Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Originally posted by ernieba1
    Not that you're taking sides. .. .

I'm both for and against it. On the one hand, get rid of the PCB's, on the other hand, don't mess up the river. And on the other hand, make the company pay for it, but on the other other hand, it was legal to do it when they did it and they weren't the only company that did it, and on the other other other hand they've been making a cleanup effort ever since it was made illegal (the whole GE site in this town switched away from manufacturing to the cleanup about 18 yrs ago).
    Drat, I ran out of hands.

The name rings a bell, I think I've driven through there, or near there, a few times. Anything there that would remind me (landmark, roads, etc.)?

Hudson Falls was once known as Sandy Hill. Fort Edward is nearby, which was an important location in the French-Indian war.
    It's at a bend in the Hudson River close to Glens Falls, which was designated "Hometown USA" by Life Magazine in the 1950's. Glens Falls is home to a couple paper mills and "Coopers Cave" which is significant in "The Last Of the Mohicans." It hosts a nationally-recognized balloon festival every September.
    Glens Falls is also home to the Great Escape, a theme park presently owned by the same company that operates Six Flags.
    Glens Falls is about half-way between Lake George and Saratoga. Saratoga is about half-way between Albany and Lake George.
    Lake George is a big vacation spot and where I grew up. It hosts Americade, a touring motorcycle convention, every May/June, and a statewide Fireman's convention. (I've often wondered who's back home to fight fires when the convention-goers are here, but anyway)
    Saratoga is home to the National Racing Museum, the National Dance Museum, the Saratoga Race Track (one of those national races originates here), and Skidmore College.
    NY State Route 4 runs thru Hudson Falls before it wanders off to Whitehall NY (birthplace of the US Navy) and later Rutland VT (VT Route 7).
    NYS Route 9 is nearby, but doesn't go thru town (it does go thru Glens Falls). Rt. 9 parallels I-87/The Northway.

Don't confuse Hudson Falls with Hudson, which is a different podunk SOUTH of Albany. (it's a slightly better podunk, but is one just the same. At least it isn't a welfare town.)

Any of that help?

incidentally, I define "podunk" as a smallish town that isn't close-knit and is either dying or dead already.
    The light at the end of your tunnel has been disconnected due to non-payment. Please remit funds immediately for restoration of hope.
    Originally posted by Hoser_back_home
    but when you see milk being sold in 1 Litre bags....
    milk in a BAG!?!
    The light at the end of your tunnel has been disconnected due to non-payment. Please remit funds immediately for restoration of hope.
    Originally posted by Yorick

milk in a BAG!?!
    actually, i prefer it in the plastic bags....less 'taste of plastic' than the jugs and less bulky in the trash than the cartons....

they sell them in 3's or 4's.

you just wait...when you see them down there, enjoy the taste fast because it's our 'signal'.
    wow, it's been awhile.....things have REALLY changed...why is my Visor Edge still in my hand? Will a Treo fit better?
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by yardie
    On a funny note.. a survey was done a few weeks back that show 30% of Americans think Canada is an American State LOL.

Originally posted by NeilMcD

The British did it during the war of 1812 unless you guys consider yourselves 100% subjects of Her Majesty? If so, nuclear reprisals will commence in 5 seconds.

QUOTE]
    It if wasn't for Benedict Arnold being slow. the provinces would be states.

That is okay, we will wait until Quebec breaks off and then pick up the pieces.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Anybody ever read Night Probe by Clive Cussler?
  6.    #26  
    Originally posted by Yorick
    Hudson Falls was once known as Sandy Hill. Fort Edward is nearby, which was an important location in the French-Indian war.
    It's at a bend in the Hudson River close to Glens Falls, which was designated "Hometown USA" by Life Magazine in the 1950's. Glens Falls is home to a couple paper mills and "Coopers Cave" which is significant in "The Last Of the Mohicans." It hosts a nationally-recognized balloon festival every September.
    Glens Falls is also home to the Great Escape, a theme park presently owned by the same company that operates Six Flags.
    Glens Falls is about half-way between Lake George and Saratoga. Saratoga is about half-way between Albany and Lake George.
    Lake George is a big vacation spot and where I grew up. It hosts Americade, a touring motorcycle convention, every May/June, and a statewide Fireman's convention. (I've often wondered who's back home to fight fires when the convention-goers are here, but anyway)
    Saratoga is home to the National Racing Museum, the National Dance Museum, the Saratoga Race Track (one of those national races originates here), and Skidmore College.
    NY State Route 4 runs thru Hudson Falls before it wanders off to Whitehall NY (birthplace of the US Navy) and later Rutland VT (VT Route 7).
    NYS Route 9 is nearby, but doesn't go thru town (it does go thru Glens Falls). Rt. 9 parallels I-87/The Northway.

Don't confuse Hudson Falls with Hudson, which is a different podunk SOUTH of Albany. (it's a slightly better podunk, but is one just the same. At least it isn't a welfare town.)

Any of that help?
    [/size]
    Yeah, I've probably driven through it a few time going from Philly to Killington, VT and other places up there. Are there a lot of outlet stores near there?
    -Bernie

"One word sums up probably the responsibility of any vice president, and that one word is 'to be prepared'.
    -Dan Quayle
    Originally posted by ernieba1
    Yeah, I've probably driven through it a few time going from Philly to Killington, VT and other places up there. Are there a lot of outlet stores near there?
    In Glens Falls/Queensbury, yas. The "Million Dollar Half Mile" it's called. (I forget why.)
    If you come upstate on I-87/Northway, you likely got off at Exit 20, cruised past the outlet malls, and took 149 out to Rt. 4 heading to Killington.
    I think the signage mentions Hudson Falls, but I don't usually need to go over that way.
    My fav'rit radio station is in Killington, BTW - WEBK 105.3. They used to actually be on the mountain but the new owners moved the office down to downtown Rutland someplace.
    As for Mr. Cajun...if your a true Creole (it is that right? not sure) than that means that you are part Canadian...stupid British shoving you down there....

That whole Hudson Falls thing sounds like a less harmful version of Love Canal...don't the Americans just love their environment..
    Alex.
    Originally posted by tantousha
    As for Mr. Cajun...if your a true Creole (it is that right? not sure)
    Well no, it's not right on two fronts. First, it's 'if you're a true Creole'. Second, Creole != Cajun/Acadian. Creole is a more general term borrowed from the Spanish days of Louisiana. It can mean several different things including any Western European born in Spanish America or the West Indies, a person of mixed African and European ancestry, a slave born in the Americas instead of in Africa, etc. They aren't synonymous, though. Cajun is basically a bastardization of 'Acadien'. It refers to a specific ancestry and culture (depsite some people wanting to co-opt the term so they can cash in on being a 'cultural cajun').
    than that means that you are part Canadian...
    If you want to see about getting me back the land that was taken from my ancestors, we'll talk about how Canadian I am.
    stupid British shoving you down there....
    That's odd. You want to take credit for burning the white house down, but not for that?
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Originally posted by Toby
    [B]Well no, it's not right on two fronts. First, it's 'if you're a true Creole'. Second, Creole != Cajun/Acadian. Creole is a more general term borrowed from the Spanish days of Louisiana. It can mean several different things including any Western European born in Spanish America or the West Indies, a person of mixed African and European ancestry, a slave born in the Americas instead of in Africa, etc. They aren't synonymous, though. Cajun is basically a bastardization of 'Acadien'. It refers to a specific ancestry and culture (depsite some people wanting to co-opt the term so they can cash in on being a 'cultural cajun').[B]If you want to see about getting me back the land that was taken from my ancestors, we'll talk about how Canadian I am. That's odd. You want to take credit for burning the white house down, but not for that?
    Darned Texians.
    That whole Hudson Falls thing sounds like a less harmful version of Love Canal...don't the Americans just love their environment..
    Alex.
    It's not too similar, you just really shouldn't eat the fish from the river (though people do, and don't generally suffer because of it). GE was (supposedly) responsible, unlike the co. that buried all that crap in the Love Canal.
    Based on what I know about the science of it, 99.9% of the PCB's in the river are trapped in the riverbottom, and have been buried under sediment. The PCB's are not-motive and won't be seeping back out of the ground; it's that .1% that affects the fish and water. Dredging will stir up the riverbottom and will likely only remove 25% or so of the material, leaving the rest of it back in the river.
    It's not *currently* a major hazard to human wellbeing.
    (The accuracy of the above may have been colored by four years of media coverage and propaganda from both sides of the issue.)
  12.    #32  
    don't the Americans just love their environment..
    Alex.
    It's a love/hate relationship. ..
    -Bernie

"One word sums up probably the responsibility of any vice president, and that one word is 'to be prepared'.
    -Dan Quayle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12