Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61112131415161718 LastLast
    So a rough estimate is lying? Has an exact figure been quoted yet?

You do realize that if the MMS would have said no to removing the heavy drilling mud before the final cement plug was poured, (regulation) All would have most likely been OK.
    Quote Originally Posted by cjgem View Post
    So a rough estimate is lying? Has an exact figure been quoted yet?

You do realize that if the MMS would have said no to removing the heavy drilling mud before the final cement plug was poured, (regulation) All would have most likely been OK.
    You do realize that they get penalized per barrel spilled, right? Don't you think they might under play that a little to protect themselves? Oh I forgot. Only our government lies. Not companies trying to protect their shareholders profits!

When you get pulled over, and the officer asks you how fast you were going, what do you tell them? The truth? "You got me. I was going 86 in a 65." Or do you try to fudge it a little. "Gee, officer. I was only doing 72!"
    "Brace yourself, you beautiful *****. I am about to **** you up with some truth!" - Kenny Powers

"I don't mind paying taxes. With taxes, I purchase civilization."
    - H.L. Mencken
    explain why did BP fought every which way to prevent a live feed of the leak? Oh I know a small water proof camera was in the way? NO and once the feed came out public opinion turned against them because it was obvious they were not being honest about the size of the leak.
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    "target"? What an apt choice of words. So you give Obama a pass, as usual?
    no, you wont let us lolol
    Life is short, Play hard, and enjoy every moment as if it was your last.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    Now do you remember?
    Kind of like Napolitano lying about the government being government being on it 100% from day 1.... almost a month later. Meanwhile, the guy "in charge" goes off on a river rafting trip with his wife.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenanator View Post
    You do realize that they get penalized per barrel spilled, right? Don't you think they might under play that a little to protect themselves? Oh I forgot. Only our government lies. Not companies trying to protect their shareholders profits!

When you get pulled over, and the officer asks you how fast you were going, what do you tell them? The truth? "You got me. I was going 86 in a 65." Or do you try to fudge it a little. "Gee, officer. I was only doing 72!"
    Funny you should mention speeding, the last ticket I got they tried to tell me I was going 80+ in a 65. This would have been hard since I had the cruise set @ 70 and I told the officer as much. I educated my self on the speed trap they used and fought it in court. Reduced my fine and no points.

Since the MMS approved the decision that caused the blow out, is the Federal Govt. responsible for paying a fine as well? Or should they go halfers?
    Funny you should mention speeding, the last ticket I got they tried to tell me I was going 80+ in a 65. This would have been hard since I had the cruise set @ 70 and I told the officer as much. I educated my self on the speed trap they used and fought it in court. Reduced my fine and no points.

Since the MMS approved the decision that caused the blow out, is the Federal Govt. responsible for paying a fine as well? Or should they go halfers?
    Did BP share the profit they made with the government?

Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    You lost me. Why would they share thier profit? What's that have to do with responsibility?
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    SOOO BP is operating scott free? No taxes, permits, leases? I'm sure the list is long.

Not to mention their political contributions.
    SOOO BP is operating scott free? No taxes, permits, leases? I'm sure the list is long.

Not to mention their political contributions.
    That is not profit. That is the cost to doing business, when you don't own the land/water. It's also the entry fee to engage in commerce in this country. But I guess if the *********s get their way and remove all barriers of government from business, we can expect johnson and johnson to build our roads?

You lost me. Why would they share thier profit? What's that have to do with responsibility?
    so your saying it makes sense for a company to reap the rewards, but not be responsible for the mess created? This kinda thinking is exactly why we have superfund sites and companies that dump chemicals in people's back yards. Only to file bankruptcy and say "our bad".

Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    That is not profit. That is the cost to doing business, when you don't own the land.
    Kind of like the corner vendors paying the mob a "fee" so they can operate a street corner without getting their kneecaps busted?
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    so your saying it makes sense for a company to reap the rewards, but not be responsible for the mess created? This kinda thinking is exactly why we have superfund sites and companies that dump chemicals in people's back yards. Only to file bankruptcy and say "our bad".
    No. I meant I was actually confused on what you were trying to say... I blame the 60s.

I'm all for companies cleaning up their own messes.
    Kind of like the corner vendors paying the mob a "fee" so they can operate a street corner without getting their kneecaps busted?
    yeah kinda, except instead of the "mob" its the government regulators, and instead of kneecaps being broken its so the industry can be safe and neighbors don't have to worry about cancer from the power plant down the block..Do you really think government should let business police their own? I mean honestly, you'd like children in coal mines, asbestos in every ceiling and the life span around 50 yr's?

Kind of like Napolitano lying about the government being government being on it 100% from day 1.... almost a month later. Meanwhile, the guy "in charge" goes off on a river rafting trip with his wife.
    As I once said before, if you keep saying something is true when it isn't, is that a lie? Obama appointed someone to be in charge of this event, and that person was down on the site the day after the explosion. I realize you'd like to be in charge, but you're not. The point is that someone was in charge and was onsite the next day, directly sent there by Obama. Do you deny that that was what occurred? I doubt you will, because you know it's the truth. You don't get to make your own truth, as much as you would like to.
    No. I meant I was actually confused on what you were trying to say... I blame the 60s.

I'm all for companies cleaning up their own messes.
    Great, we agree. So the profiteers should be responsible for the repercussions of their actions, weather intentional or not. So when all is said and done, and the economic damage done from this spill is calculated, it may very well end with BP in bankruptcy. And that is fine with me. You too right?

And since we are talking about responsibility, at what point does it become the governments responsibility to deny future leases to BP because of their past crimes? I mean how many "woops" do they get? So yeah, maybe the accident is not their fault, but they are the billion dollar company... if they were not using acoustic valves, and their hope rested on the blowout valve in case of accident, why wasn't the Bell already manufactured? How many days were lost waiting on that? If BP was telling the government that they had rock solid containment plans, and they obviously did not, shouldn't they be held to pay?

To go back to the hit and run driver, they are going to be charged with a crime yes? even if they didn't mean it.

To hide or otherwise engage in actions that intentionally hid the extent of the leak is the crime. Regardless of why, if all is said and done and evidence is found that BP actively tried to hide or mislead about the leak, this should be the final nail in the coffin of their american oil drilling activities.
    Last edited by mrloserpunk; 05/25/2010 at 12:59 PM.

Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Great, we agree. So the profiteers should be responsible for the repercussions of their actions, weather intentional or not. So when all is said and done, and the economic damage done from this spill is calculated, it may very well end with BP in bankruptcy. And that is fine with me.
    I think the government probably shares in that responsibility. But we may never know.
    I think the government probably shares in that responsibility. But we may never know.
    Maybe, but if anything its because of the contributions big oil gets to throw around our political establishment, And there is always the paying off of the regulators. Why do you think oil companies want to give gifts to the departments that are responsible for regulating them? It's probably because they are so nice?

Let me guess, the crime is not giving the gift, its accepting it?

Just like with financial regulators, we are finding that big business will engage in payoffs (mob anyone?) to get their way, and the tea baggers want to establish some sort of self policing of these industries? What a scary joke that it....
    Last edited by mrloserpunk; 05/25/2010 at 01:21 PM.

Maybe, but if anything its because of the contributions big oil gets to throw around our political establishment, And there is always the paying off of the regulators. Why do you think oil companies want to give gifts to the departments that are responsible for regulating them?

Let me guess, the crime is not giving the gift, its accepting it?

Just like with financial regulators, we are finding that big business will engage in payoffs (mob anyone?) to get their way, and the tea baggers want to establish some sort of self policing of these industries? What a scary joke that it....
    Let's not forget the gift we already gave to BP, 25% of all the oil that comes out of Iraq...
    "Brace yourself, you beautiful *****. I am about to **** you up with some truth!" - Kenny Powers

"I don't mind paying taxes. With taxes, I purchase civilization."
    - H.L. Mencken
    yeah kinda, except instead of the "mob" its the government regulators, and instead of kneecaps being broken its so the industry can be safe and neighbors don't have to worry about cancer from the power plant down the block..Do you really think government should let business police their own? I mean honestly, you'd like children in coal mines, asbestos in every ceiling and the life span around 50 yr's?
    You seem to missing the point that your precious govt. regulators gave them permission to do things in the reverse order, and that caused the blow out in the first place.
    Last edited by cjgem; 05/25/2010 at 01:44 PM.
    Great, we agree. So the profiteers should be responsible for the repercussions of their actions, weather intentional or not. So when all is said and done, and the economic damage done from this spill is calculated, it may very well end with BP in bankruptcy. And that is fine with me. You too right?

And since we are talking about responsibility, at what point does it become the governments responsibility to deny future leases to BP because of their past crimes? I mean how many "woops" do they get? So yeah, maybe the accident is not their fault, but they are the billion dollar company... if they were not using acoustic valves, and their hope rested on the blowout valve in case of accident, why wasn't the Bell already manufactured? How many days were lost waiting on that? If BP was telling the government that they had rock solid containment plans, and they obviously did not, shouldn't they be held to pay?

To go back to the hit and run driver, they are going to be charged with a crime yes? even if they didn't mean it.

To hide or otherwise engage in actions that intentionally hid the extent of the leak is the crime. Regardless of why, if all is said and done and evidence is found that BP actively tried to hide or mislead about the leak, this should be the final nail in the coffin of their american oil drilling activities.
    Looking at BP's past track record, that should have been a looong time ago.