as assault rifles. It's how they look. They can, in fact, be used for hunting and recreational target practice - just as the "non assault" looking rifles can be.

It's kind of like driving a sporty sedan. It looks like it will go faster and perform like a race car, but it's just.... a family car.
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast