Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex View Post
    Maybe, but that is of no consequence to this discussion.

Here, you dig the grave yourself... "unintended consequences" - who decides something is unintended or not? Why is that which is "intended" (by you or one particular demographic) desirable?

As for literacy tests, you agree, that's laughable.
    I do so appreciate you pointing out to me what is consequential and what isn't. Thanks.

And let me try again, so that possibly you will understand: that which is "intended" is not desirable when limiting participation. If Tancredo feels that it's the illiterati that resulted in Obama's election (which is what he essentially said), then suggesting that they not be allowed to vote might just be a good thing for his side of the fence. I'm not so sure. There...does that help? I'm always glad when someone enjoys a laugh or two.
    I wonder who will be in charge of creating the tests? Who will be allowed to add questions later? The fact that everyone can vote in this country, regardless of passing your political IQ test, is the reason why this country is different. In this case, different is good.

Picture yourself as the "uneducated" person in jolly old England in the 1700's. What rights did you have as a citizen? If you didn't like the way things were going, what recourse did you have? That's right, you left and came to America.
    Last edited by pogeypre; 04/12/2010 at 11:09 AM.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    So.... can insane people vote? Wait, sorry.... answered my own question. Of course they can. I almost forgot about Progressives.

j/k!!!
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    A second thought to this as well... why spend so much time contemplating a biased test to give preferred voting rights to those who learn how to bs the professor?

Maybe, if you want a well educated electorate, you might focus on the pathetic education system rather than creating a test to judge said system.

That's like repairing the roof to fix the foundation.

I got a great idea that doesn't require an education and is not some hidden attempt to keep certain races from voting. Here it is, are you ready?

If you do NOT pay taxes, you do NOT vote. If you do pay taxes, you get to vote. Those who do not put any skin in the game, should have no say in how the game is played.

Bottom line, earn your right to vote, don't assume your right to vote.
    Global Posts
    278 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    It truly should be a no-brainer.
    Why is everybody and anybody allowed to vote for world leaders?
    don't be an *****! everyone should have the right to pick a representative they feel best represents them
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thedonk13 View Post
    I got a great idea that doesn't require an education and is not some hidden attempt to keep certain races from voting. Here it is, are you ready?

If you do NOT pay taxes, you do NOT vote. If you do pay taxes, you get to vote. Those who do not put any skin in the game, should have no say in how the game is played.

Nice idea, but my grandmother didn't pay any taxes, and she'd like to see you try and stop her! lol
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.

I would gladly trade my right to vote for my requirement to pay taxes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    So.... can insane people vote? Wait, sorry.... answered my own question. Of course they can. I almost forgot about Progressives.

j/k!!!
    Well, seeing as how the T-Baggers have displayed a cavalcade of illiteracy with their signs and that higher education is supposedly "indoctrination of liberalism", maybe literacy tests are not such a bad idea...
    "Brace yourself, you beautiful *****. I am about to **** you up with some truth!" - Kenny Powers

"I don't mind paying taxes. With taxes, I purchase civilization."
    - H.L. Mencken
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post

j/k!!!
    Its a valid point. We don't let children vote for a reason, right? Why is that? And does that same logic apply to other segments of the population?
    Quote Originally Posted by groovy View Post
    Its a valid point. We don't let children vote for a reason, right? Why is that? And does that same logic apply to other segments of the population?
    We don't allow children to vote because there are too many of them. I can imagine the pandering to the 10 and under crowd.

As your representative, I vow to take your demands to Washington.

* Nap time will be replaced with candy time.

* Parents will no longer have the ability to ground without due process and a trial by jury of the childs peers.

Etc.

12.    #52  

Why does it have to be about race?
    There a plenty of idiots in every race and skin color, so no, this is not a hidden attempt.
    Don't play that card, it's too easy.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    We don't allow children to vote because there are too many of them. I can imagine the pandering to the 10 and under crowd.

* Parents will no longer have the ability to ground without due process and a trial by jury of the childs peers.

Etc.
    You don't think the union's have missed catering to the children, do you?
  14.    #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by blu8503 View Post
    don't be an *****! everyone should have the right to pick a representative they feel best represents them
    Take a few minutes and read the whole thread before opening the door and yelling in.
    You could start with this:
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd
    A voter with the power to change everything that this world means should at least have knowledge of how the government operates.
    Not wild misconceptions, but real knowledge.
    There is way too much at stake for just anybody with half-a-brain to have the power to control (with a vote) the outcome of your personal life.
    It seriously is a huge responsibility, and that is never really acknowledged.
    @davidra

I was trying to point out that elections are a way for all to decide their future. Not everybody will be happy with the outcome, but everybody will have made their choice (and will have to live with the consequences). The reason this is important: everybody would have exercised their own personal judgement and freewill irrespective of if they were the majority of minority. That is their contribution to their own future.

The second thing I was saying in the previous post, selection of the electorate based on education is quiet arbitrary. Assuming that the educated somehow "know" better and have better judgement in these things, and enforcing such "standards" is saying that one (sub)set of people should have the full right to determine the future course of all. That's why excluding women from elections is considered a bad thing. It was thought that women did not have the mental capacity to make a voting decision. In my country, every person who is a citizen is allowed (and expected) to vote (same as the US, I guess). In many countries, minorities are not allowed to vote, giving rise to skewed priorities and resentment and helplessness among those who can't vote.

And thirdly, democracies cannot afford to exclude even a single person from the electoral process, even if that person chooses not to vote. Why is this important? That's what equality is about. Each and every person has the right to aspire to be what they want. And elections ensure that they can participate in the larger political discourse as an equal to all his fellow citizens. This is the very definition of a "free" society. The voice of each and every person will be heard and make a difference.

What we think we want of the future may well be wrong. In the end, whatever the outcome, things will even out.
    Game over!
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post

Etc.
    That's not entirely different than what many adults would vote for.
    Can I ask, What percentage of the American voters actually voted in the last election, president etc etc.. just wondering.
    Quote Originally Posted by notaphonegeek View Post
    But seriously, in all honesty... to answer your question. Yes, in my personal opinion you should know how to read and write to vote, but that's not what the founders of this republic believed in.
    IIRC, one of the original requirements to vote was that one had to be a land owner. Poll taxes also weren't uncommon at that time.
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    Why does it have to be about race?
    There a plenty of idiots in every race and skin color, so no, this is not a hidden attempt.
    Don't play that card, it's too easy.
    thedonk isn't the first to bring up race. In fact, I'm somewhat surprised race hasn't been mentioned before now. Quite possibly, you aren't conservative enough for someone to suspect your real motivation of veiled racism.
    This goes completely against everything our country was founded on. George Washington is turning in his grave.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast