Page 1 of 18 12345611 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    SPIN METER: There since Day One? Maybe not
    By ERICA WERNER (AP)

WASHINGTON - To hear Obama administration officials tell it, they've been fully engaged on the Gulf Coast oil spill since Day One, bringing every resource to bear and able to ensure without question that taxpayers will be protected.

Not quite.

Take President Barack Obama's repeated claims that BP will be responsible for all the costs associated with the devastating spill that began after an oil rig operated by the company exploded April 20, killing 11 workers and later sinking.

"Let me be clear: BP is responsible for this leak; BP will be paying the bill," Obama said while touring the area Sunday.

While it's true that the federal Oil Pollution Act, enacted in 1990 in response to the Exxon Valdez spill in Alaska, makes BP responsible for cleanup costs, the law caps the company's liability for economic damages such as lost wages, shortened fishing seasons or lagging tourism at $75 million, a pittance compared to potential losses.

Administration officials insist BP will be held responsible anyway, noting that if the company is found negligent or criminally liable, the cap disappears. Claims also can potentially be made under other state or federal laws, officials said.

Yet the liability cap is problematic enough that a trio of Democratic senators introduced legislation Monday raising it to $10 billion, and the administration quickly announced its support. Sens. Robert Menendez and Frank Lautenberg of New Jersey and Bill Nelson of Florida voiced concerns that unless the cap is raised, BP would avoid paying for the mess and leave small businesses, local government and fishermen with the bill.

"They're not going to want to pay any more than what the law says they have to," Nelson said.

That's not quite the seemingly ironclad guarantee heard from the president.

Then there's the administration's rhetoric about anticipating the magnitude of the crisis and bringing all resources to bear on Day One.

"We had (Defense Department) resources there from Day One. This was a situation that was treated as a possible catastrophic failure from, from Day One," Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano said Sunday on NBC's "Meet the Press."

That sense of urgency was not so apparent when White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs was questioned about the incident April 23, three days after it occurred. At the time he seemed to dismiss its severity and indicated it wouldn't affect Obama's plans to open up new areas of the coast to offshore drilling.

"I don't honestly think it opens up a whole new series of questions, because, you know, in all honesty I doubt this is the first accident that has happened and I doubt it will be the last," Gibbs said.

A week later, Obama was announcing plans for Interior Secretary Ken Salazar to review whether new technologies were needed to safeguard against oil spills from deep-water drilling rigs. The president said no new offshore oil drilling leases would be issued without any such safeguards.

And Napolitano's comments over the weekend about the Pentagon's Day One role seemed a change from last Thursday, when she seemed to indicate the Defense Department was not yet involved in responding to the spill: "If and when they have something to add, we'll certainly make that known," she said.

A Homeland Security spokesman, Sean Smith, said Napolitano's more recent comments referred to the Navy's help with the Coast Guard's search and rescue mission early on, and that when she was discussing the Defense Department last Thursday she was alluding to any additional help they could bring to bear.

The administration's evolving rhetoric reflects not only the increasing seriousness of the spill itself, but its determination to be seen as responsive from the get-go and to squelch comparisons to the Bush administration's slow-footed response to Hurricane Katrina.

It's only natural that administration officials would adjust their response as the spill worsened and its seriousness became evident. But they invite judgment when claiming they responded at 100 percent starting Day One to an incident whose magnitude was not yet apparent, or when black-and-white assertions about taxpayer protections turn out to be tinged with gray.

Copyright 2010 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

Obama gets an F for his awareness and caring about the plight of the Gulf region, it's ecology, and the gulf connected economies that could be devastated. Nevermind that it may surpass the damage caused by the Valdez.

As soon as he started getting heat from some corners, he shoves Napolitano out to on the talking heads circuit to lie about the government being 100% "on it" since day one. What a crock. He could care less....
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    I am totally anti-green and anti-recycling and anti-everything, but spilling oil into the ocean is terrible. Obama sucks but I don't think that is the problem. Need tougher safety regs and stiffer penalties for offshore drilling. Makes me want to pour my car oil down my sink. If they can do it why can't I?
    Oh c'mon guys, it's so simple, maybe you need a refresher course. It's all ball bearings these days.---Fletch
    Oh whatever! The same people criticizing and pointing fingers at Obama for he response to this crisis had little or no opinion about George Bush's response or lack of response to Hurricane Katrina.
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post

Obama gets an F for his awareness and caring about the plight of the Gulf region, it's ecology, and the gulf connected economies that could be devastated. Nevermind that it may surpass the damage caused by the Valdez.

As soon as he started getting heat from some corners, he shoves Napolitano out to on the talking heads circuit to lie about the government being 100% "on it" since day one. What a crock. He could care less....
    You're really hilarious. Only you could blame the oil spill on Obama. Why don't you just parrot Rush and that ***** Dana Perino and claim that it was all due to sabotage, a democratic plot to undermine drilling. BP lied to everyone about the severity of the leak. They underestimated it by fivefold. Do you expect Obama himself to be out there taking measurements? His response was totally appropriate and based on the information they were given, which changed with time. There is no "you've done a great job, Brownie" action here. Move along and stop making things up.
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    So is Obama living up to your expectations then, Micael?
    HP Touchpad: I just cant quit you, baby.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maturin View Post
    So is Obama living up to your expectations then, Micael?
    Did George Bush live up to yours? By the way, sorry to **** in...
    I'm not tryin to **** anybody off. I'm just sayin, each item everybody is soooo critical of Obama about, what did the previous president so much better? Remember, you all elected him twice...
    I think it's funny that you criticize Obama, but haven't commented that the Republican entire energy policy can be summed up by "Drill, Baby, Drill".

Of course, if it were up to our old friend Limbaugh, we should just ignore the oil spill and it'll all just go away....it's natural, after all.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Predator-1 View Post
    Now, I know this is pretty much a partisan troll thread to begin with, so I hope you're having fun contributing.
    I honestly didn't have any positive or negative expectations for him. Although I have a pretty unique perspective on things
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Lol... you keep invoking Bush. How much longer does Obama have to measure up to his predecessor?

He's a big boy. Let him take responsibility for his own messes
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Now, I know this is pretty much a partisan troll thread to begin with, so I hope you're having fun contributing.
    I honestly didn't have any positive or negative expectations for him. Although I have a pretty unique perspective on things
    So, any time I call Obama on the carpet for an obvious problem, I'm just a partisan troll?
    Quote Originally Posted by japclev View Post
    I am totally anti-green and anti-recycling and anti-everything, but spilling oil into the ocean is terrible. Obama sucks but I don't think that is the problem. Need tougher safety regs and stiffer penalties for offshore drilling. Makes me want to pour my car oil down my sink. If they can do it why can't I?
    Okay....I understand you being frustrated and irritated at the oil accident (key word, accident, will come back to that word) as it really has made an amazing mess. I hate (yes davidra, I did say hate here) when these accidents (that word again) happen. Your statement was starting to be a reasonable statement and then the 2nd to last sentence started going hay-wire. How could pouring your car oil down your sink help? And then, your last sentence, "If they can do it why can't I?" seems as if you are thinking they did this on purpose. There was a huge explosion and either 11 or 13 men lost their life, are you saying you think this was not an accident? Are you thinking that maybe liberals set this explosion to paint offshore drilling in a bad light? What are you saying here?
    PalmPilot, PalmIIIc, Treo 650, Pre, Pre 3, Nokia 1020, Lumia 950

"It's good to be the King" - Mel Brooks, History of the World, Part 1

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." General George S. Patton
    So, any time I call Obama on the carpet for an obvious problem, I'm just a partisan troll?
    And a racist....don't forget being a racist. You know you only question his actions because he is black. Good grief, do you think we are blind????

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." General George S. Patton
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    [sarcasm]

No, you're a racist partisan troll.

[/sarcasm]

EDIT: Dang, clem beat me to it.
    I usually stay out of political threads because they do more to cause problems then getting anything really resolved but I just can't this time. People make it sound like Obama personally dumped the oil. Gimme a break. The problem lies in the fact that for the first week EVERYONE downplayed the severity. Once the actual numbers started to come in he acted as fast as anyone can reasonably expect. Pro-Obama or anti-Obama this is just partisan nit picking at it's finest. If he's not doing enough then perhaps you should grab a bucket and a boat and head on out, I'm sure they'll appreciate your help.
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    Were you trying to invoke any serious discussion with what you posted? Perhaps so, but you didn't ask any question at all. To me it seems like you had a specific audience in mind, and were expecting a certain type of response from them in order to solidify your preconceived worldview..

On the topic at hand though, thats f-ed up. :\
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clemgrad85 View Post
    And a racist....don't forget being a racist. You know you only question his actions because he is black. Good grief, do you think we are blind????
    Well, it was 12 days before Obama reacted to the Gulf spill. When Bush was slow to respond to Katrina, it was because he was a racist.... doesn't this mean that Obama is a racist too?
    I'm not tryin to **** anybody off. I'm just sayin, each item everybody is soooo critical of Obama about, what did the previous president so much better? Remember, you all elected him twice...
    Yes....the left was so fair to Bush. Why, they were never critical of him and rarely, rarely did they ever question his motives. ROFL Remember, some even think Bush blew up the Twin Towers and Pentagon. Why, if some pesky heroes hadn't tried to take over one plane, Bush (I guess) was even going to have that plan fly into the White House (I guess to throw off the trail back to him? Sneaky). If Bush had been Prez and this explosion on the oil rig occured, I'm sure some left wing liberals would be claiming he did it to get back at the folks in Louisiana since they were critical of him. Good grief....I love how you guys act so shocked that we would be critical of a President. This is really a great example of how Americans seem to have a very, very short memory. ROFL

Its simple, bush was critcized and accepted responsibilties for the feds mishaps during Katrina (although first/second responders are the local/state govt that was horrible along with the folks who didnt leave). Since Brown and others were incompotent on behalf of the feds, then yes, Obama adminsistration is just as much to blame, not for the cause but their lack of response in various areas for days; ie Despite plan, not a single fire boom on hand on Gulf Coast at time of oil spill | al.com.

The fact is folks need to get over everything being dems vs repubs and call a spade a spade on bothsides. Bush spent too much money, and I think was horrible with responding to crictics, but he was tough as nails in defending this nation and our way of life and to add he didnt say one thing only to do another unlike Obama.

Obama talks the talk, but doesnt walk the walk and much of it is him saying one thing publically, then doing the total opposite (which is really what he believes based on his past and record). I like that Obama is out front when he is criticzed about anything (although he isnt always factual) unlike Bush.

The media took Bush behind the woodshed constantly, but refuse to challenge the current adminstration on ANYTHING, which is there job, thats why they enjoy the freedoms the press has. The people expect them to get after all parties, elected officials and candidates for any office with the facts vs all the opinionated crap coming from bothsides thats shielded as facts often.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Were you trying to invoke any serious discussion with what you posted? Perhaps so, but you didn't ask any question at all. To me it seems like you had a specific audience in mind, and were expecting a certain type of response from them in order to solidify your preconceived worldview..

On the topic at hand though, thats f-ed up. :\
    If I'd had a question to ask, I would have asked it.

Yes, I think the Obama showed a lack of caring or concern for the plight of the Gulf (after 12 days?!?), but the real reason for my posting was to point out the LIE that he then puts out there that they've been "on it" 100% since day 1. It was a CYA lie, and pretty pathetic.

I'd expect more class from a president.
Page 1 of 18 12345611 ... LastLast