Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
  1.    #101  
    Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post
    I’ve often thought you shouldn’t be allowed to vote for a particular party or person, but rather fill out a questionnaire with a simple list of issues that the candidates disagree (but no mention of which candidate is on which side). Whichever candidate matches your answers the best is the one that gets your vote. That way all votes would be “educated” to some degree and it wouldn’t be so much of a popularity contest. I can’t stand those people who vote straight ticket and walk away.
    That's an interesting idea and i like it.
    I would just worry that we would never really know if the resulting winner is the true winner, it would be too easy to mask that.... But then again, do we really know if that doesn't happen already..
    Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    I avoided your question because the outcome is what is important to me, not the process. A singular position, I am sure, but that's the way it is. Was slavery a right in the early years of America? How do you think the founding fathers that owned slaves would answer that? Before suffrage or the voting rights bills, was voting a right for every citizen? Wasn't something denied to blacks and women? Is education of every citizen a right? What people are entitled to is determined by the society. The society has determined that people over the age of 65 have a right to health care, that those with incomes under a certain floor have a similar right. Frankly, I don't understand your point at all. Try again.
    Fair enough, I will. The questions I was, admittedly ineffectively, trying to pose, are these:

1. How can something be a right if others have to give up something that is rightfully theirs?

2. Who gets to determine what is a "right"? The Majority? Why do you think the United States has three branches, each with the power to check the others--the veto, the override, and the judicial review? In part to avoid the "unchecked rule by the masses" to avoid the "arbitrary redistribution of property, destroying the very essence of liberty" (Hofstadter). Transitioning here to the OP, this is the original reason for property requirements to vote in early America. This policy, extremely liberal for its time, gave an unheard of proportion of society the franchise, while keeping it away from "men without property and principle" (Dickinson).

(I'm not arguing for this, merely putting it forth. I don't really have much of an opinion on most of this, I'm just curious as to how everyone else views this.)
    Why does this site declare "Pre" not to be a word? Please explain.
    Quote Originally Posted by xForsaken View Post
    hmmm, Canada has no doctors left, we wait years and years for MRIs... hmmm I guess, the person I saw yesterday wasnt my doctor, nor did i get a CAT scan and MRI last month... heck I had to wait a whole, what was it week. Are there issues in our system, yes. Do you subsidize our perscriptions, NO, we dont accept what the drug companies charge just because they say it costs that much. If an American company supplying a certain drug is too damn expensive, then we go to another company, usually one of the European ones. As to much of your great medical inovations, start looking at just who invented or discovered what. You may find many of the great medical discoveries were not made by Americans. gotta love this sort of thing.
    Are you sure you didn't get care at one of the 300 or so illegal clinics?

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/28/in.../28canada.html
    Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    Excuse me for being specific, but "most drug trials and innovations taking place in the US" is not the same thing as "90% of drugs are developed in this country". Roche and Glaxo-Smith-Kline would beg to differ. Additionally spending more for drugs than other countries also doesn't mean that we develop more drugs here. We use a lot of drugs, we spend more than any other single country for drugs, so there is a huge market. Don't confuse getting drugs approved for sale here and developing them here. They are very different.

Improvement in cancer survival rates is not "forgotten by progressives". We get more preventive cancer screening than some other countries, but ONLY because Medicare started paying for screening services, which forced the hand of private insurers. We do get more colonoscopy and mammography than many other countries, but assigning the totality of the improvement to drugs and procedures is incorrect. Europe uses the same chemotherapeutic agents we do, and the most advanced radiation therapy devices are made in Germany.

And lastly, according to many Canadians who have weighed in on their health care system in this forum, they do not "wait years for an MRI". One Canadian is living here while his wife is doing a residency in St. Louis and he feels there is very little difference in the quality of care provided. That is totally anecdotal, but there's much hard data about the satisfaction of Canadians with their health care system that are not congruent with your comments.
    People must enter lotteries to get family doctors. Some have been waiting years. The Canadian government sends more than 1,000 people a year to Detroit (the certifiably worst city in America) to get operations it can not provide.

A few anecdotal cases of those who are politically connected means very little.

No surprise that Canada's politicians get American health care on our Canadian friends dime:

CN Premier Says: ‘My heart, My choice’ | Sweetness & Light
    Quote Originally Posted by NathanS View Post
    A few anecdotal cases of those who are politically connected means very little.

No surprise that Canada's politicians get American health care on our Canadian friends dime:

CN Premier Says: ‘My heart, My choice’ | Sweetness & Light
    Are you even the slightest bit aware of how absurd your post is? You complain about anecdotal first-hand comments by members of this forum, and for your argument you post an anecdotal case. How about some data from Gallup?

Bottom Line
    In all three countries, there is great variation of opinion within the population on both the quality of medical care and the availability of affordable healthcare. It is a testament to national health systems that people in Canada and Great Britain are significantly more satisfied with availability of affordable healthcare than their American counterparts are.
    Healthcare System Ratings: U.S., Great Britain, Canada
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456