Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    It truly should be a no-brainer.
    Why is everybody and anybody allowed to vote for world leaders?
    This is truly a stupid idea. I've known people with very little education with more world wisdom than I could ever have and I've known people with Phd.s who have zero common sense. Education does not equal wisdom or necessarily knowledge.
    "The 2 most powerful things a human can do: vote in an american election and create life -- require fewer qualifications than driving a car."

BARYE
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    "Vote Repuplican, it's easier than THINKING" ~Author unknown.
    I've always felt that you should have to take a standard US citizenship test when you turn 18...and if you pass, you then have earned the right to vote.

I have friends who immigrated here and who have become naturalized citizens. As part of that process, they studied and learned the constitution, the three branches of government, the concept of checks & balances, and US History. I recently quizzed one (using her flash cards) before she went in for the test...and was so impressed. I have the opposite feeling when I speak with an average american about such topics.

Yeah, we all should have the right to vote, but IMO, we should also have the responsibility to demonstrate to the rest of the citizenry that we care enough about that right to have learned what it even means.
    Global Posts
    225 Global Posts
    Did you ever hear of ''taxation without representation''? We fought a war over that a couple of hundred years ago. Everyone deserves a voice in their government; that's the essence of a democracy, even a representative democracy. Suggesting an education test for voting is un-American!
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    It truly should be a no-brainer.
    Why is everybody and anybody allowed to vote for world leaders?
    It is a great idea. Obviously if someone could have an education and no common sense... But getting an education shows a certain level of maturity and responsibility. So, We could weed out those who are to lazy to research before voting.
    Quote Originally Posted by callderek View Post
    "Vote Repuplican, it's easier than THINKING" ~Author unknown.
    LOL... What is a repuplican? Or did your witty retort just lose effectiveness due to a spelling issue?
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    There shouldn't be an education requirement, schools need to be tougher on students and if they get a D or below they have to take the class again, as college is currently set. Schools have gotten so lazy in teaching children and simply passing them or even moving them to special education because of an imaginary disorder.

Don't harm the students who want to vote simply because their school is lazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by jc924 View Post
    Did you ever hear of ''taxation without representation''? We fought a war over that a couple of hundred years ago. Everyone deserves a voice in their government; that's the essence of a democracy, even a representative democracy. Suggesting an education test for voting is un-American!
    Then is it "un-American" to force those who immigrate here to take a citizenship test? If you were born here, you never had to take one.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scuba_steve View Post
    Then is it "un-American" to force those who immigrate here to take a citizenship test? If you were born here, you never had to take one.
    The test is not just for the opportunity to vote, it allows immigrants to live here legally and offers them the many opportunity's this country offers.
    Quote Originally Posted by jc924 View Post
    Do you truly believe that you are represented in Congress? An uneducated population is exactly what they want. Easier to control or bamboozle. Congress represents itself, lobbyist or corporate entities. A more educated citizenry would cause them to loose the precious power they so desire because we would be informed and would vote true representatives into congress.
    Quote Originally Posted by nrguser View Post
    The test is not just for the opportunity to vote, it allows immigrants to live here legally and offers them the many opportunity's this country offers.
    Actually, no. A green card (i.e., Permanent Resident Card) or visa allows a non-citizen to live here legally....and you don't take a citizenship test to get one.

My former father-in-law lived here legally for 40 years on a green card. Had a business, a house, paid taxes...but could not vote...because he chose to never become a naturalized citizen. He otherwise enjoyed "the many opportunity's [sic] this country offers"

Oh well, interesting conversation...but I've got to run. Good debate though.

cheers,
    Steve
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by nrguser View Post
    There shouldn't be an education requirement, schools need to be tougher on students and if they get a D or below they have to take the class again, as college is currently set. Schools have gotten so lazy in teaching children and simply passing them or even moving them to special education because of an imaginary disorder.

Don't harm the students who want to vote simply because their school is lazy.
    I completely agree with everything i highlighted here, but only that.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by scuba_steve View Post
    Oh well, interesting conversation...but I've got to run. Good debate though.

cheers,
    Steve
    Ok.
    Thanks for participating.
    Last edited by dbdoinit; 04/11/2010 at 09:59 AM.
    roll back civil rights and back to jim crow? That's what this would amount to. Reprehensible idea. Last time it was done was for exactly that, to keep blacks from voting in the south. Questions like name all your local judges... Would you be able to answer? It's an unamerican idea.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by mayo1024 View Post
    Do you truly believe that you are represented in Congress? An uneducated population is exactly what they want. Easier to control or bamboozle. Congress represents itself, lobbyist or corporate entities. A more educated citizenry would cause them to loose the precious power they so desire because we would be informed and would vote true representatives into congress.
    THIS is 100% correct. (imho, of course)
    agreed!
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by joedisaster View Post
    roll back civil rights and back to jim crow? That's what this would amount to. Reprehensible idea. Last time it was done was for exactly that, to keep blacks from voting in the south. Questions like name all your local judges... Would you be able to answer? It's an unamerican idea.
    Ok, well then, remember that blacks were not allowed to learn how to read for this reason:
    Quote Originally Posted by mayo1024
  20.    #20  
    The power that a world leader has possession of should not be afforded to him by people that do not understand the power they are granting.
    Last edited by dbdoinit; 04/11/2010 at 10:23 AM.
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast