Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    I think its almost time to say goodbye to windows. It was nice to know you.

Google Chrome OS brings printing to the cloud | News | TechRadar UK
    Quote Originally Posted by double1 View Post
    I think its almost time to say goodbye to windows. It was nice to know you.

Google Chrome OS brings printing to the cloud | News | TechRadar UK
    I'll take that bet.

Besides, what makes you think M$ can't copy and make profitable? It's their forte.
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas View Post
    I'll take that bet.

Besides, what makes you think M$ can't copy and make profitable? It's their forte.
    that's been M$'s MO from their beginnings (literally).

I think Chrome's ability to print w/o drivers is a meaningful step in achieving credibility and acceptance amongst average users.

Getting drivers written for the thousands of printers out in the wild would have been a Sisyphean task -- one almost no printer company would have taken on for their legacy printers. And it would have been years before they would have included Chrome drivers in newly released printers. (how hard was it to get printer drivers for Linux ??)

M$ has no particular need or desire to replicate this feature, though they might.

The ultimate question is whether Chrome will break through to be a viable OS (BTW, am I alone in thinking Windows 7 is a dog ??)
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    I have windows 7 and love it. I feel it's a great/solid OS. Definitely what vista should have been in the first place. Mircosoft is definitely changing their products up all around so I don't think this will do too much to hurt m$. Wait til wm7 comes out and how many people jump to get it with the added bonus of Xbox live and zune included. I like that Chrome brought a different way to look at doing tedious little things. It's good for the industry as a whole to have new competition with innovative concepts.
    And besides, the whole cloud versus stand-alone back and forth has been going on for decades. It swings back and forth.
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    I'm just happy to have all media platforms available. I have had a google os for almost a year on my sd card. loads up in about a minute but hasn't been updated in a while. I know that win7 is a MAJOR improvement over vista and i'm happy but I think google os is more user friendly. Also I'm looking forward to a hybrid laptop tablet with touchscreen.
    It's nice to feel as though i'm in the cloud. If I could just find a way to fit all of my music on my Pre?
    I want drag and drop on my Pre
    Looks like I will have to take a closer look at Google OS.
    Google should stick to what they knew... search. All this other bs (contest for space crap) is just proving that they are maxing out growth in their core business. Not a good sign for them considering they are entering a space that already has some dominant players . I try to avoid "big brother" as much as possible these days as I like my privacy. Eventually there will be more negativity towards them jsut like everyone loved to hate MSFT bc they were "the enemy". Theres a pair of new enemies...apple and google.
    I'll stick to Ubuntu + Firefox, but thanks.

And, actually... I'm highly considering changing to Debian + Firefox, but that depends on the direction that Canonical is taking Ubuntu in over the next release or two.

The next release, Lucid Lynx, is out in 4 days, btw!!
    Google's OS is not designed to compete with Windows' main market share. Google OS is for the lowest-end computers. Netbooks will be the first, possibly followed by slates. It is not designed to meet the needs of a business/play computer.

I really see Chrome OS as a Slate OS competitor, it's for a device really not capable of anything more than accessing the internet, and if you had the hardware capabilities you might as well use Windows 7 or Linux anyway.