Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by NathanS View Post

Or make multi-million dollar commercials touting made up accounting tricks. Yea, great job at making cars. I wonder how long the factory had to be shut down to produce this hack job.

You do know that Obama fired the man who started the Volt program?
    Actually GM cut their national advertising budget by 70 percent. Another statistic I forgot to mention in efforts to show good faith on how money (loaned or not) is being used. No factory was shut down in the making of this commercial due to the downsizing of vehicles being produced. No made up accounting tricks, just facts on how money was and is being used to return GM back to profitability.

Look out for the new 2011 Chevrolet Volt coming to a dealer near you.

2011 Volt | Electric Car | Chevrolet.com
    General Motors | GM Reinvention - Join the New GM
  2.    #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    If you're going to argue a point, you should at least try and remember what it was. I stated cars have more technology than a PC. Your response has nothing to do with what I said. And with regard to your last post, does it make a difference when it became cheap? That high technology is in autos right now, and companies that make it need that business....so they can do R&D and develop more inexpensive technology. Really, your arguments are so off-point that it's laughable.
    So what majority of computer parts are made specifically for autos? 1% 2%? Maybe?
    So what majority of computer parts are made specifically for autos? 1% 2%? Maybe?

I have no idea. You could ask the companies that manufacture those components how interested they are in losing all their GM business so that you will feel better about the country. Of course, those jobs are probably beneath you as well, huh? I still want to know where you want all our factory jobs to go, so that your future offspring aren't forced to work in one. What a horrible existence all those autoworkers and Goodyear and PPG workers must lead! They're much better off being unemployed, right?
  4.    #44  
    I have no idea. You could ask the companies that manufacture those components how interested they are in losing all their GM business so that you will feel better about the country. Of course, those jobs are probably beneath you as well, huh? I still want to know where you want all our factory jobs to go, so that your future offspring aren't forced to work in one. What a horrible existence all those autoworkers and Goodyear and PPG workers must lead! They're much better off being unemployed, right?
    And they could care less. They will sell more components to other car manufacturers.

The point of an economy is not to employ people, but to make things. If we can make just as many things with half the population unemployed (or everyone working half as much) that is a good thing. Those people gradually find opportunities, start new companies, and create useful additions to the economy. Having them sit in the equivalent of rubber rooms doing work that can be done more cheaply by machines is a waste of their lives.
    Last edited by NathanS; 04/25/2010 at 01:57 PM.
    And they could care less. They will sell more components to other car manufacturers.

The point of an economy is not to employ people, but to make things. If we can make just as many things with half the population unemployed that is a good thing. Those people gradually find opportunities, start new companies, and create useful additions to the economy. Having them sit in the equivalent of rubber rooms doing work that can be done more cheaply by machines is a waste of their lives.
    Well, apparently you are omniscient, since you're sure those companies would care less. Think that's true of OnStar as well?

I suppose it's really too bad you're not omnipotent as well, because you could save all those American workers from wasting their lives. Amazing. And I get called arrogant. You are doing a great job of making me look very humble.
  6.    #46  
    Well, apparently you are omniscient, since you're sure those companies would care less. Think that's true of OnStar as well?

I suppose it's really too bad you're not omnipotent as well, because you could save all those American workers from wasting their lives. Amazing. And I get called arrogant. You are doing a great job of making me look very humble.
    So given the option of free time and working in a factory you would choose working in the factory. Fascinating.
    So given the option of free time and working in a factory you would choose working in the factory. Fascinating.
    How many people get paid for "free time"? Some people have families to support and yes, would love to have jobs in factories that pay well and provide them security. And yes, some like to work....even in factories. But that's middleclass bluecollar America, which I guess you aren't very familiar with.
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    Do you work in a glass factory? Do you aspire for your kids to work in one? The fact that most Americans don't work in factories is a good thing. Your comment on high technology is completely made up.
    What's wrong with working in factories? For people just entering the job market without an expensive education, a factory job is heaven. For people who don't aspire to be engineers or highly-paid techies or executives, a factory job is fine. Ask any of the Detroit factory workers how they feel about their job (well FELT about their lost jobs). From what I've seen, pride runs/ran high in those jobs. thorne
  9.    #49  
    How many people get paid for "free time"? Some people have families to support and yes, would love to have jobs in factories that pay well and provide them security. And yes, some like to work....even in factories. But that's middleclass bluecollar America, which I guess you aren't very familiar with.
    Meh, I attend school for engineering and work as a delivery driver at night... Hell, I make less than someone getting welfare payments. And no, I don't look forward to working in a factory. If that makes me an elitest I could care less.

How do I warn his post? He's clearly attacking me personally.
    Last edited by NathanS; 04/25/2010 at 02:16 PM.
  10.    #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by thornev View Post
    What's wrong with working in factories? For people just entering the job market without an expensive education, a factory job is heaven. For people who don't aspire to be engineers or highly-paid techies or executives, a factory job is fine. Ask any of the Detroit factory workers how they feel about their job (well FELT about their lost jobs). From what I've seen, pride runs/ran high in those jobs. thorne
    What's wrong? You stand in one place for hours on end doing mindless work. I understand that in reality some people will work these jobs, but we shouldn't kid ourselves about it being some morally righteous experience. Given the opportunity to have machines do these things frees up time for people to use as they please, inventing better stuff, or enjoying life. God, are you really arguing that the advancements of the industrial age were bad for society?
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    What's wrong? You stand in one place for hours on end doing mindless work. I understand that in reality some people will work these jobs, but we shouldn't kid ourselves about it being some morally righteous experience. Given the opportunity to have machines do these things frees up time for people to use as they please, inventing better stuff, or enjoying life. God, are you really arguing that the advancements of the industrial age were bad for society?
    Not at all. I'm arguing that some people are happy doing work that simply gets them a paycheck so they can do what you say - "enjoying life." And the mindless work you cite is not true of all factory jobs. thorne
    It helps if you have a screencap of the original, unedited post.
    Meh, I attend school for engineering and work as a delivery driver at night... Hell, I make less than someone getting welfare payments. And no, I don't look forward to working in a factory. If that makes me an elitest I could care less.

Ahhh. That explains it. You're a student.

Believe me....I haven't attacked you personally. That would be too easy. However, since you're a student, as a learning experience you might look back over your posts and see if you can find any name-calling. Might be a good exercise. You can IM me your answers and I'll grade them.
  14.    #54  
    Ahhh. That explains it. You're a student.

Believe me....I haven't attacked you personally. That would be too easy. However, since you're a student, as a learning experience you might look back over your posts and see if you can find any name-calling. Might be a good exercise. You can IM me your answers and I'll grade them.
    Shouldn't you be seeing patients? People have a right to your services irrespective of how much time it robs you.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123