Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1.    #41  
    Why did this not get bumped to the top when I posted? Am I here. Can anyone hear me?
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
    Originally posted by Toby
    Which beers are those? Any beer that tastes like paper-pulp is bad (stale). That's oxidization at work. Either the brewer's not very good, or somebody's mishandling his beer.
    Or, someone (me) is being overly-dramatic with their descriptive terms...

[B]Corona and Beck's are _extremely_ fragile beers. Clear and green glass are the worst things you can do to a beer when its habitat is going to be sitting on a shelf under flourescent lighting at room temperature. Stick it in a case in a cooler, and it'll have a chance to be the best Corona or Becks it can be (for whatever _that's_ worth ). [/b/
    Or drink at a dark-hole-in-the-wall bar with sliding coolers with no florescent lights. I know you might not agree, but a cold Corona Light with a lime on a screened in porch on the beach or low-country canal, especially near the beginning of one's vacation, is hard to beat.

As far as Bud is concerned, it gives me a headache. Smell that green apple smell? It's called acetaldehyde. It's endemic to their beers (their yeast strain produces it out the wazoo). It's part of their target profile, though, so they hit it every time. A-B has some of the most impressive processes out there. It's too bad that they don't try their hand at making something a bit more substantive. Guess it's a good thing I don't have to wait for them to do it.
    I thought it was the beech-wood that gave it that smell.
    Originally posted by K. Cannon
    Or, someone (me) is being overly-dramatic with their descriptive terms...
    Perhaps you were being overdramatic, but that _is_ a definite taste/smell sensation associated with oxidation. It means that either the beer is old or wasn't handled properly on its trip into the container.
    Or drink at a dark-hole-in-the-wall bar with sliding coolers with no florescent lights.
    You think they load the coolers at night with no lights on? The only bar owners I know that do that tend to consume too much of their own product.
    I know you might not agree, but a cold Corona Light with a lime on a screened in porch on the beach or low-country canal, especially near the beginning of one's vacation, is hard to beat.
    *shrug* I have a Corona with lime on occasion myself, but only under the right circumstances.
    I thought it was the beech-wood that gave it that smell.
    Nah, they don't want any wood taste getting into the beer, so they leech _everything_ out of it before it's introduced into the beer. The beechwood is just to provide surface area for the yeast to work with to condense the time it takes to remove most lager yeast characteristics (lager yeast is named after the process normally required to age it and remove some less than pleasant aspects of lager yeast).
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    "Mapquest sucks. I suspect they get their funding from oil corporations. I shaved off 3 hours taking a look at a map for the return trip. "

People routinely get off of 90 near where I live expecting to be headed for Boston (instead they're headed for NYC) because of Mapquest. I suspect you're on to something- perhaps the funding is a joint effort involving tire manufacturers also.

"Ceramic knives. Believe the hype? "

What hype? Are they supposed to taste better? Prevent cavities? Guard against gingivitis?

"Anyone know how to make little green apples?"

It is best to start with an apple tree. Let it grow up. When it begins to bear fruit, pick the fruit before it ripens. Abracadabra-presto chango-alaczam- little green apples!

NEWS FLASH!!

BobbyMike, Aka Michael Walters, decides enough is enough- says goodbye to car sales! He was quoted recently saying at the end of the month he was going back to total dependence on his own efforts and not working for "the Man" anymore. Sources close to BobbyMike say he was consistently frustrated with the repeated lies and untruths issuing forth from peoples mouths when it came to buying/selling cars.
    "I feel like the very act of buying a car can bring out the worst parts of peoples personalities. While I met some truly nice people (on both sides) I'm tired of the way I feel at the end of the day."
    BobbyMike is leaving the dealership as the senior Nissan saleman, after seeing approximately 62 other salespeople come and go in just two short years. He plans to split his time between online sales of his companies antique millinery supplies, cabinet making, homeschooling his three boys, developing computer games, and supporting his churches mission field.

END OF NEWS FLASH!!
    "I am a debtor both to Greeks and to Barbarians, both to the wise and to the foolish."
    Originally posted by BobbyMike
    BobbyMike, Aka Michael Walters, decides enough is enough- says goodbye to car sales...He plans to split his time between online sales of his companies antique millinery supplies, cabinet making, homeschooling his three boys, developing computer games, and supporting his churches mission field.
    Congrats on your decision, Michael! Much luck and have fun!
    Kelley
    P.S. Don't you want to get us all good deals on that new V-6 Altima before you go? (Just kidding.)
    Perhaps you were being overdramatic, but that _is_ a definite taste/smell sensation associated with oxidation.
    Rats...I thought I had made up a good descriptive term.
    Rats...I thought I had made up a good descriptive term.
    Sorry...
    http://www.realbeer.co.nz/library/au...cardboard.html
    http://www.sallys-place.com/beverage...ting_beers.htm
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
  8.    #48  
    People routinely get off of 90 near where I live expecting to be headed for Boston (instead they're headed for NYC) because of Mapquest. I suspect you're on to something- perhaps the funding is a joint effort involving tire manufacturers also.
    The mileage was comparable between mapquest and my own. Mapquest just had me driving through 3 good-sized metropolis areas (Twin Cities, Madison, and Chicago). The only town I had to slow down for on the return trip was Des Moines. Plus, I didn't have to drive on Minnesota (or anyone else's save Indiana for that matter) state highways. 55mph is nuts.

What hype? Are they supposed to taste better? Prevent cavities? Guard against gingivitis?
    Rarely, if ever, are they supposed to need sharpening. Depending on the ceramic, they're supposed to be just shy of diamonds WRT hardness.

BobbyMike, Aka Michael Walters, decides enough is enough- says goodbye to car sales.
    And that is why I hate purchasing a vehicle. The people with comparable morals to my own never stay in the business long enough to sell me more than one vehicle.
    -Joshua
    Originally posted by ****-richardson
    Rarely, if ever, are they supposed to need sharpening. Depending on the ceramic, they're supposed to be just shy of diamonds WRT hardness.
    But don't drop a ceramic knife on a hard floor. I've heard they shatter!
    "Anyone know how to make little green apples?"

It is best to start with an apple tree. Let it grow up. When it begins to bear fruit, pick the fruit before it ripens. Abracadabra-presto chango-alaczam- little green apples!
    Sure as God made little green apples... So another route to making them is to become God.
    Jeff
  10.    #50  
    Originally posted by PDAENVY
    But don't drop a ceramic knife on a hard floor. I've heard they shatter! Sure as God made little green apples... So another route to making them is to become God.
    Actually, God didn't make little green apples.
    -Joshua
    Originally posted by ****-richardson
    Actually, God didn't make little green apples.
    So she doesn't love you?
  12.    #52  
    So she doesn't love you?
    I thought so, but I can't bring myself to believe in Dr. Suess.
    -Joshua
    . . . (about beer, again) . . .
    New Castle Brown Ale is my beer of choice, when I have a choice.
    It is really good. I recommend trying, at least to try it.
    In fairness to me, those sites refer to "cardboard" and "wet cardboard." My description "paper pulp" is mine and mine alone...mwahhh haha.
    In fairness to me, those sites refer to "cardboard" and "wet cardboard." My description "paper pulp" is mine and mine alone...mwahhh haha.
    All of the sources I have that refer to wet paper pulp and wet cardboard as synonymous oxidation defects are real world sources (books by Dave Miller or Charlie Papazian). Those were just handy.
    All of the sources I have that refer to wet paper pulp and wet cardboard as synonymous oxidation defects are real world sources (books by Dave Miller or Charlie Papazian). Those were just handy.
    Oh well...guess I'll have to go cry in my bland, too-cold, American beer!!
    Oh well...guess I'll have to go cry in my bland,
    Yes, it is bland.
    too-cold,
    Here, you're wrong. NAILs (North American Industrial Lagers) are served too cold for most real beer styles (real ales are made for cellar temp, i.e. ~55F; lagers can go a bit lower for serving). I think they're served at exactly the right temp, though. Have you ever _tried_ any of those things at warmer temps?
    American beer!!
    It should also be noted that not all American beer is bland (I really miss Louisiana Brewing R.I.P.).
    [B]Yes, it is bland.
    I have no doubt that you know a heck of a lot more than I (and probably more than most people for that matter) regarding the brewing and beer making process. But, if I like the taste of American beer better than I like the taste of *insert fancy beer name here*, why am I wrong?

I like a St. Emillion, my husband prefers Merlot. Who's right? No one--people just have different tastes.

P.S. Sorry about your Louisiana Brewing Company.
    I have no doubt that you know a heck of a lot more than I (and probably more than most people for that matter) regarding the brewing and beer making process. But, if I like the taste of American beer better than I like the taste of *insert fancy beer name here*, why am I wrong?
    huh? I think you misunderstand me. I didn't say you were wrong for liking it. I said you were wrong that it was served too cold. It's served at the temperature recommended by its brewer. It's a cold beverage designed to deliver alcohol into your system promoting a sense of well-being and refreshment without 'offending' the palate. Nothing wrong with that at all. That's just not what I drink beer for. AAMOF, Guinness Pub Draught has less alcohol in it than say... Bud Ice (and probably the same as or less than regular Bud). The flavor is the primary attractor for me. The chemical effects are a nice by-product. Note that I'm not saying chemical effects are primary for all Bud drinkers either.
    I like a St. Emillion, my husband prefers Merlot. Who's right? No one--people just have different tastes.
    I'm not sure why you're thinking that I disagree with that.
    P.S. Sorry about your Louisiana Brewing Company.
    C'est la vie. I can still make similar beers if I want.
    huh? I think you misunderstand me. I didn't say you were wrong for liking it. I said you were wrong that it was served too cold.
    Oh--I wasn't really commenting specifically on your saying I was wrong b/c it was served too cold... I was just grousing at the typical attitude most (but evidently not you) "fancy" beer drinkers have towards regular beer drinkers.

I'm not sure why you're thinking that I disagree with that...C'est la vie. I can still make similar beers if I want. [/QUOTE]
    I'm not thinking that anymore. My dad is currently trying his hand at brewing beer. Any tips for him? (Or for those of us who server as guenna pigs?)
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast