Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenanator View Post
    How often do you have renew your privilege to operate your gun? How often does the gov. inspect your guns to make sure they meet safety standards? What amount of schooling do you have to go through to own a gun? What test do you have to take to gain access to legally use a gun? What license are you required to have to operate a gun?

You can give an 8 year old a gun and he can legally operate it. If you let an 8 year old operate your car, you go to jail. An 8 year old can register a gun, and not a car.

Your gun to car comparison is looking a little weak...
    I'm completely done with fubka, he's on his own now. You seem like a nice person from previous posts and your home town is fun to say out loud, so I'm gonna try and right the ship here.

Forget the 8 year old. He's gone, left the building, never existed. Go back and read post #52.

That person is suggesting, if I read between the lines correctly, that the right to bear arms is responsible for unnecessary deaths, and I disagree. I do not advocate guns, I don't own a gun, and I prefer not to socialize with gun people. However, eluding to the possibility that banning guns will save lives is at best a specious argument...much like banning cars would save lives (that's where the car analogy was born). Legal or banned, there will always be guns, there will always be cars, there will always be alcohol/drugs, etc. Cars kill an amazing amount of people each year, much more so than guns. My original point was irresponsible people kill other people, whether it be with a gun or a car. The solution lies with the operator of each, not the tool itself. And, of course, I don't pretend to actually have that solution.

I'll take the blame for steering the original point into a ditch, I thought my point about how it's easier for a child to legally purchase a car versus a gun was pretty simple but I guess not. Does this help or is my point still muddy?
    Quote Originally Posted by xForsaken View Post
    ya well there is a difference.. cars transport people, are designed for that,,, guns well guns are designed and built to kill things, handguns to kill people.. soo ya there is a big time difference..
    Responding to all your posts at once...

Interesting point. Guns are designed solely for one purpose - to kill. Cars are designed for one main purpose - to transport. Yet cars kill far more people annually than guns. I would never suggest guns be banned, although I'm not a gun person, but if you look at the numbers (crude death rates) cars are far more dangerous than guns. And I still fail to see the difference. They are both tools that are safe if used correctly and deadly if used incorrectly or irresponsibly.

Parents who teach their small children to handle guns, in my opinion, are woefully misguided. You have probably heard this before, but it boggles the mind that you need a license to pull fish out of a lake but any ***** can have 9 kids (and even if you get that license, there's a limit to how many fish you can catch...).

I gave up on my 8 year old argument, it made sense to me, but apparently no one else.
    Quote Originally Posted by joshaccount View Post
    Are you and fubka sitting in front of the same computer? I'm talking about the PURCHASE of a gun. Anyone who saves their allowance (you included) can buy a car and its LEGAL. If that same person attempts to take your hard earned 8 year old allowance in exchange for a gun and they get caught......wait for it........they go to JAIL.

I can't make this any simpler, you're on your own.
    No, you made a generalization about guns being like cars. Now you are losing the argument so you're adding limitations to the debate? I don't think so. It does not work that way.

Now, if some guy thinks he is safer carring a gun, what happens when some thug pulls his gun first trying to rob him?

A. The man reaches for his gun, gets shot, possibly killed, thug ends up with another gun.

B. The man does not reach for his gun but gets robbed, thug ends up with another gun.

C. Man gets into gun fight with thug, neither of which have any realistic firearm training, shooting wildly at each other possibly hitting themselves or those around them. Some one could get shot, thug could end up with another gun. (Those that think they should carry seem to think they are going to be navy seals/John Wayne when it comes to gun wielding.)

D. Man is unarmed, cooperates with the thug, hands over his wallet, gets a good description of the thug, promptly cancels all credit cards and calls authorities. Lives another day. Thug does not add to arsenal or have another gun to sell to another thug.

I have grown up around firearms. I have been taught proper handling and I have the respect for them that they require. I am a very respectable shot, yet I am smart enough not to think that I am some cowboy and carry a weapon on me. If you do, you are only asking for more trouble by escalating the situation when your dealing with some thug who is either going to be real nervous, and over react and shoot you, or overly aggressive.......and shoot you. Sorry, it is better to be alive than a hero in those situations.
    "Brace yourself, you beautiful *****. I am about to **** you up with some truth!" - Kenny Powers

"I don't mind paying taxes. With taxes, I purchase civilization."
    - H.L. Mencken
    No, you made a generalization about guns being like cars. Now you are losing the argument so you're adding limitations to the debate? I don't think so. It does not work that way.
    I'm not arguing. I'm making a point and I stand by it. Guns and cars are both tools to be used responsibly, that is my generalization. Hopefully neither one of us needs to know there is a winner and a loser at the end of this discussion.

Now, if some guy thinks he is safer carring a gun, what happens when some thug pulls his gun first trying to rob him?

A. The man reaches for his gun, gets shot, possibly killed, thug ends up with another gun.

B. The man does not reach for his gun but gets robbed, thug ends up with another gun.

C. Man gets into gun fight with thug, neither of which have any realistic firearm training, shooting wildly at each other possibly hitting themselves or those around them. Some one could get shot, thug could end up with another gun. (Those that think they should carry seem to think they are going to be navy seals/John Wayne when it comes to gun wielding.)

D. Man is unarmed, cooperates with the thug, hands over his wallet, gets a good description of the thug, promptly cancels all credit cards and calls authorities. Lives another day. Thug does not add to arsenal or have another gun to sell to another thug.

I have grown up around firearms. I have been taught proper handling and I have the respect for them that they require. I am a very respectable shot, yet I am smart enough not to think that I am some cowboy and carry a weapon on me. If you do, you are only asking for more trouble by escalating the situation when your dealing with some thug who is either going to be real nervous, and over react and shoot you, or overly aggressive.......and shoot you. Sorry, it is better to be alive than a hero in those situations.
    I agree with 100% of what you just said. I also believe responsible people have the right to bear arms and make their own decisions regarding whether to carry. Again, I'm not a gun person nor will I ever own one. However, in my opinion banning guns is not a solution.
    I'm completely done with fubka, he's on his own now. You seem like a nice person from previous posts and your home town is fun to say out loud, so I'm gonna try and right the ship here.
    I hope I am a nice guy! My town is fun to say, but my street name, with the rest of my address, takes a day and a half to write because it is so long...

Forget the 8 year old. He's gone, left the building, never existed. Go back and read post #52.
    He was such a nice boy...

That person is suggesting, if I read between the lines correctly, that the right to bear arms is responsible for unnecessary deaths, and I disagree. I do not advocate guns, I don't own a gun, and I prefer not to socialize with gun people. However, eluding to the possibility that banning guns will save lives is at best a specious argument...much like banning cars would save lives (that's where the car analogy was born). Legal or banned, there will always be guns, there will always be cars, there will always be alcohol/drugs, etc. Cars kill an amazing amount of people each year, much more so than guns. My original point was irresponsible people kill other people, whether it be with a gun or a car. The solution lies with the operator of each, not the tool itself. And, of course, I don't pretend to actually have that solution.
    We are actually not that far off. I don't have too much of a problem with guns in general, just assault rifles. I don't own one myself, but I will have a hand gun someday, but just because I enjoy target shooting at the gun range. I will never carry on my person, and it will be locked away when not in use.

I see guns with citizens vs thugs as kind of like a small "cold war." If a citizen is going to carry a 9mm, thugs will carry .45's, and so on. There will always be a bigger gun out there. I say if you have a gun pointed at you, just cooperate. Your odds will be 1000% better than if you tried to pull a gun and retaliate. So, yeah, I think carrying guns will lead to more violence.

Will bad guys always have guns? Yeah, but with common sense, the odds of them using it will go down.

I'll take the blame for steering the original point into a ditch, I thought my point about how it's easier for a child to legally purchase a car versus a gun was pretty simple but I guess not. Does this help or is my point still muddy?
    I have yet to see a thread on here stay on track...
    "Brace yourself, you beautiful *****. I am about to **** you up with some truth!" - Kenny Powers

- H.L. Mencken
    We are actually not that far off. I don't have too much of a problem with guns in general, just assault rifles. I don't own one myself, but I will have a hand gun someday, but just because I enjoy target shooting at the gun range. I will never carry on my person, and it will be locked away when not in use.
    I'm ok with assault rifles, but not for civilians, whats the point? And I'm for gun ownership and the right to carry (civil liberties) but would feel safer if I knew gun owners left them at home. My police sergeant buddy tells me gun owners are more likely to be shot by their own weapon then by the weapon of a criminal. Not sure if that's true or just a catchy thing to say?
    I'm ok with assault rifles, but not for civilians, whats the point?
    Exactly. There is no point to owning one. Yeah they are cool, but you don't need to have one in your pocession.

And I'm for gun ownership and the right to carry (civil liberties) but would feel safer if I knew gun owners left them at home.
    I think the "right to bare arms" had its time and place, when the US did not have an established military and had to rely on its citizens to join forces. We don't live in those times anymore so I don't see the necessity of it. Sure, you can own a gun, just leave it locked up at home.

My police sergeant buddy tells me gun owners are more likely to be shot by their own weapon then by the weapon of a criminal. Not sure if that's true or just a catchy thing to say?
    I wouldn't doubt it at all if what he was saying was true. A lot of people who get guns do not get properly trained on how to handle them. If I ran the world, you would have to go through gun safety training before getting a license that would allow you to buy a gun.

- H.L. Mencken
    some where now, the "libertarian" will come in with, just let the cities, blocks, households make the rules. That's where the guns will be anyways right? As if they wouldn't infiltrate the county,state,seaboard. The gun factory doesn't make 1 or 2. They make thousands at a time...

If all people have the right to "bear arms" why do we deny them to the mentally unchallenged, or the young? Courts have ruled that children have the right to free speech... why not the right to own a assault rifle with a banana clip just for target practice?

If we can limit who gets guns, we can limit what guns they get. And we should.
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    some where now, the "libertarian" will come in with, just let the cities, blocks, households make the rules. That's where the guns will be anyways right? As if they wouldn't infiltrate the county,state,seaboard. The gun factory doesn't make 1 or 2. They make thousands at a time...

If all people have the right to "bear arms" why do we deny them to the mentally unchallenged, or the young? Courts have ruled that children have the right to free speech... why not the right to own a assault rifle with a banana clip just for target practice?

If we can limit who gets guns, we can limit what guns they get. And we should.
    What's your take on states rights? Do you think individual states should have the right to decide the issues of gun ownership?
    What's your take on states rights? Do you think individual states should have the right to decide the issues of gun ownership?
    No, I don't. The weapon is impossible to stop from crossing state lines. A federal requirement is required. These laws should allow ownership and transportation a crossed state lines. These laws should also restrict weapons to hunting grade as well...
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Again with assault rifles? Please look up the definition.

Banana clips LOL!

8 year old's in California of all places being legally able to buy firearms?

Hunting grade, cause no one would ever take a 12gauge pump and shoot stuff up.

Really if you guys would spend some more time reading and educating yourselves, and less time in front of the liberal MSM an informed discussion could take place.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post

I don't get it. He doesn't sound unusual for a T-bagger to me.

Newser) – Republican leaders have declared open war on Tim D'Annunzio, a Tea Party-backed North Carolina congressional candidate who they fear may be insane. They're publicizing documents from D'Annunzio's divorce, in which his wife testifies that he called himself the messiah, predicted god would drop a 1,000-mile high pyramid on Greenland, and claimed to have found the Ark of the Covenant in Arizona. A doctor also revealed that he smokes pot almost every day, reports the AP Years later, a judge ruled that he had willfully skipped child support payments, adding that he'd described himself as a “religious zealot” who considered the government the “Antichrist.” The chairman of the North Carolina GOP says D'Annunzio “has disqualified himself by his background, his record and his behavior.” But he might actually win; he got more votes initial primary voting than anyone else, and has plenty of cash for his runoff with local sportscaster Harold Johnson.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    That's ok. You guys still got Al Gore.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Congressional Death Threats Up 300%: FBI - Most suspects are men with guns, many mentally disturbed

My favorite part:

Another man left messages for Sen. Debbie Stabenow, saying he was going to get her "like we did RFK; like we did MLK." He turned out to be a 54-year-old gun lover who said he was "really, really drunk" and afraid the government would cancel Sean Hannity and Rush Limbaugh.
    Man, those "isolated incidents" seem to be stacking up on top of each other.

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Congressional Death Threats Up 300%: FBI - Most suspects are men with guns, many mentally disturbed

My favorite part:

I've said this before....and davidra didn't apparently seem to think it mattered....but in my opinion anyone who decides they have the right to kill someone is likely not a sane person. Your link above mentioned in it that these acts are done by many folks that are "mentally disturbed." I have a gun....just bought it last year....first gun for me and I have at no time considered going out and shooting anyone with it. I have it for personal protection and hope I never have to use it. I wonder what the actual percent is of those making threats vs the number of gun owners?

Also....wasn't the last President shot a Republican Prez (Reagan) and wasn't Hinckley just basically insane? I may be wrong on this, but I don't think Hinckley was politically motivated but rather trying to impress Jodie Foster (?) or some actress that he was obsessed with. My point, the guy was just a nut. If guns were not around, my guess is he would have figured out some other way to try and kill Reagan.

The thing I'm finding odd in this whole discussion is at the center of attention seems to be "angry white men", however, at least in the area that I live in (Charleston, SC) most of the shootings that occur around here are by black dudes. Are you folks that are so upset with angry white men running around with guns shooting everyone, not worried with happy black people running around shooting people? Liberals are funny.....always focused on what angry white men might do when there are many other dangerous people around us. Go figure.
    PalmPilot, PalmIIIc, Treo 650, Pre, Pre 3, Nokia 1020, Lumia 950

"It's good to be the King" - Mel Brooks, History of the World, Part 1

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." General George S. Patton
    Quote Originally Posted by clemgrad85 View Post
    Liberals are funny.....always focused on what angry white men might do when there are many other dangerous people around us. Go figure.
    And the funny thing about conservatives are that they ignore the data that clearly shows our political climate is creating these unbalanced angry white men, simply by saying "but the black guys are worse".

Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    And the funny thing about conservatives are that they ignore the data that clearly shows our political climate is creating these unbalanced angry white men, simply by saying "but the black guys are worse".
    Huh? Sorry, I'm getting old and senile. I've reread this like 5 times now and getting more lost each time. Please recast it out for me? I hate to miss out on good bait
    That isn't my opinion, that is just what I see on my local news and in the local paper. I can only speak for my area on that. Perhaps where you live, there are more angry white men running around shooting people, I can't answer that, maybe you can explain what you see in your area? Maybe the newspapers are lying and making up these reports, I don't know, but I don't see the angry white man syndrome in this area. Are you saying that I'm lying?
    PalmPilot, PalmIIIc, Treo 650, Pre, Pre 3, Nokia 1020, Lumia 950

"It's good to be the King" - Mel Brooks, History of the World, Part 1

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." General George S. Patton
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast