Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Am I the only one noticing that BP isn't trying to stop the leak? They are only giving options which include pipes to still get that oil! If they weren't so worried that they will be missing out on the oil, it would be plugged by now!!! God, I hate oil... John Meyer said the Gulf is now a vinaigrette... Too funny!
    you hate oil? Look at that pre your holding.... how much oil do you think goes into making it and shipping it to you? I'd say I hate oil that doesn't know its place in the world and thinks it can get all flowy with the fishes....
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
  3.    #3  
    I work in the electric vehicle market. And yes, oil is a joke!
  4.    #4  
    And Mrloserpunk... Do you not see they aren't trying to plug it?
    You may work in the electric vehicle market, but there is plenty of oil used in making that vehicle and they are years away from mass use in the world.
  6.    #6  
    Jim, it isn't about whether you like oil or not. We have had viable altenatives for years. The first cars were electric. I understand the use in plastic and others. It is just it could be so less used. Coal too, is a joke when we have the ability to use electricity.

The topic was 'am I the only one that sees BP not trying to plug it?'

Whether or not you love oil is not relevant!

Oh, and Jim, they are only years away due to the oil co's want it that way. Not because it isn't a proven technology! I do this everyday, and you can believe those who want you to believe in oil or the truth. Watch 'Who killed the electric car' and get back to me...
    Last edited by Meltedwire; 05/16/2010 at 12:05 PM.
  7.    #7  
    Damn, now you all have me off topic too!
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    I understand their desire to use the oil but i am surethat if pluggged, they could drill a new wellhead in the future to "relieve the pressure" and get oil out that way. I am unsure if it is greed driving their choice to not yet plug it. It is hard to plug soomething under very high pressure, then again i dont know the net difference in pressure 5000 ft under water. - just a thought.
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    How do you see that they are not trying to plug it? Have you been down there? Are they just sitting around doing nothing? Given that the leak is 1 mile down I suspect it is not as easy as you seem to think it is.

Oh, and I guess that electricity for your electric vehicles just materializes from thin air. As to coal, isn't most of our electricity generated from coal?
    Quote Originally Posted by Meltedwire View Post
    And Mrloserpunk... Do you not see they aren't trying to plug it?
    They are, the world is demanding it. They are trying to hide the amount of oil leaked and thus limiting their damages, but to say they are not even trying to is to say that all the environmental people who are assisting in fixing this issue are either blind, being paid off or stupid.

It wouldn't be difficult to see that they are making no effort. How much do you think they have spent on attempts to plug it so far? I understand you are pro electric car and have that in your background, but do you understand the complexities and challenges with working at 5,000 feet below the surface of the ocean?

They have tried to cap it, to activate the blowout and to put a pipe in to to channel the flow, all have failed.... What's your idea to stop it?
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    I work in the electric vehicle market. And yes, oil is a joke!
    You should consider starting a thread on electric cars so we can discuss what a joke they are...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mastertech View Post
    You should consider starting a thread on electric cars so we can discuss what a joke they are...
    electric cars aren't a joke look at the tesla roadster. The regular model does 0-60miles in 3.9 seconds, while the the sport model does it in 3.7. In 2012 they will release 4 door family car called model-s which will go 0-60 in 5.6 seconds, which is equal to the acceleration of a porch boxster. Its also got a 300 mile range, and a 45 minute quick charge. It will cost about 50 000.

Tesla Motors - Model S

now gm's attempt at a electric car is a joke.
    To bad it's out of most peoples price range.
    Electric cars are a joke. What about disposal and the price of the batteries when they go bad. What about the fuel used at the power plant to charge these cars. A big percentage of power plants are fueled by what, coal, natural gas...etc etc.
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    I bet they would blame this on Bush if he's still the president.
    ...that BP isn't trying to stop the leak? They are only giving options which include pipes to still get that oil!

Man, ignorance is bliss.

In my opinion, the lead drilling engineer (from the service company) should be butchered. Blowouts sometimes just happen (they’re dealing with more stresses and pressures than anywhere else on the planet).. I don’t believe any of the BS coming from the senate investigation; they’re just trying to get brownie points.

The emergency BOP (blowout preventer; the thing that clamps on the pipe in an emergency like this) did what it was supposed to do and tried to squeeze the pipe, but the engineers left a piece of equipment inside the pipe right at that location. Stuff like that should not be there, there’s no excuse for it- the BOP squeezed the pipe, but wasn’t able to get it all the way because of this in the way equipment. (Similar to the Ixtoc I blowout)

BP has been drilling new intersection wells since right after the rig blew up. They have two new rigs that are in the general area of the blown out well which are drilling horizontally underground from maybe a mile away, and will hit the existing blown out pipe (imagine hitting a 8in pipe from around mile away, below 5000ft of water + - 1 mile underground). Once they intersect the existing pipe below ground, they have to fill up the blown out well will stuff (drilling mud / concrete). IF YOU understood what a blowout is.. the ridiculousness of your first statement would be apparent. Oil/gas is not leaking from just a broken pipe on the surface, but the pipe itself is broken underground somewhere, and under pressure oil/gas is leaking out of the pipe, as it rises up through the seafloor it expands greatly, once it hits the seafloor, it keeps expanding until it reaches the surface (1 atmosphere or pressure every 33ft). That’s why they built the funnel to set on top of the leaking area, to collect the stuff that’s leaking not only from the pipe, but from around it (standard procedure..). The point is to suck up the oil at the seafloor until the pipe can be plugged.

Now, I’ve heard the news constantly misrepresent the amount of oil that is leaking / can be leaking. They are constantly confusing gallons with barrels, and don’t understand the production capacity of the equipment that is allowing the oil to leak. 5000 barrels at 42US gallons / barrel = 210000 gallons, which is about 1/3rd the capacity of an average Olympic sized swimming pool. So think an Olympic sized pool every 3 days. This well simply CANNOT be leaking much more than 5000 - 8000 barrels a day, don’t believe the media hype. I am not trying to marginalize the significance of an oil spill like this, especially over time.. but they need to get the facts straight.

A completely different issue is how our US Gov. dissolved the oil companies of their assets in the early 1990’s and took responsibility for the contingency of disasters thereafter. BIG OIL had a somewhat cooperative insurance partnership between all the players (remember the speed of the Valdez cleanup?) , and incredibly detailed contingency plans (and global positioning of tools / emergency supplies for these plans) for all sorts of disasters like this. Our Gov stopped all of this, started taxing the oil companies for the creation of a Gov backed response group, but never actually created it. (That’s why companies like BP can choose to follow a Gov. issued cap on disaster expenses @ $75million- or, a drop in the bucket.)

(My apologizes for the rant... just wish people understood more of reality, .. & didn't just repeat ignorant paper selling and hypocrisy)

There are also political agendas at play here, which popularize opinions and position information in a way which distorts facts.
    Last edited by hdc4; 05/16/2010 at 03:18 PM. Reason: grammar corrections & clarifiactions
    Quote Originally Posted by jewel View Post
    I bet they would blame this on Bush if he's still the president.
    Actually, I think some were saying certain safety precautions proposed were voted down by his administration.

All I know is my gut wrenches in pain everytime I think of this sad mess.
    I hope the out come is a weakened oil lobby... But I doubt it will....
    Quote Originally Posted by nimer55 View Post
    electric cars aren't a joke look at the tesla roadster. The regular model does 0-60miles in 3.9 seconds, while the the sport model does it in 3.7. In 2012 they will release 4 door family car called model-s which will go 0-60 in 5.6 seconds, which is equal to the acceleration of a porch boxster. Its also got a 300 mile range, and a 45 minute quick charge. It will cost about 50 000.

Tesla Motors - Model S

now gm's attempt at a electric car is a joke.
    Yes they making tremendous progress on an electric car but remember - every action also impacts other areas. For example: what happens if electric cars become very popular and begin selling like hot cakes: When it came time to plug it in to recharge, in no time it would overload our electrical grid system in this country. Our electrical grid is not equipped to take it.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    electric cars have been around for decades. If the oil companies wernt all controlled by big government, we would have more choices weather or not to spend 3$ a gallon. Just like everyone is still told the SR-21 blackbird is still the fastest plane in the world. It was built in the early 50's. Along with eletric cars. What happened to the Jetsons?
    Electric cars & what we now call hybrids were designed in the 50's, but there has to be real demand for change (which there hasn't been). There are many advancements in technology (even in the auto industry) which would allow a different situation we are now in.

Fast Change does not happen naturally, there are only two reasons things change: 1) a rapid technological advancement introduces a paradigm shift, 2) things get too bad (living standard, ease of advancement in society, costs, etc.) where popular out-lash forces rapid change.

Why don't cars & trucks operate off of turbine engines mounted to generators / alternators to produce energy for extremely efficient electric motors? The DOD figured out that its more efficient for the M1 Abrams Tank Why are single engine airplanes not allowed to use Wankel engine when they are proven to be safer than reciprocating piston engines? Why even keep using high speed interstate highway systems when rail throughout history has proven more efficient in both energy cost and construction cost?

There a very logical and whole argument on transitioning to a 'hydrogen economy' which would use existing infrastructure to replace hydrocarbons with hydrogen, which burns clean or be directly converted to electricity (fuel cell)... and it can easily be produced via electrolysis near any water source or through a nuclear reactor.

I guess the point is: We will always have an oil industry because they provide many things we need which can not be made without hydrocarbons. But.. some systems our economies are based off of (transportation, industrial & commercial power generation) can go through a major change... but something has to change as an incentive for this, things have to get too bad, or new technology created which upsets the current standards.

Lastly, we cant count on government to make changes like these.. its not one of the functions of government. We have a free market which can act as a mechanism for major change (look what Ford did to the horse markets in every city & what Edison did to the whale oil industry). Allow business to fail without influence, better ones will take there place.

note: All of the technological changes I mention have been around for 40+ years.
    Last edited by hdc4; 05/16/2010 at 04:05 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast