Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    I don't know if anyone can help, but I have Time Warner Cable, and I'm trying to figure out if I can just buy a box and hook it up to another TV. I know they will make you pay an extra 16 dollars a month if you call them and request another cable box, so I was wondering if I could just buy one off somebody and hook it up and would it work?
    Don't worry 'bout it.
    Just chill, Hill.

Sorry, had to say that.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    lol trust me its not the first time i've gotten that
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    Cable boxes these days are bi-directional, meaning that they talk back to the cable company. Since you probably cannot purchase a cable box that will work unless it is stolen or hacked, the last thing that you want is to have that box turn you in to the cable company!

With that said, Time Warner charges me $1.50/month for the multi-channel CableCard in my TiVo HD, and I can watch everything that I can on my box except pay-per-view and on-demand programming. By the time that you factor in the required TiVo subscription, you are right around the price that Time Warner wants to charge you for the second box. If you have a premium TV with a CableCard slot, you may be able to save some money by going this route without a TiVo and it's monthly subscription.

A friend of mine built a PC-based video distribution system at his house, using Sage TV (I think) and some small PC's or IP converter boxes connected to each TV. His TV/recording server has two cable boxes and a pair of QAM tuners hooked up to it, and the software is apparently smart enough to know whether each channel someone is viewing is encrypted or not and properly selects the QAM or cable box tuner depending on whether it needs to decrypt a particular channel for the remote TV or not. It works great for him, but the hassles of purchasing all of that equipment and constant software updates and patching makes me even happier about writing the $15/month check for my TiVo HD and knowing that it just works.....
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    thank you! that helped alot!
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    a bag of popcorn and a soda at the movie theater costs more than $16
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.