1.    #1  
    Report: Microsoft cancels two-screen tablet - Gizmodo- msnbc.com

It looks like Ballmer has dropped the Courier team off at the corner...

Here's hoping we see a HP/Palm Courier type device.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

The problem is, all the pen features are because of Microsoft.

Onenote, Windows Journal, Inkseine, all MS. Handwriting recognition / tablet input panel, all MS.

Microsoft has a base from which to work with for this sort of thing. Palm / HP do not.... unless you want to go from handwriting recognition that learns the way you write, back to handwriting recognition that you have to learn how to write character by character (graffiti.)
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post

Onenote, Windows Journal, Inkseine, all MS. Handwriting recognition / tablet input panel, all MS.

Microsoft has a base from which to work with for this sort of thing. Palm / HP do not.... unless you want to go from handwriting recognition that learns the way you write, back to handwriting recognition that you have to learn how to write character by character (graffiti.)
    It is possible for aspects of the Courier to be licensed out to other manufacturers.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

Not quite that simple. The pen features are part of Windows 7 in general as well.

I highly doubt Microsoft would be willing to license out underlying parts of their flagship product.
    Global Posts
    260 Global Posts
    Is there a patent digger to check if Palm and HP can come up with a similar implementation?
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post

Please help me to understand where there's this desperate demand amongst anyone (except maybe keyboard phobic roving (hospital) Residents), for handwriting input ??

If nothing else, El Jobso's iHygiene-pad has shown that onscreen virtual keypads are more than viable for brief input.

For better or worse, El Jobso has set the standard against which all other pads are going to be judged -- speed, integration, applications, lightness, battery life, versatility -- if HP/Palm can deliver a superior product -- while not having to pay M$ $50 per machine -- perhaps they will gain traction.

I doubt it -- the market for these gizmos is likely not big enough for too many of them.

I say all this BTW, as someone who wants the current incarnation of the iPad to fail
    Last edited by BARYE; 04/29/2010 at 08:45 PM.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post
    Please help me to understand where there's this desperate demand amongst anyone (except maybe keyboard phobic roving (hospital) Residents), for handwriting input ?
    It's not quite handwriting recognition on it's own that's a key feature, though it is nice to be able to do for short entries. The biggest thing is that it enables, for example, searching handwritten notes. You write out your notes like on a piece of paper, and the recognition engine will then convert it in the background and let you search via any text entry.

As an example, I needed an address that I last wrote down a year ago. I knew the town name, entered that into the search box, and instantly was shown the page in my notes where I wrote it, with the entry highlighted.

As for there not being any market for pen-driven tablets... quite frankly, nobody knows the technology exists. Everyone who has ever seen me using OneNote has asked what it was, and how they could do that.

I mean, there's nothing that Courier could do that I can't do on my current Tablet PC, it was just done in a much more attractive shell, with guaranteed longer battery life (as a consequence of the fact it was rumored to use ARM chips).
    Last edited by jhoff80; 04/29/2010 at 05:20 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SDash View Post
    Is there a patent digger to check if Palm and HP can come up with a similar implementation?
    I'm sure that somebody at Palm has already looked into it by now. Or, I at least hope they're not that dense.

But... I do know from the Open Pandora project, that a basic clamshell w/ hinge design is NOT able to be patented, which is why Open Pandora chose the design.

Now... add in a second screen, and you'll possibly run into issues. But, these are likely issues that an IP-heavy Palm [and, now, financially-backed HP-Palm] would not run into, since the Courier more than likely infringes on a few of Palm's early patents.