Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast
    Life is short, Play hard, and enjoy every moment as if it was your last.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Excellent. Supports what I've been saying all along. Napolitano and Obama didn't get active on this until a week to a week and a half after the spill started.... On Sunday, May 2nd Napolitano claims the they were on it "100% on day 1". She lied, understandably.... she was doing damage control for Obama's lack of interest or action.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    Excellent. Supports what I've been saying all along. Napolitano and Obama didn't get active on this until a week to a week and a half after the spill started.... On Sunday, May 2nd Napolitano claims the they were on it "100% on day 1". She lied, understandably.... she was doing damage control for Obama's lack of interest or action.
    not what i read by a long shot.. but hey.. lets agree to disagree i think your looking to throw rocks.. nothing is gonna stop that..
    Quote Originally Posted by xForsaken View Post
    not what i read by a long shot.. but hey.. lets agree to disagree i think your looking to throw rocks.. nothing is gonna stop that..
    So what did you read? There is no mention of govt involvement until the " April 27 - U.S. departments of Interior and Homeland Security announce joint investigation." bit.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof View Post
    So what did you read? There is no mention of govt involvement until the " April 27 - U.S. departments of Interior and Homeland Security announce joint investigation." bit.
    Well, well. Still not paying attention? Want to read something? I'll post it again:

The Ongoing Administration-Wide Response to the Deepwater BP Oil Spill | The White House

Deputy Secretary of Interior David Hayes is Deployed to the Gulf Coast
    The morning after the explosion, Secretary of the Interior Ken Salazar deployed Deputy Secretary David J. Hayes to the Gulf Coast to assist with coordination and response to the event, and provide hourly reports to Secretary Salazar and other administration officials.
    Interagency Coordination Begins Across the Government, Federal On-Scene Coordinator is Named and Regional Response Team is Stood Up
    Interagency coordination begins immediately among federal partners—including the Coast Guard; the Departments of Homeland Security (DHS), Commerce (DOC), Interior (DOI); and the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)—providing federal assets and overseeing BP’s response. Pursuant to the National Contingency Plan, Rear Admiral Mary Landry was named the Federal On-Scene Coordinator and a Regional Response Team was stood up that included the U.S. Coast Guard, DHS, DOC/NOAA, DOI and the EPA, as well as state and local representatives. The Regional Response Team immediately began developing plans, providing technical advice and access to resources and equipment from its member agencies, and overseeing BP’s response.
    This was less than 24 hours after the explosion and when the Coast Guard was reporting no evidence of a leak. But don't let the facts interfere with your opinions. Just continue to ignore them, like the OP.
    Nice to see you havent changed. I was reading the linked article x was talking about. You should try reading it. My statement was accurate based on that linked article.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    Nice to see you havent changed. I was reading the linked article x was talking about. You should try reading it. My statement was accurate based on that linked article.
    Nice to see you haven't changed either, basing your opinion on incomplete data. I did read the linked article. I also haven't seen anyone with any sense deny what occurred in the link I posted, which IS complete and was posted and quoted earlier in the thread. So given that the Deputy Secretary of the Interior was sent to the area the day after the initial explosion, before there was any evidence of an oil leak, do you still claim that there was no government involvement until the 27th? In fact, it began on the 21st. Right?
    I didn't state an opinion. Please quote where I did. I commented on what I read in the posted article and asked a question. Nothing more.
    Maybe you should stop inserting things that aren't there. I haven't read your link so I can't comment on it.
    — Ed Howdershelt
    Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    Nice to see you haven't changed either, basing your opinion on incomplete data. I did read the linked article. I also haven't seen anyone with any sense deny what occurred in the link I posted, which IS complete and was posted and quoted earlier in the thread. So given that the Deputy Secretary of the Interior was sent to the area the day after the initial explosion, before there was any evidence of an oil leak, do you still claim that there was no government involvement until the 27th? In fact, it began on the 21st. Right?
    I didn't state an opinion. Please quote where I did. I commented on what I read in the posted article and asked a question. Nothing more.
    Maybe you should stop inserting things that aren't there. I haven't read your link so I can't comment on it.

Please forgive me. I thought you were actually participating in the discussion about whether or not the administration was involved appropriately or not. You know, the reason for the post. Obviously you were just commenting on the incomplete information that was posted in the later link. So given that, maybe now you'd like to actually weigh in on the purpose the thread. Possibly not, however, since the data may conflict with your perspective. Please, by all means, enlighten us. State an opinion. We're waiting breathlessly.
    What he said.

NYT Opinion Piece

“Obama’s Katrina”: that was the line from some pundits and news sources, as they tried to blame the current administration for the gulf oil spill. It was nonsense, of course. An Associated Press review of the Obama administration’s actions and statements as the disaster unfolded found “little resemblance” to the shambolic response to Katrina — and there has been nothing like those awful days when everyone in the world except the Bush inner circle seemed aware of the human catastrophe in New Orleans.

Yet there is a common thread running through Katrina and the gulf spill — namely, the collapse in government competence and effectiveness that took place during the Bush years.

The full story of the Deepwater Horizon blowout is still emerging. But it’s already obvious both that BP failed to take adequate precautions, and that federal regulators made no effort to ensure that such precautions were taken.

For years, the Minerals Management Service, the arm of the Interior Department that oversees drilling in the gulf, minimized the environmental risks of drilling. It failed to require a backup shutdown system that is standard in much of the rest of the world, even though its own staff declared such a system necessary. It exempted many offshore drillers from the requirement that they file plans to deal with major oil spills. And it specifically allowed BP to drill Deepwater Horizon without a detailed environmental analysis.

Surely, however, none of this — except, possibly, that last exemption, granted early in the Obama administration — surprises anyone who followed the history of the Interior Department during the Bush years.

For the Bush administration was, to a large degree, run by and for the extractive industries — and I’m not just talking about **** Cheney’s energy task force. Crucially, management of Interior was turned over to lobbyists, most notably J. Steven Griles, a coal-industry lobbyist who became deputy secretary and effectively ran the department. (In 2007 Mr. Griles pleaded guilty to lying to Congress about his ties to Jack Abramoff.)

Given this history, it’s not surprising that the Minerals Management Service became subservient to the oil industry — although what actually happened is almost too lurid to believe. According to reports by Interior’s inspector general, abuses at the agency went beyond undue influence: there was “a culture of substance abuse and promiscuity” — cocaine, sexual relationships with industry representatives, and more. Protecting the environment was presumably the last thing on these government employees’ minds.

Now, President Obama isn’t completely innocent of blame in the current spill. As I said, BP received an environmental waiver for Deepwater Horizon after Mr. Obama took office. It’s true that he’d only been in the White House for two and half months, and the Senate wouldn’t confirm the new head of the Minerals Management Service until four months later. But the fact that the administration hadn’t yet had time to put its stamp on the agency should have led to extra caution about giving the go-ahead to projects with possible environmental risks.

And it’s worth noting that environmentalists were bitterly disappointed when Mr. Obama chose Ken Salazar as secretary of the interior. They feared that he would be too friendly to mineral and agricultural interests, that his appointment meant that there wouldn’t be a sharp break with Bush-era policies — and in this one instance at least, they seem to have been right.
    Please forgive me. I thought you were actually participating in the discussion about whether or not the administration was involved appropriately or not. You know, the reason for the post. Obviously you were just commenting on the incomplete information that was posted in the later link. So given that, maybe now you'd like to actually weigh in on the purpose the thread. Possibly not, however, since the data may conflict with your perspective. Please, by all means, enlighten us. State an opinion. We're waiting breathlessly.
    Oh I am sorry that my post didn't live up to your standards for participation. I didn't realize that you had set rules.

I dont think it matters when the govt got involved because they havent really done anything anyway. What efforts have the put forth to stop the leak beyond threatening BP and wringing their hands.
    — Ed Howdershelt
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    This was less than 24 hours after the explosion and when the Coast Guard was reporting no evidence of a leak. But don't let the facts interfere with your opinions. Just continue to ignore them, like the OP.
    Well everything is government to you, obviously. But to me, there's a huge difference between the Coast Guard's localized response to an explosion on an oil platform and the fed's response. A different item entirely, with vastly different objectives and goals. That's like saying the government was involved 100% from day 1 of the Katrina disaster because the local police were patrolling for looters.

The Obama Administration sit and wait approach to crisis management lack much to be desired, IMHO.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    day one explosions fire,,, people die
    day 5 oil leak detected
    day 8 scope of oil leak discovered
    day 9 obamas pledge of everything and anything
    day 10 (may 1) announced leak may hit coast..
    sorry, in the intervening days there were announcements made by your president, how can you throw things at unknowns. if they had done that you would have been complaining about the govt over reacting. gesssh
    and yes, the coast guard is govt, plain and simple, its a govt agency of one stripe or another.
    in fact they are by the coast guards on admission, the lead agency in oil spills. soooo i don't know where your going with this micael.
    here i know,,,, YES OBAMA LIED... but not by any one elses standards but your own.
    It's too bad that Billy Mays is dead, otherwise they may have already stopped the leak with Mighty Putty and cleaned up the spill with OxiClean and Orange Glo.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    It's too bad that Billy Mays is dead, otherwise they may have already stopped the leak with Mighty Putty and cleaned up the spill with OxiClean and Orange Glo.
    The ShamWow guy is still alive. If he's not too busy getting beat up by hookers, maybe he could lend a roll or two.
    Quote Originally Posted by groovy View Post
    The ShamWow guy is still alive. If he's not too busy getting beat up by hookers, maybe he could lend a roll or two.
    I hear that people love his nuts.

Personally, I heart Garland.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Me and serpent-head don't agree on everything, but we agree on .
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    Me and serpent-head don't agree on everything, but we agree on .
    Either BP is largely blameless and this is simply an accident (via Rand Paul), or BP is evil and the administration's major problem is that they are naive and believed them when they lied. I'm going with #2. The administration has been too lenient on big business...not too aggressive. Today Salazar finally says he's fed up. He should have been fed up with their lies and incompetence a long time ago.
    Kinda hard to blame BP and not the .gov, They did after all approve the drilling plan.
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast