Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
  1.    #81  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenanator View Post
    I am sure she buys things as well, so let's not forget that she pays sales tax as well!
    that's so right Kenanator!
    Global Posts
    887 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    My personal opinion on that post was this:

It has nothing to do with race. Hygiene perhaps, but more than likely he's revering to the fact that being an illegal alien is being a criminal. It's against the law. While I personally don't often use the term 'dirt-bag' for a criminal - I might, and I've heard it used often by others.

As for accent, again that's not a race issue, but a language issue. Personally, I'm ok with accents. Especially with someone that's just recently arrived. That comment is a bit closed minded, in my view, but not racist.
    I'd like to comment on this...since I'm the one that posted the "racist" comment quoted in post #17.

For one thing, I think the quote was taken partially out of context. Here's my entire post on this...

Quote Originally Posted by Habious View Post
    2) This one's going to be wildly popular, I know...if you don't want to be treated like a dirt-bag, illegal immigrant, don't act like one. Step one, learn to speak in unaccented (or "American-accented" if you prefer) English.

I have many Asian-American friends...that is, first-generation Americans; born and raised in America, to parents who speak little (in some cases, no) English. Yet, these first-generation American children somehow manage to act and sound like "Americans". They walk and talk just like "Americans"...and are treated that way.

Abdon and Jackie (the husband and wife in the video) talk just like "immigrants from the barrio".

To me, this is no different that the "urban" punks who drive their uber-low cars, with their stereos blasting "Cop Killer", ridin' dirty, acting like they're the king of the street...and get P I S S E D when they're "always getting pulled over by the man". Don't want to be treated like a common street punk?...then don't act like a common street punk!

It's not that complicated.
    So, to be clear...we're not talking about some "recently-arrived legal immigrant".

The person (and his wife) who were detained (illegally) by the police are born-and-raised Americans.

It's called "Assimilation" and, for some reason, some ethnic groups have a problem with it.

If you go to France...and you don't speak a word of French...guess what? That's YOUR problem. And NO ONE will argue that fact. Not anyone in France...and not even anyone here in America.

You go over there and open your mouth...and everyone around will know "You're not from around here, are you?"

But Habious, what could I do to not be constantly treated like an outsider in France?

Gee, I don't know...maybe you could learn to speak French. And, once you learn the basics, you could work on your pronunciation and your accent. If you work hard at it, you'll sound "like a local"...and will be treated as such.

I once saw a television news segment about a woman who was here in the United States legally...granted a temporary Visa due to "political asylum" reasons in her home country (a south/central American country). Well, the segment was about the fact that, after being allowed to stay here 7 years...even having a couple of children (who are US Citizens since they were born here)...the situation that gave her political asylum has now been resolved, and she was being deported. She was extremely tearful, telling the news reporter how she loved this country, she didn't want to leave, and she'd do anything to stay.

Of course, she told us all of this through an interpreter because, in the 7 years she's lived here...she hadn't bothered to learn 10 words of English.

If she'd been on the news, speaking articulate English, telling us how she so-desperately wanted to stay in America...how she'd studied English...American history...and civics...and, given the opportunity, was ready to take her US Citizenship examination right then-and-there...I might have felt differently about her plight.

And before anyone else says it, No...English is not the official National Language...however, it is the de facto national language. Is it fair? just? "right"? Nope...but that's the way it is.

I'm not here saying that "English needs to be the National Language". I'm just saying, if you want to be treated like everyone else...you need to act like everyone else.

I don't see it as a race or ethnicity issue. It's common sense.

I don't see it as any different than the person with 47 tattoos on his face who says "I just want to be treated like everyone else".

SHOULD it matter? No.
    DOES it matter? Yup.

Welcome to life.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenanator View Post
    I am sure she buys things as well, so let's not forget that she pays sales tax as well!
    Well heck! So did the terrorists! They must not be so bad....
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    I'd like to comment on this...since I'm the one that posted the "racist" comment quoted in post #17.

For one thing, I think the quote was taken partially out of context. Here's my entire post on this...
    Why are we talking about "assimilation"? It has nothing to do with illegal immigrants. They can speak perfect english, and still be illegal.

Whole different topic, Habious. Feel free to start a different thread.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.

So, to be clear...we're not talking about some "recently-arrived legal immigrant".

The person (and his wife) who were detained (illegally) by the police are born-and-raised Americans.

It's called "Assimilation" and, for some reason, some ethnic groups have a problem with it.
    Well, if he refused to assimilate to your view of "American", then by all means arrest him.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Micael, I commend you. How you've kept arguing this long is beyond me, and what is further beyond me is how so many people think it's OK for illegal immigrants to take advantage of the system. I have worked with a handful my self who have had false SSN's and were getting financial help, meanwhile being paid cash for their work, resulting in them earning more money for the same job I was performing and then double that after the government sent them a check in the mail for being unable to work. I cannot express how SICK that makes me without greatly offending someone.
    Quote Originally Posted by squeezy View Post
    Micael, I commend you. How you've kept arguing this long is beyond me, and what is further beyond me is how so many people think it's OK for illegal immigrants to take advantage of the system. I have worked with a handful my self who have had false SSN's and were getting financial help, meanwhile being paid cash for their work, resulting in them earning more money for the same job I was performing and then double that after the government sent them a check in the mail for being unable to work. I cannot express how SICK that makes me without greatly offending someone.
    Honestly, I don't think anyone is really arguing strenuously FOR illegal immigration. I think most everyone agrees that:

• Illegal immigration is an issue.
    • Amnesty may not be the solution.
    • Breaking the law is bad.
    • If someone breaks the law, then checking immigration status is not a bad thing to do.

The central issue is that the new law allows people to be confronted by the cops for "looking like an illegal immigrant", absent any crime. That's not "pro-illegal immigrant", it's "anti-racial profiling".

It seems like there are a great deal of muddying of that central issue.

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by squeezy View Post
    When someone wants to screw over the system, it doesn't matter whether they are here legally or illegally.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sracercelica View Post
    When someone wants to screw over the system, it doesn't matter whether they are here legally or illegally.
    +1
    Global Posts
    887 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    Why are we talking about "assimilation"? It has nothing to do with illegal immigrants. They can speak perfect english, and still be illegal.

Whole different topic, Habious. Feel free to start a different thread.
    I think you might have your threads confused. This isn't the thread about the AZ Immigration Law that was recently passed. This thread is titled "I can't believe the racism is everywhere". And, when someone asked for an example of the "rampant racism" the OP referred to, someone quoted me.

I responded to that.

Not sure how that's off-topic or deserving of it's own thread.

As for your comment about illegal immigrants who speak perfect english...please don't tell them that if they spoke perfect, unaccented, idomatic English, they would never again be asked for "proof of citizenship". Once that secret's out, it's over.
    Step one, learn to speak in unaccented (or "American-accented" if you prefer) English.
    There is no such thing as unaccented English, or even a singular definition of 'American-accented' English. How is the bland Midwestern accent any more 'American' than the natural accent of my people? We were here before many of you anyway.
    Yeah, white people seem to be scared shirtless that they're going to be assimilated by the brown people. Resistance is futile.
    But Habious, what could I do to not be constantly treated like an outsider in France?

Gee, I don't know...maybe you could learn to speak French.
    Doesn't matter. The French will still not like you. We were their own people, and they didn't accept us when we were dispersed to the winds.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    Honestly, I don't think anyone is really arguing strenuously FOR illegal immigration. I think most everyone agrees that:

• Illegal immigration is an issue.
    • Amnesty may not be the solution.
    • Breaking the law is bad.
    • If someone breaks the law, then checking immigration status is not a bad thing to do.

The central issue is that the new law allows people to be confronted by the cops for "looking like an illegal immigrant", absent any crime. That's not "pro-illegal immigrant", it's "anti-racial profiling".

It seems like there are a great deal of muddying of that central issue.
    heres a catch 22 for you... if they are in the country illegally, then the cops have a right to stop them... they have broken the law right?? so by that statement, it isnt racial profiling... is it. lol
    Life is short, Play hard, and enjoy every moment as if it was your last.
    Quote Originally Posted by xForsaken View Post
    heres a catch 22 for you... if they are in the country illegally, then the cops have a right to stop them... they have broken the law right?? so by that statement, it isnt racial profiling... is it. lol
    Except if the only evidence that the police use is the fact that the person "looks illegal", then they absolutely don't have the right to stop them.

That's like saying: "If you have drugs in your home, then the cops have the right to search it....you've broken the law, right? so by that statement, it isn't an illegal search to come into your house and look around without evidence, as long as you look like a druggie...is it. lol"

Quote Originally Posted by SISGO View Post
    Well, what i see is the racism is everywhere also in the forums , where you are suppose to talk about technology and stuff .. there is people jumping over the illegals or supporting laws where the racism is inminent.
    Im from Ecuador south America living like for 10 years on this country, paying my taxes, working and taking online classes to be better in this life and i should be called "criminal"?
    you don't sound like a criminal to me. Did you sneak in illegally? Sounds like you did it legally, and that's great!
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    LISTEN, YOU ****ING ***** BAGS, IF A ****ING COP STOPS YOU, aND YOU ARE WHITE, HE WILL NOT ASK YOU FOR YOUR CITIZENSHIP, HE WILL ONLY ASK IF YOUR BROWN OR LOOK SUSPICIOUS, THIS IS ****ING RACISM, **** THE GOVERNMENT, AND **** THE LAWWWWW, EVEN THOugh WE HAVE LAWS, THE COPS DONT FOLLOW THE LAWS THEMSELVES< AND ONLY GIVE A TICKET TO WHO EVER LOOKS DIFFRENT, NO I DO NOT LIVE IN ARIZONA, AND NO I AM NOT MEXICAN OR LATINO, OKI **** OFFF , LAWS ARE WHAT MAKES PEOPLE RACIST, **** YOu NIMER, LET PEOPLE ****ING LIVE, THERE LIFES, IF THEY ARE GOING TO CHECK EVERYONE LIKE THIS< THIS MEANS THEY DO NOT TRUST THERE OWN EMPLOYEES< TO NOT LET PEOPlE IN AMERICA LEGALLY, THIS MEANS CONTRADICTION< SO **** THE GOVERNMENT
    Quote Originally Posted by levitate View Post
    LISTEN, YOU ****ING ***** BAGS, IF A ****ING COP STOPS YOU, aND YOU ARE WHITE, HE WILL NOT ASK YOU FOR YOUR CITIZENSHIP, HE WILL ONLY ASK IF YOUR BROWN OR LOOK SUSPICIOUS, THIS IS ****ING RACISM, **** THE GOVERNMENT, AND **** THE LAWWWWW, EVEN THOugh WE HAVE LAWS, THE COPS DONT FOLLOW THE LAWS THEMSELVES< AND ONLY GIVE A TICKET TO WHO EVER LOOKS DIFFRENT, NO I DO NOT LIVE IN ARIZONA, AND NO I AM NOT MEXICAN OR LATINO, OKI **** OFFF , LAWS ARE WHAT MAKES PEOPLE RACIST, **** YOu NIMER, LET PEOPLE ****ING LIVE, THERE LIFES, IF THEY ARE GOING TO CHECK EVERYONE LIKE THIS< THIS MEANS THEY DO NOT TRUST THERE OWN EMPLOYEES< TO NOT LET PEOPlE IN AMERICA LEGALLY, THIS MEANS CONTRADICTION< SO **** THE GOVERNMENT
    Levitate, you completely destroyed any point you were trying to make by acting like a raving *****. Maybe if you put some effort into wording your post, you might be taken seriously. Way to go
    Long time lurker, but I have to post. Just take a quick look at the immigration laws from Mexico and central America...we should just use their laws and we wouldn't have a problem..not only can they stop you for absolutely no reason they can detain you as long as they like. There is a little piece of home for our illegal friends. If you are caught in mexico illegally you will be arrested immediately no questions asked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattlport View Post
    There are plenty of people in the fourms that paid and funded by the government to cause chaos and provocateuring and false issues. Not only in palm fourms but you see it all over. Proberbly like the person that started this thread. Unfortunately, our prison system is a third populated latino. Is a fact racist?
    that "fact" goes on to show how racist our country is, the prison system is filled disproportionately by latinos and blacks because law enforcement is disproportionately focused in latino and black neighborhoods. Meanwhile, white collar crime, which are disproportionately committed by white males, and are far more detrimental to society (in terms of $ lost) go virtually unpunished. Ironically, it is these unjust business practices that fuel the conditions that fuel crime in minority locations.

as far as drug trafficking and violence goes, which are admittedly focused in minority neighborhoods, racism still plays a part. For example, why is it that 5g of crack cocaine (prevalent in lowerclass minority neighborhood) generally carries the same charge as 5000g of pure cocaine (an amount that generally intended to be distributed as crack or consumed by the wealthy (whites)). This ludicrous fact does two things: 1) it gives police an incentive to only enforce drug laws in minority neighborhoods, effectively making the market more volatile and violent. 2) gives white a free pass to engage in drug activity without fear of punishment.

In conclusion, it isn't wise to use prison demographics to explain why a given law ISN'T racist.
    anyone wanna explain why he said f you nimer?

I'm sure had his reasons, cause i say alot of controversial stuff. Heck, i don't even have to believe it to say it. If it sounds nice, catchy, funny, etc.. i'll say it.

But i would like to know why he said it..
    Sorry guy there is no racism hear. Illegal Immigrants are sucking the blood out of tax payers like me. Look at California..Illegal Immigrants are costing that state 10.5 billion a year. This is why the state that was once beautiful is not worthy to live in. Something must be done about this Crime of settleing on this land and getting healthcare, food, education, housing, energy all for free when normal hard working Americans are having hard times finding for themselves. I am African American and I approve this message.
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast