Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101116 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 345
  1. #101  
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    What exactly have you addressed again? Did you even read the op?
    The topic has since diverged into a host of other topics, and your constant deflection didn't help either. Forum discussions do that sometimes and it's quite acceptable (within reason - which I think applies here)when the content involves politics. If you make a statement that invites debate, don't be surprised it's a debate you get.

    But to address your OP:

    It's only natural that administration officials would adjust their response as the spill worsened and its seriousness became evident. But they invite judgment when claiming they responded at 100 percent starting Day One to an incident whose magnitude was not yet apparent, or when black-and-white assertions about taxpayer protections turn out to be tinged with gray.
    Is there anything more to be said? The scope of the situation was not known, simple, and they did respond appropriately given what was known at th time. I do not expect a government official to come out and say 'we're not giving it our 100% effort', we're waiting for more info. That would not be smart and a bad play in the game of politics.

    As for BP paying, while we have yet to wait for the outcome, they did come out an say they're fully responsible financially for the cleanup.
    Sony Clie --> Tungsten t2 --> iPhone3g --> Palm Pre --> Droid
  2. #102  
    Quote Originally Posted by clemgrad85 View Post
    If the mayor had been more pro-active prior to the storm, it sounded as if things would have been better. But...the mayor is black and you can't really go after him or you get labeled a racist....soooo.....you go after whitie (that would be Bush).
    Your inclinations are showing.
  3. Micael's Avatar
    Posts
    736 Posts
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
       #103  
    Quote Originally Posted by darreno1 View Post
    Is there anything more to be said?
    About this administration lying about what they did and when? And the added point that responsible persons, part of the "100% on it since day 1" decided white water rafting with their wives was far more important?

    On these points, I don't think so. It's all crystal clear. But I reserve the right to point out more failings as they come to light, and based on Obama's performance thus far, I'd say there will be plenty to talk about.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
  4. #104  
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post

    On these points, I don't think so. It's all crystal clear. But I reserve the right to point out more failings as they come to light, and based on Obama's performance thus far, I'd say there will be plenty to talk about.
    You need to get your visual acuity checked. And your response to the chronology posted in print by the White House? Do you think that is lying? If so, do you think they would risk being caught in a lie about what they did?
  5. #105  
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    About this administration lying about what they did and when? And the added point that responsible persons, part of the "100% on it since day 1" decided white water rafting with their wives was far more important?

    On these points, I don't think so. It's all crystal clear. But I reserve the right to point out more failings as they come to light, and based on Obama's performance thus far, I'd say there will be plenty to talk about.
    2 days before any evidence of any oil leak:

    The White House
    Office of the Press Secretary
    For Immediate Release
    April 22, 2010


    Statement by the Press Secretary on the President's Oval Office Meeting to Discuss the Situation in the Gulf of Mexico

    The President and First Lady's thoughts and prayers are with the family members and loved ones facing the tragic situation in the Gulf of Mexico. The President was briefed in the Oval Office this afternoon by a number of senior officials including Department of Homeland Secretary Janet Napolitano, Admiral Thad Allen, United States Coast Guard Commandant, Department of Interior Secretary Ken Salazar, EPA Deputy Administrator Bob Perciasepe, FEMA Administrator Craig Fugate as well as a host of senior white house officials including Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel, Assistant to the President for Energy and Climate Change Carol Browner, Chair of Council on Environmental Quality Nancy Sutley and Director of the National Economic Council Lawrence Summers.
    The United States Coast Guard informed the President that search and rescue efforts are ongoing. The President made sure that the entire federal government was offering all assistance needed in the rescue effort as well as in mitigating and responding to the environmental impact and that this response was being treated as the number one priority. The President asked the responding departments to devote every resource needed to respond to this incident and investigate its cause.
    The National Response Team has been activated and Unified and Area Commands have been established near New Orleans to coordinate search and rescue operations and oil spill response efforts.
    The Department of the Interior and the Minerals Management Service as well as the Coast Guard are also working with responsible parties to support their important efforts to secure the pollution sources. Deputy Secretary of the Interior David Hayes was dispatched to the region yesterday to assist with coordination and response. The President wishes to thank the bravery of the professionals across the government who have worked non-stop over the last two days to save lives and protect the environment.
    Click HERE for a photograph of the briefing.
  6. Micael's Avatar
    Posts
    736 Posts
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
       #106  
    Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    2 days before any evidence of any oil leak:
    You have to admit, if they were half as good at responding to disasters as they are trying to make themselves look good after the fact, the Gulf would be much better off.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
  7. #107  
    Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    Your inclinations are showing.
    Oh oh....get ready.....I'm about to be called a racist. I'm not the one that has a house in what you label a red-nick racist community. Ever thought of moving to an area that isn't quite as divided? I know it isn't your primary home....making money off of unhealthy people has been good to you.
    PalmPilot, PalmIIIc, Treo 650, Pre, Pre 3, Nokia 1020, Lumia 950

    "It's good to be the King" - Mel Brooks, History of the World, Part 1

    "I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." General George S. Patton
  8. #108  
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    About this administration lying about what they did and when? And the added point that responsible persons, part of the "100% on it since day 1" decided white water rafting with their wives was far more important?

    On these points, I don't think so. It's all crystal clear. But I reserve the right to point out more failings as they come to light, and based on Obama's performance thus far, I'd say there will be plenty to talk about.
    You have yet to demonstrate the so called 'lies'.
    Sony Clie --> Tungsten t2 --> iPhone3g --> Palm Pre --> Droid
  9. #109  
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    You have to admit, if they were half as good at responding to disasters as they are trying to make themselves look good after the fact, the Gulf would be much better off.
    Admit what? Didn't you say just a few posts up you didn't have a problem with the strategy?
    Sony Clie --> Tungsten t2 --> iPhone3g --> Palm Pre --> Droid
  10. #110  
    Quote Originally Posted by clemgrad85 View Post
    The only one of those I am willing to say Bush should catch some blame on is the Katrina response time. I don't live down in that area, but did live through the Hugo hit here in Charleston, but based on the little time I spent reading and watching the news regarding Katrina it seems like much of the blame should have been placed on the mayor down there who had a horrible plan in place. If the mayor had been more pro-active prior to the storm, it sounded as if things would have been better. But...the mayor is black and you can't really go after him or you get labeled a racist....soooo.....you go after whitie (that would be Bush). In addition, I don't think you blame Bush for people not leaving when they were encouraged to leave. I left for Hugo....in hindsight it was the smart thing to do (though I must admit, I didn't want to leave) but I know many that stayed and while they have some terrific stories, they swear they won't stay again.

    As for 9/11, I don't blame Bush directly for it. Sorry, just don't....but....since it occured while he was Prez I am willing to say he should shoulder some of the blame if Obama should shoulder some of the blame for the Fort Hood shootings. Because the planning of 9/11 started before Bush was Prez, they certainly didn't do the attack because they hated Bush, but apparently they didn't care for how things were going under Clinton. By the way, I would assume you would place some if not more blame on Clinton for 9/11? And I have no problems with us using 9/11 as a reason to go into Iraq.....nope.....no problem with that. I'd rather fight the idiots on their soil with our military than fight them on our soil with civilians. I know, I know....you will say that Iraq had nothing to do with the attack and while that may be true to a large extent, it was time someone took care of Hussein (not Obama, the dead guy). I realize you disagree with that....and that's fine. And davidra, I don't hate darreno1 because I disagree with him.....I don't know him......if I did know him, maybe I would....but at this point I just disagree with him.
    I'm not sure what to make of your wish-washy response. Seems like you can't make up your own mind on what you truly believe.
    Sony Clie --> Tungsten t2 --> iPhone3g --> Palm Pre --> Droid
  11. #111  
    Quote Originally Posted by darreno1 View Post
    Admit what? Didn't you say just a few posts up you didn't have a problem with the strategy?
    He is struggling in the face of overwhelming disinterest in his "theories". Even when the response is listed in print, he claims it was just a plan to make them look good. Those meetings actually happened, and the steps were actually taken, unlike your fantasy dream that everyone was out drinking beer and shooting hoops. Please. Give it up. They did a perfectly fine job, and likely much better than we could have expected from a bunch of oil men. And you know it.
  12. #112  
    Quote Originally Posted by clemgrad85 View Post
    Oh oh....get ready.....I'm about to be called a racist. I'm not the one that has a house in what you label a red-nick racist community. Ever thought of moving to an area that isn't quite as divided? I know it isn't your primary home....making money off of unhealthy people has been good to you.

    Again, you are making the wrong assumptions, but that's fine. You have a habit of that. I just quoted what you wrote. I'll let others determine what they think about your comments.
  13. Micael's Avatar
    Posts
    736 Posts
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
       #113  
    Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    You need to get your visual acuity checked. And your response to the chronology posted in print by the White House? Do you think that is lying? If so, do you think they would risk being caught in a lie about what they did?
    I think they've spun it just the way they've needed to, to get ahead of the justified criticisms they were sluggish in responding to. It's good to know that they're more concerned with their appearance than what's actually happening in the world.... after the fact.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
  14. #114  
    Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    2 days before any evidence of any oil leak:
    So I guess you had it wrong in the beginning stating that BP lied about the severity of the spill.

    Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    You're really hilarious. Only you could blame the oil spill on Obama. Why don't you just parrot Rush and that ***** Dana Perino and claim that it was all due to sabotage, a democratic plot to undermine drilling. BP lied to everyone about the severity of the leak. They underestimated it by fivefold. Do you expect Obama himself to be out there taking measurements? His response was totally appropriate and based on the information they were given, which changed with time. There is no "you've done a great job, Brownie" action here. Move along and stop making things up.
    But look on the bright side, your not the only one who painted it as the big bad Oil company covering something up.
  15. #115  
    Quote Originally Posted by cjgem View Post
    So I guess you had it wrong in the beginning stating that BP lied about the severity of the spill.



    But look on the bright side, your not the only one who painted it as the big bad Oil company covering something up.
    No, that came later with their dramatic underestimation of the amount of oil that was leaking. If I said lie, I MIGHT have misspoken; they might just have been incompetent at measuring the output of their own well. In any event, what they estimated was leaking was off by a factor of five, apparently.
  16. Micael's Avatar
    Posts
    736 Posts
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
       #116  
    Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    No, that came later with their dramatic underestimation of the amount of oil that was leaking. If I said lie, I MIGHT have misspoken; they might just have been incompetent at measuring the output of their own well. In any event, what they estimated was leaking was off by a factor of five, apparently.
    You're the one supporting this administration's "suggestion" that they were on top of things from day 1. Where's their estimation? What exactly do you thing they mean "on top of things" means? That people all have thier notepads in hand and know their positions, titles, and pecking orders?

    What information, estimates, suggestions, assistance, resources (besides secretaries) have they provided?

    The feds have nothing to offer apparently, other than blustering and time tables.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
  17. #117  
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    You're the one supporting this administration's "suggestion" that they were on top of things from day 1. Where's their estimation? What exactly do you thing they mean "on top of things" means? That people all have thier notepads in hand and know their positions, titles, and pecking orders?

    What information, estimates, suggestions, assistance, resources (besides secretaries) have they provided?

    The feds have nothing to offer apparently, other than blustering and time tables.
    I guess you're right. There was no reason for Obama to listen to the people who own the well and own the submarines that investigated the leak. He should have personally called in a sub, gone down himself and measured the outflow by hand. We're talking Coast Guard here. You know, the ones who did such a good job during Katrina. I suspect they did a good job here too, but believe it or not, the CG doesn't have a lot of underwater oil specialists on hand, Please explain what kind of bureaucracy you would like to support so that there are highly paid underwater oil specialists who follow Obama around so that he doesn't have to rely on any oil company being honest. Please....tell me exactly what you would have done in that circumstance? You are stretching farther and farther.
  18. #118  
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    You're the one supporting this administration's "suggestion" that they were on top of things from day 1. Where's their estimation? What exactly do you thing they mean "on top of things" means? That people all have thier notepads in hand and know their positions, titles, and pecking orders?

    What information, estimates, suggestions, assistance, resources (besides secretaries) have they provided?

    The feds have nothing to offer apparently, other than blustering and time tables.
    hindsight is a wonderful thing, i wish i had hindsight, i would have bought more palm stock when it was totally tanked.. geessh micael, your fishing here, with out a rod reel line or a bloody hook..
    Life is short, Play hard, and enjoy every moment as if it was your last.
  19. #119  
    Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    I guess you're right. There was no reason for Obama to listen to the people who own the well and own the submarines that investigated the leak. He should have personally called in a sub, gone down himself and measured the outflow by hand. We're talking Coast Guard here. You know, the ones who did such a good job during Katrina. I suspect they did a good job here too, but believe it or not, the CG doesn't have a lot of underwater oil specialists on hand, Please explain what kind of bureaucracy you would like to support so that there are highly paid underwater oil specialists who follow Obama around so that he doesn't have to rely on any oil company being honest. Please....tell me exactly what you would have done in that circumstance? You are stretching farther and farther.
    You can't have both way's. were they in on one or not? The WH reports you linked to mentioned NO trickery or slight of hand. After oil was discovered 2 leaks were found with a third 4 days later. Oh and I especially like the part where you said the CG doesn't have underwater oil specialists, come on man, I guess by your logic you'd need a plumber to tell you an over head water pipe was leaking on your head.
  20. #120  
    I don't think Micael would have been happy unless Obama himself was out there, 2 minutes after the fire even started, with a roll of Bounty Paper Towels and a bottle of Dawn...
    "Brace yourself, you beautiful *****. I am about to **** you up with some truth!" - Kenny Powers

    "I don't mind paying taxes. With taxes, I purchase civilization."
    - H.L. Mencken

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions