1.    #1  
    Wondering if anybody has some worthwhile information on eReaders with E-ink screens.

With all the iPad hype, I have really focused on a need, for me, to have a tablet... one with an e-ink screen.

Just wondering if anybody has had the time to research them all? It seems that there might have been some Sonys that are/were pretty decent, but the Kindle is still the best??

I'll more than likely wait for another few months, but I just want to know everything there is to know now! eReaders are the bomb diggity.
    Depends on what you need. Do you have any specific type of eBook file that you need to be reading, do you need built-in 3G, do you need a touchscreen, an active digitizer, do you you want to read PDFs as well, etc.

A great site to research everything is MobileRead Forums.
  3.    #3  
    No specific eBook type. I mean, I always prefer DRM-Free... which doesn't seem to exist. Sony seems to be about the closest there. Sony just seems to have had soooo many eReaders in their lineup, I wouldn't even know what to start with.

I actually have *several* pdfs that I have been meaning to read, and this will probly be the most used format... to start off with, at least.

Definitely don't need 3g.

A touchscreen e-ink would always be nice. What has that??

I'm leaning toward the Kindle 2, especially with the 2.5 update that's supposed to be released very soon (brings better pdf support, zoom, better fonts, etc.). Just wondering with the Kindle 3 will be released. I'm guessing relatively soon...??
    The cheapest by far is the Kobo ereader at $150. I own the Nook and LOVE IT! I got it for various reasons, but number one is it works with my library's ebooks and the Kindle does not.

I believe there is also an Alex eReader, but it's pretty expensive.
    I haven't used them, but I believe that Sony's stuff is said to have the best PDF support. They also have a model with a touchscreen.

The Kindle has VERY limited support for formats, but otherwise is pretty good. I personally find it to be really ugly though, but maybe that doesn't matter to you.

It is rumored that the Kindle 3 might be out soonish, yeah, but nobody knows for sure. At one point, people were saying it might have the new Qualcomm Mirasol screen, but obviously that's not confirmed.
    I'm a huge fan of the kindle, and they support PDF's quite well as well as of course all the books in the amazon book store. The problem is of course, getting other formatted books onto the kindle requires some conversion but it's not that big of a deal.

The Kindle 3 will most likely be released this year with eInk's new color screen.

The nook is nice but really I don't like the experience as well as I like the Kindle experience. The ability to simply grab a new book, newspaper, or do some basic web browsing anywhere anytime is very nice. Sony's readers are great and the most open of them all. Experience wise it's a solid reading experience and they continue to get better.

Then there are the dozens of other's out there that each have their own advantages. For me it comes down to what do I need it for. If I'm simply reading books, papers, pdf's, blogs etc and don't need anything fancy the kindle can't be beat.
    I also have a Nook and I am happy with it. One of the reasons I chose the Nook was its support for the ePub format. I have loaded it up with more than 300 free classic books from Project Gutenberg. Now that I am retired, I am planning on reading some of those books that I always meant to but didn't have the time.

I was a little frustrated by the slow speed of the scroll through the listing of books. And I find myself wanting to touch the main screen to move things along (my Pre has obviously had an influence). There was an OS update a week or so ago and it has improved the speed of the scroll and the page turns quite a bit. The upgrade also brought a beta web browser and some games. It is running on an Android platform, so I expect additional upgrades on these features. I especially would like to see a better file management system so that I can find the books I am looking for more quickly.

I had to take a look at the iPad. I have to admit that it was fast and had a pretty nice interface for reading. But it is quite a bit heavier than the nook. Unless you use a stand for it, I think it would be uncomfortable to use for reading for an extended period of time.

I will be looking to see how the new webOS HP Slate compares.

It will be interesting to monitor the development of eReaders vs tablets in the coming year. I think there is a place for eReaders, but only time will tell.
    Last edited by bevcraw; 05/01/2010 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Add a thought
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by modeerf View Post
    The Kindle 3 will most likely be released this year with eInk's new color screen.
    I think I'm gonna have to wait for that.

The nook is nice but really I don't like the experience as well as I like the Kindle experience. The ability to simply grab a new book, newspaper, or do some basic web browsing anywhere anytime is very nice. Sony's readers are great and the most open of them all. Experience wise it's a solid reading experience and they continue to get better.
    I have not used the Kindle yet, but I would have to agree with you. The Nook really wasn't that bad at all, but I think that new color screen is gonna have a lot faster refresh rate, which will be worth the wait.

I wish that BestBuy would have had Sony's "Daily Reader" functional... it was a dummy unit. I liked the aspect ratio/size. Looked pretty nice, but couldn't test out the screen, UI, etc.

Then there are the dozens of other's out there that each have their own advantages. For me it comes down to what do I need it for. If I'm simply reading books, papers, pdf's, blogs etc and don't need anything fancy the kindle can't be beat.
    It's really quite frustrating how many unique advantages there are among the eReaders. Makes me just wanna wait out a tad bit longer.

Quote Originally Posted by bevcraw View Post
    I also have a Nook and I am happy with it...

I was a little frustrated by the slow speed of the scroll through the listing of books. And I find myself wanting to touch the main screen to move things along (my Pre has obviously had an influence). There was an OS update a week or so ago and it has improved the speed of the scroll and the page turns quite a bit. The upgrade also brought a beta web browser and some games. It is running on an Android platform, so I expect additional upgrades on these features. I especially would like to see a better file management system so that I can find the books I am looking for more quickly.
    I really dislike the touching the main screen bit. Really problematic while trying to play the computer in some chess. Not like I'd ever play chess or use the web browser on the Nook, but it was nice that the features were there.

Basically, the Nook's page turn speed wasn't as bad as I'd thought with the new 1.3 firmware. Faster than the functional Sony they had on Display.

But the Kindle's next firmware that will be released this month adds folders and PDF zoom, which I hear that the Nook doesn't have. Since the Nook is built on Android, tho... they'll probly have quite a few releases that add these features in no time.

I think I'm waiting for the next generation of e-Ink screens and watching the pace of features being released across the board. I'm just not ready yet.

I had to take a look at the iPad. I have to admit that it was fast and had a pretty nice interface for reading. But it is quite a bit heavier than the nook. Unless you use a stand for it, I think it would be uncomfortable to use for reading for an extended period of time.
    I agree. Tested it out for a bit and wasn't really impressed with the ergonomics at all. Just not for me.

I will be looking to see how the new webOS HP Slate compares.

It will be interesting to monitor the development of eReaders vs tablets in the coming year. I think there is a place for eReaders, but only time will tell.
    Will be sweet, I'm sure. I've been dreaming about webOS for my desktop. But I still just don't think that tablets are for me. I need it to be the size, weight of eReaders today with an e-Ink screen. That's all I need.

I don't need a tablet. I need something with an e-Ink screen that I don't have to charge but once every week or two. I have so many PDFs that I could read... but I hate printing the paper.
    Global Posts
    159 Global Posts
    I am thinking the Sony, maybe Kindle.