Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    521 Global Posts
    Did the droid really solve the rubiks cube? Is this possible with any phone?

Droid Solves Rubiks Cube
    I don't see how this is impressive. I'm sure any phone with a computer chip can solve a rubiks cube.
    nah! i dont think this is real. i think it's balony (idk if i spelled it right) lol. i think they just had the phone on cam mode & then they preset the lago machine to what moves it'll make. and the guy disorganized the cube in the opposite moves the machine would opperate
    There is a certain sequence of movements that if done over and over will eventually solve the Rubix Cube. My friend can do it in 5-10 minutes...
    Actually, the solution to Rubik's cube is not a "figure it out as you go". There's a very finite set of patterns that you look for to begin (I can't remember the number, but if anyone's interested, I"m sure it's on the net). From these few basic starting patterns, you "solve" it was a series of moves that are the same for that particular pattern. "Back in the day" I could do it in less than a minute, consistently.
    Have it solve "Rubik's Revenge", that would be more impressive...
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    probably like it does this:

Last edited by Cantaffordit; 05/07/2010 at 09:40 AM.
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    im pretty sure this is what's happening:

the droid takes pictures of each side at the start. from here, it can work out the quickest solution to solve the cube. (pretty simple once you know all of the algorithms). then it simply sends commands via bluetooth to the lego nxt, which does the moves in the correct sequence.

here's a video of a nokia n95 solving a 4x4x4 cube, in exactly the same way.

I think the coolest thing about this is the whole lego device used to move the cube! Who cares that it is a droid phone, it could be a Commodore VIC-20.

Has nothing to do with how "great" a droid might be or not be, but it goes to show with legos all things are possible. ;-)
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    ....it could be a Commodore VIC-20.
    Aww man. How cool were those?!

The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Even more amazing droid stuff (LOL)

probably like it does this:

Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    When I was 13 I was able to solve the cube in two and a half minutes. The girl that taught me how to do it could solve in in a minute a 45 seconds. There is a sequence of moves that will solve the cube. All you need is to solve the first side and then it's automatic.
    When I was a kid my best time was 34 seconds. Of course I read one of the many "How to solve rubiks cube" books available at the time. The method employed by that particular book was to show you the series of moves that would let you perform a certain "swap" such as "swap edges x and y" or "swap corners q and r". Once you memorized all of the moves it was just a matter of employing them to the cube you had in front of you. It also helped to have a well worn cube that moved easily.

Sadly, this is one of the (many) skills I have lost through lack of use in the last 30 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikem07 View Post
    nah! i dont think this is real. i think it's balony (idk if i spelled it right) lol. i think they just had the phone on cam mode & then they preset the lago machine to what moves it'll make. and the guy disorganized the cube in the opposite moves the machine would opperate
    My bologna has a first name,
    It's O-S-C-A-R.
    My bologna has a second name,
    It's M-A-Y-E-R.
    Oh I love to eat it everyday,
    And if you ask me why I'll say,
    Cause' Oscar Mayer has a way with B-O-L-O-G-N-A!!!!
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by dandar View Post
    When I was 13 I was able to solve the cube in two and a half minutes. The girl that taught me how to do it could solve in in a minute a 45 seconds. There is a sequence of moves that will solve the cube. All you need is to solve the first side and then it's automatic.
    Yes, but could she change traffic lights?
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    My bologna has a first name,
    It's O-S-C-A-R.
    My bologna has a second name,
    It's M-A-Y-E-R.
    Oh I love to eat it everyday,
    And if you ask me why I'll say,
    Cause' Oscar Mayer has a way with B-O-L-O-G-N-A!!!!
    What does "man of steelerator" under your name mean?
    My record for solving a rubik's cube is 3 minutes and 10 seconds the easy (longer taking) way. Anyone that has solved it knows what I mean by that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    What does "man of steelerator" under your name mean?
    It's my Super Hero name...

Either that or it's another "inator" from Doofenshmirtz Evil Incorporated.

Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    It's my Super Hero name...

Either that or it's another "inator" from Doofenshmirtz Evil Incorporated.
    How did it get there? Did you earn it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    How did it get there? Did you earn it?
    I'm a site Moderator.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast