Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 34 of 34
  1. #21  
    four things to avoid eating in the south (or anywhere):

    tripe
    chitlins
    grits
    collard greens

    especially tripe...
  2. groovy's Avatar
    Posts
    941 Posts
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    #22  
    Man, I've been there. I feel for you Berd. Even though you'll get home long before me, I'd much rather be in a comfy hotel room than DFW. Safe travels my friend.
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    LOl so did you try them out?
    Nope, but I have since. I was right to not try them after getting off a plane.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    four things to avoid eating in the south (or anywhere):

    tripe
    chitlins
    grits
    collard greens

    especially tripe...
    Tripe.... looks yummy....

    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    four things to avoid eating in the south (or anywhere):

    tripe
    chitlins
    grits
    collard greens

    especially tripe...
    Grits are all right. They can't make them right up North lol. The best I've had were in Baton Rouge La., But then all the food close to New Orleans is good. Damn! I'm making myself hungry.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan


    Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by vza33 View Post
    Grits are all right. They can't make them right up North lol. The best I've had were in Baton Rouge La., But then all the food close to New Orleans is good. Damn! I'm making myself hungry.
    I had grits in South Carolina, but I yankeefied them. Brown sugar makes them Yankee grits.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    four things to avoid eating in the south (or anywhere):

    tripe
    chitlins
    grits
    collard greens

    especially tripe...
    I'm a southerner, born and bred. I agree with you on the first three, but I love collard greens.
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    I had grits in South Carolina, but I yankeefied them. Brown sugar makes them Yankee grits.
    groung up corn makes them like eating creme of wheat with sand in it. No amount of sugar takes away the sensation of sand in my mouth...
  8. #28  
    [QUOTE=pogeypre;2454177]Nope, but I have since. I was right to not try them after getting off a plane.

    did you happen to look up WHY tripe looks like that? A quick google and you will throw up a litle in your mouth.

    Tripe.... looks yummy....

    [IMG]
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by bevcraw View Post
    I'm a southerner, born and bred. I agreed with you on the first three, but I love collard greens.
    yes, but it's an acquired taste. Someone that didn't grow up with it is better off avoiding, or they are in for a surprise.

    I left one more out. Boiled peanuts...

    never understood the apeal of warm, wet, mushy peanuts...
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    groung up corn makes them like eating creme of wheat with sand in it. No amount of sugar takes away the sensation of sand in my mouth...
    When they are prepared right they are smooth and creamy. I like them with salt, pepper and a little hot sauce. Yumm!
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan


    Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
  11. #31  
    [quote=Cantaffordit;2454211]
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    Nope, but I have since. I was right to not try them after getting off a plane.

    did you happen to look up WHY tripe looks like that? A quick google and you will throw up a litle in your mouth.

    Tripe.... looks yummy....

    [IMG]
    I have experience with tripe in the Philippines. It can look much worse than the somewhat passable picture I googled.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by vza33 View Post
    When they are prepared right they are smooth and creamy. I like them with salt, pepper and a little hot sauce. Yumm!
    I actually quite liked them with brown sugar. When I had them the second time, the people we were staying with made me put salt and butter on it.... I didn't like them then.

    Yankeefied grits are good.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
  13. #33  
    I would think tripe is more an Italian dish. They got it mastered but you have to get it fresh. All the chains use frozen. As far as grits and all the other southern food including craw fish and red beans & rice, I love it all. Even suck the heads on the craw fish. All the flavor is there. Must be from my teen years living in N.O. Was hungry after the daily fights I got in because they hated Yankees back then. We love the south so much I have a place in "Na-lins"
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

    HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    I actually quite liked them with brown sugar. When I had them the second time, the people we were staying with made me put salt and butter on it.... I didn't like them then.

    Yankeefied grits are good.
    Lol, you might as well just eat Cream of Wheat. I'm a yankee but I've never tried them sweetend.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan


    Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions