1.    #1  
    Google just announced they're going to open source (and make royalty free) VP8 as a codec and are switching youtube over to it right now. Die a quick death h.264 codec. please.
    Yay, another new codec. As much as royalties suck, h.264 is pretty widely adopted by hardware manufacturers already. I wouldn't be surprised if they get pushed on by the people that own the h.264 patents. I hate having to re-encode my videos. Maybe it will push OGG into the mainstream. I have an old Samsung MP3 player that supports it, nothing else does.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    I have an old Samsung MP3 player that supports it, nothing else does.
    I used to love my Rio Karma which supported Ogg Vorbis. I still have AeroPlayer on my Centro with my music in Vorbis. At the lower bit rates, it's hard to beat.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    What is happening to video today takes me back to the 1987 and beyond remembering the Unisys/Compuserve "Graphics Interchange Format" v/s the Internet and licensing fees...
    H264 is hardware decoded by phones, Nvidia and ati videocards, and lots of other devices. Now VP8... what is VP8?
    i don't think it's a very good move at this time
    I have to agree; better would have been news that 264's been opened.