Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6111213141516
  1.    #301  
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle
    Note:
    Thanks to all for keeping this civil. - I'm really impressed.
    This is the second or third religious thread recently that has demonstrated these things can be discussed kindly and respectively.
    Yes, thank you to all for keeping this respectful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Typo Lad View Post
    But it does, though. That's something very much measurable. Especially if you throw some chemistry into the mix.

I'm not dismissing it, I'm just saying I don't know if I agree.
    I'm guessing that you're single... Lol
    My analogy was mostly for laughs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    Not sure why you say "no one still understands". Perhaps I'm misreading your comment, but it seems pretty obvious to me.

Unless you're talking about the understanding of exactly how the process of dying happens? There has been quite a bit of research in that area and we've learned much about the process.
    I've read several statements from doctors in this field that still indicate the unknown factor of WHY it breaks down. I'll try to find later...

Bible shows people up to Flood living 7, 8, 9 hundred years. After that cataclysmic environmental change, recorded lifespans drop abruptly into the 200 or less. By Moses' day, the average lifespan was 70 or 80 (see Psalm 90). I'm just suggesting that the sin- imperfection-flood description of Genesis provides a plausible WHY to all this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesey View Post
    I'm guessing that you're single... Lol
    My analogy was mostly for laughs.
    Married 11 years this August, actually. Hard to gauge humor on the net sometimes.

I've read several statements from doctors in this field that still indicate the unknown factor of WHY it breaks down. I'll try to find later...
    That'd be appreciated.

Bible shows people up to Flood living 7, 8, 9 hundred years. After that cataclysmic environmental change, recorded lifespans drop abruptly into the 200 or less. By Moses' day, the average lifespan was 70 or 80 (see Psalm 90). I'm just suggesting that the sin- imperfection-flood description of Genesis provides a plausible WHY to all this.
    Or - and this is just a wild stab - the recordkeeping is off, and got mistranslated at some stage.
    Married 11 years this August, actually. Hard to gauge humor on the net sometimes.
    Congratulations! 13 myself... to a Latina...maybe different chemicals

That'd be appreciated.
    Ok, here's a link to a great Scientific American dedicated to it:

scientific american_Çà´ºÓÀפ_°Ù¶ÈÎÄ¿â

Look for page 17, Leonard Guarente of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology says: “Right now aging is still very much a black box."

I know it's a few years old, but I doubt most of those views have changed much.

Or - and this is just a wild stab - the recordkeeping is off, and got mistranslated at some stage.
    Of course. My logic path is that I've found that I can trust the Bible more than human "wisdom" in general, and that God inspired his word with the intention of us using it. Hebrew is too efficient and precise for it to be in there for no reason. Those masorites were something else... I've seen Xerox machines with lower tolerances for error
    I know this thread died; but just saw this and wanted to share...

re: possible effects of global flood on topography and sea levels, etc., I commented on similarity of glacial effects. Well, just am reading June 2010 Ntl Geographic, p. 46,47 and it diagrams what has/is/will occur in Greenland, forecasting rebound of landmass as ice melts. Really great articles about climate change, etc...

Thought it was relevant.
  7.    #307  
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    I apologize if I've taken the above out of context...

So your understanding on Adam's sin is what?

What was God's will for Adam?

Was he to live forever? Why did he die?

Believe me, I'm not here to try and drag you into an aggressive debate.
    I would sincerely like to hear your thoughts.

Note:
    Thanks to all for keeping this civil. - I'm really impressed.
    This is the second or third religious thread recently that has demonstrated these things can be discussed kindly and respectively.
    Yes, didn't God (all-powerful, all-knowing) know that Adam would sin and then, in turn, everybody after the man he spared, Noah, too?

How or why are we to believe that the next "cleansing of the Earth" will be anymore effective than the last one was?
    Ressurection!

Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    Yes, didn't God (all-powerful, all-knowing) know that Adam would sin and then, in turn, everybody after the man he spared, Noah too?
    That's why the most common thought is that there's some goal G-d has with all this (which from His perspective, already happened/

How or why are we to believe that the next "cleansing of the Earth" will be anymore effective than the last one was?
    Adam/Chava wasn't a "cleansing".

And that's the catch of free will.
  9.    #309  
    Adam/Chava wasn't a "cleansing".
    I'm talking about what happened in Noah's day as being the original "cleansing".
    Last edited by dbdoinit; 06/02/2010 at 01:31 PM.
    Yes, didn't God (all-powerful, all-knowing) know that Adam would sin and then, in turn, everybody after the man he spared, Noah, too?
    The Bible never says that God is all knowing in this sense. He gave Adam free will, and told him the consequences of the choice he was given. But he did not "know" that Adam would sin. Noah, however, was not like Adam; he was already imperfect and subject to death. God of course knew this and therefore knew that the cleansing of the earth in this case would be temporary. That God did not expect it to be the permanent solution can be seen by comparing his instructions to Adam with those given to Noah after the flood.
    Gen 1:28- Be fruitful and become many and fill the earth and subdue it...
    Gen 9:1- Be fruitful and become many and fill the earth.
    Less was expected of man in the now imperfect state.

The difference is that the future cleansing, which 2 Peter chapter 3 compares to the flood, is done with the added factor of Jesus' ransom. Paul called Jesus the "last Adam"; a propitiatory (covering) or corresponding ransom (1 Ti 2:6, "antilytron"in greek, corresponding price). His sacrifice "pays" Adam's debt, and humankind can be returned to the perfect state. Those living then would be just like Adam, only having used their free will to choose to obey.

Genesis 3:15 provides the rough outline for God´s plan to rectify Adam´s error, and still reach the goal stated at Genesis 1:28. The struggle many have with God´s being all-powerful and wise is that they expect that to mean an arbitrary pawns-on-a-chessboard universe. God´s way of reaching his purpose for the earth is not like a turn-by-turn navigator, fixing each turn and distances between. It´s more like the trip with your dad when he´d say ¨Let´s go on a road trip to California¨and grab an atlas. He knows where you´re going, and he knows how to get there... but he´ll be willing to adjust the route and schedule along the way as needed.

Personally, in my study of religion and the Bible, I find it much better to view God as ¨Dad¨instead of the chess player. Not just for emotional reasons, but because it makes more sense when we read that he made us "in his image".
  11.    #311  
    The Bible never says that God is all knowing in this sense. He gave Adam free will, and told him the consequences of the choice he was given. But he did not "know" that Adam would sin. Noah, however, was not like Adam; he was already imperfect and subject to death. God of course knew this and therefore knew that the cleansing of the earth in this case would be temporary. That God did not expect it to be the permanent solution can be seen by comparing his instructions to Adam with those given to Noah after the flood.
    Gen 1:28- Be fruitful and become many and fill the earth and subdue it...
    Gen 9:1- Be fruitful and become many and fill the earth.
    Less was expected of man in the now imperfect state.

The difference is that the future cleansing, which 2 Peter chapter 3 compares to the flood, is done with the added factor of Jesus' ransom. Paul called Jesus the "last Adam"; a propitiatory (covering) or corresponding ransom (1 Ti 2:6, "antilytron"in greek, corresponding price). His sacrifice "pays" Adam's debt, and humankind can be returned to the perfect state. Those living then would be just like Adam, only having used their free will to choose to obey.

Genesis 3:15 provides the rough outline for God´s plan to rectify Adam´s error, and still reach the goal stated at Genesis 1:28. The struggle many have with God´s being all-powerful and wise is that they expect that to mean an arbitrary pawns-on-a-chessboard universe. God´s way of reaching his purpose for the earth is not like a turn-by-turn navigator, fixing each turn and distances between. It´s more like the trip with your dad when he´d say ¨Let´s go on a road trip to California¨and grab an atlas. He knows where you´re going, and he knows how to get there... but he´ll be willing to adjust the route and schedule along the way as needed.

Personally, in my study of religion and the Bible, I find it much better to view God as ¨Dad¨instead of the chess player. Not just for emotional reasons, but because it makes more sense when we read that he made us "in his image".
    This whole post is exactly the kind of explanation i was looking for.

Thank you, Jonesey.
    This whole post is exactly the kind of explanation i was looking for.

Thank you, Jonesey.
    Did the little red guy smile a teensy bit?

You´re welcome... If I´da known, I´da posted this way back on page one
  13.    #313  
    Did the little red guy smile a teensy bit?
    Lol, yeah!

Quote Originally Posted by Jonesey
    You´re welcome... If I´da known, I´da posted this way back on page one
    Yes, that would've saved a whole lotta time, lol.
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6111213141516