Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mcmaster48 View Post
    Only I'll have plenty of company.
    That's not the same thing as being correct.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    That's not the same thing as being correct.
    Is that assumption based on your probable cause?
    What added burden? The fact that they have to show they're legal when they've been pulled over for speeding and don't have a drivers license?
    A drivers license is not proof of citizenship..
    "Brace yourself, you beautiful *****. I am about to **** you up with some truth!" - Kenny Powers

"I don't mind paying taxes. With taxes, I purchase civilization."
    - H.L. Mencken
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenanator View Post
    A drivers license is not proof of citizenship..
    Well there you go. According to that specific law, that's all it takes. If the cop is provided a license, he can't then in turn ask them for proof of citizenship. That would be an indication of profiling based on race or color.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Well there you go. According to that specific law, that's all it takes. If the cop is provided a license, he can't then in turn ask them for proof of citizenship. That would be an indication of profiling based on race or color.
    No, they are going to be asked to "PROVE THEIR CITIZENSHIP." That means they will have to show either a green card, visa or birth certificate. You know, their "papers"...
    "Brace yourself, you beautiful *****. I am about to **** you up with some truth!" - Kenny Powers

"I don't mind paying taxes. With taxes, I purchase civilization."
    - H.L. Mencken
    Quote Originally Posted by NathanS View Post
    You use the words "proper channels" like they were passed down from heaven. You were forced the jump through the absurd redundant confiscatory system that is immigration in our country. To call it "proper" is a bit of an overstatement.
    From what I've read, the US' system is pretty lax compared to others. Friends of mine that have immigrated to the US legally are often very angry at the illegal immigration situation this country has. The Feds have been doing a very inadequate job at controlling the border, deporting illegal immigrants, and cracking down on employers that hire them. The states are tired of the inaction and having to pay for the extra burden these individuals cause. I hope all the states join in with AZ.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    No, they are going to be asked to "PROVE THEIR CITIZENSHIP." That means they will have to show either a green card, visa or birth certificate. You know, their "papers"...
    ok, I'm sorry Ken, but this seems to indicate that you haven't read the law.
    Quote Originally Posted by SISGO View Post
    i dont think someone legally in this country could get on the roof of some house with the 3 floors of high to change the roof!
    Why not? Lots of people work in the roofing industry that aren't here illegally. Or used to depending on the location.
    still waiting on a decent response to

http://forums.precentral.net/off-top...ml#post2412537

http://forums.precentral.net/off-top...ml#post2412604

http://forums.precentral.net/off-top...ml#post2412610

is it safe to assume that you cannot beat the argument? Really its a simple question, what are the indicators that someone is likely an illegal alien?
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    still waiting on a decent response to

http://forums.precentral.net/off-top...ml#post2412537

http://forums.precentral.net/off-top...ml#post2412604

http://forums.precentral.net/off-top...ml#post2412610

is it safe to assume that you cannot beat the argument? Really its a simple question, what are the indicators that someone is likely an illegal alien?
    No, but it's safe to assume that I don't respond to people that repeatedly call me ignorant and try to start a fight. Chill out please.
    Well, we are you guys-es "filthy Mexicans"...
    nawwwww... just our poorer 3rd cousins 4 times removed.lolol
    Life is short, Play hard, and enjoy every moment as if it was your last.
    ok, I'm sorry Ken, but this seems to indicate that you haven't read the law.
    thats one of the nice things about laws,,, they come with lawyers, judges, etc etc,, to interpert what is written. Strangely enough, quite often, written intent is not always the end result even in court.
    Life is short, Play hard, and enjoy every moment as if it was your last.
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Well, we are you guys-es "filthy Mexicans"...
    Who are you quoting?
    No, but it's safe to assume that I don't respond to people that repeatedly call me ignorant and try to start a fight. Chill out please.
    i'm not trying to start a fight. I want to know what indicators their are that someone is an illegal immigrant other than seeing them cross the border. And calling someone ignorant to a specific area isn't an insult, its simply pointing out a lack of knowledge within a certain area. My intention wasn't to hurt your feeling or anger you (i apologize if i have), but to encourage you do do some research when it comes to how minorities are treated by police in this country and how stats show this law will make a bad situation worse.

I'm apparently ignorant as to what indicators AZ law enforcement can use as probable cause (other than seeing someone cross the border). I've done some research since joining this discussion, but have found nothing concrete, so i'm simply asking you to be my source.
    Global Posts
    715 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sracercelica View Post
    Not only a catch-22 but also basic economy 101. If business have to pay more they will charge more. That is why so many jobs are also being outsourced, I believe cheap labor is a necessary evil in a capitalistic society.
    This is a huge misconception and a damn lie !!!! It's all about GREED !!!!!!!!! These corporations increase their profits 200% by going overseas and still charge you the same prices here. All these companies should be tariffed for what they're doing.
    Global Posts
    715 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
    From what I've read, the US' system is pretty lax compared to others. Friends of mine that have immigrated to the US legally are often very angry at the illegal immigration situation this country has. The Feds have been doing a very inadequate job at controlling the border, deporting illegal immigrants, and cracking down on employers that hire them. The states are tired of the inaction and having to pay for the extra burden these individuals cause. I hope all the states join in with AZ.
    This is the only country where illegal immigrants can protest and demand things.
    Quote Originally Posted by grappler View Post
    Ignore the haters.
    Hate the ignorers.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    i'm not trying to start a fight. I want to know what indicators their are that someone is an illegal immigrant other than seeing them cross the border. And calling someone ignorant to a specific area isn't an insult, its simply pointing out a lack of knowledge within a certain area. My intention wasn't to hurt your feeling or anger you (i apologize if i have), but to encourage you do do some research when it comes to how minorities are treated by police in this country and how stats show this law will make a bad situation worse.

I'm apparently ignorant as to what indicators AZ law enforcement can use as probable cause (other than seeing someone cross the border). I've done some research since joining this discussion, but have found nothing concrete, so i'm simply asking you to be my source.
    You seem to be focused on probable cause. What's missing from this is that, as I understand it, is that the cop CANNOT just walk up to someone and ask for papers. In fact, it's specifically pointed out within the language that profiling would not be acceptable.

I'm certainly not saying that profiling hasn't happened in the past. I've had it happen to me more than once, and have at least a taste for what it's like.

Here's a scenario. Let's say a cop pulls over a van that runs a stop sign. It's full of people, and the incident occured in an area of town that's a known route for illegals who are heading in to the country. The driver, nor any of the passengers has a valid drivers license. The contents of the van includes sleeping bags, igloos with food, and other personal effects. Most of the van's inhabitants speak little or no english.

What should the cop do?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bigs View Post
    This is a huge misconception and a damn lie !!!! It's all about GREED !!!!!!!!! These corporations increase their profits 200% by going overseas and still charge you the same prices here. All these companies should be tariffed for what they're doing.
    i don't think its a misconception. I think corporate greed and capitalism go hand in hand. Not that i'm anti-capitalism, but its true that the most successful are the ones who cut the most corners...
    You seem to be focused on probable cause. What's missing from this is that, as I understand it, is that the cop CANNOT just walk up to someone and ask for papers. In fact, it's specifically pointed out within the language that profiling would not be acceptable.

I'm certainly not saying that profiling hasn't happened in the past. I've had it happen to me more than once, and have at least a taste for what it's like.

Here's a scenario. Let's say a cop pulls over a van that runs a stop sign. It's full of people, and the incident occured in an area of town that's a known route for illegals who are heading in to the country. The driver, nor any of the passengers has a valid drivers license. The contents of the van includes sleeping bags, igloos with food, and other personal effects. Most of the van's inhabitants speak little or no english.

What should the cop do?
    great example. Honestly, i'd have my suspicions. But I feel like if the same thing was going on in a van in full of white people, cops would see it as a family camping trip. "remember your licence next time sir".

I just don't see AZ law enforcement enforcing this law in a way that treat all people as equal. Their actions historically leave me no reason to believe that this law will improve anything with regards to how Hispanics are racially profiled; in fact i'm sure it'll only make the situation worse.

If having sleeping bag and food in your van is reason to suspect someone is an illegal immigrant, then it needs to be in writing and the everyone, regardless of of their race should be a considered a suspect in that situation. Its safe to say this wouldn't be the case.

Immigration reform should be focused on preventing people from crossing the border and clamping down on businesses who support illegal immigrants. The bill includes sections that will do just that. But its also essentially making it legal to "pat down" everyone who looks like they're hispanic
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast