1.    #1  
    Title is self-explanatory.

Looking for recommendations on a general medical forum that you guys have actually used before, not just found with a quick Google.

I have questions all the time about medical stuff, but I don't know who to ask. Often times, my options are (A) wait it out, or (B) break down and go to an ER.

Say, for example, is it possible to tell if you have actually broken something, to determine if it's just a boxer's fracture, or is my knuckle just swollen. I was just freaking out at the size of my knuckle, and so was the nurse that had seen me... but had that nurse been on an online forum, where she asked me the question that I paid her a few thousand to ask me -- "On a scale from 1 to 10, how bad is the pain?" -- perhaps I could've saved that money.

Now, I've got a couple other medical questions... so what virtual-clinic should I head to for advice??? [and preferably advice that isn't ALWAYS "go see a doctor"... i know of a legal forum, where that is the standard answer more than 9 times outta 10... "talk to a lawyer"]
    Web-MD Exchanges (The WebMD Health Exchange: Get help. Give help.)

or the Mayo Clinic website (Disease and Treatments - Mayo Clinic) are two that are particularly accurate and valuable, IMHO.
  3.    #3  
    Nice... Thanks a lot, davidra!!

I've actually used WebMD before, for the "symptom checker" or whatever it's called, but never realized they had an "exchange".

Not like I'll need 'em, but if anybody else has any suggestions... I'll gladly take them. This is one area where "the more, the merrier" would certainly do a n00b (like me) a lotta good.
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    I think the Mayo Clinic website is good. I personally haven't the best experience with WebMD services. But if I had a swelling joint I'm not sure I'd wait around for a response in an online forum. Though I look forward to hearing what others' experiences have been.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by groovy View Post
    I think the Mayo Clinic website is good. I personally haven't the best experience with WebMD services. But if I had a swelling joint I'm not sure I'd wait around for a response in an online forum. Though I look forward to hearing what others' experiences have been.
    Well... the boxer's fracture deal was more just freaking me out. Everybody who looked at it certainly thought it was broken because of how bad it was... but it didn't really hurt that bad. Prolly just a 6 on a scale from 1 to 10.

But, at that time, I never thought about looking at it on a scale from 1 to 10. I was more thinking along the lines of... "What's the longest you'd wait to see if your knuckle wasn't just sprained before getting it checked out with x-rays?"

Perhaps 48 hours?? Is that too long to set a fracture?

I had no idea on things like these. And, even the pain scale from 1 to 10 isn't fool proof, because I have a high tolerance for pain. I never ever need to take aspirin, tylenol, etc., while I know so many people that are hooked on Lortabs and NEED them for just common, everyday pains. I get wisdom teeth pulled and never once feel the pain. If it weren't for the blood, I wouldn't even know that I was missing a tooth!!!

But yea... health has never been something I cared about until recently.