Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mom2Ninjas View Post
    LOL... What is a repuplican? Or did your witty retort just lose effectiveness due to a spelling issue?
    Spelling issue...maybe I shouldn't be able to vote =(
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by callderek View Post
    Spelling issue...maybe I shouldn't be able to vote =(
    lol

nuff said
    If you are a citizen of the United States, you should be allowed to vote...period. At the same time, you should be required to produce identification upon voting. Because its illegal, the names have been omitted... But during the last election two individuals that I know voted under the other persons name as a test (one was a dem and the other an ind).

While standing in line for the 2004 election, I noticed two women talking about "getting Bush out of office" and I overheard her say that she was coming back later to vote for her mother. At the time, I did what I thought was my civic duty and called the DC board of elections and reported it as well as the location. Later on that night, I came back and noticed that they still weren't checking voters ID's.

It was during that election that I realized that something was amiss in our elections process. I could go on further, but it would be off topic (in the off topic section).

Needless to say, you really should be smart enough to vote, but it is an undeniable right, if you are a citizen. Coming from the land of DC, I was amazed at how Marion Barry was constantly re-elected.
    Phones in Family pre> pre> pre> Centro> Rant
    Quote Originally Posted by xForsaken View Post

nuff said
    She's too hot to need to be smart
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by notaphonegeek View Post
    If you are a citizen of the United States, you should be allowed to vote...period. At the same time, you should be required to produce identification upon voting. Because its illegal, the names have been omitted... But during the last election two individuals that I know voted under the other persons name as a test (one was a dem and the other an ind).

While standing in line for the 2004 election, I noticed two women talking about "getting Bush out of office" and I overheard her say that she was coming back later to vote for her mother. At the time, I did what I thought was my civic duty and called the DC board of elections and reported it as well as the location. Later on that night, I came back and noticed that they still weren't checking voters ID's.

It was during that election that I realized that something was amiss in our elections process. I could go on further, but it would be off topic (in the off topic section).

Needless to say, you really should be smart enough to vote, but it is an undeniable right, if you are a citizen. Coming from the land of DC, I was amazed at how Marion Barry was constantly re-elected.
    Do you seriously think that somebody who doesn't even know how many states there are in the country he/she lives in, should have the power to decide who becomes a world leader?

Do you also believe that somebody who doesn't even know how many states there are in his own country should be allowed to be our leader?
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    Do you seriously think that somebody who doesn't even know how many states there are in the country he/she lives in, should have the power to decide who becomes a world leader?

Do you also believe that somebody who doesn't even know how many states there are in his own country should be allowed to be our leader?
    LOL DBD, you said "World Leader". I thought that the president was the US leader? I didn't know that the presidents job was to be the commander in chief of the world?

But seriously, in all honesty... to answer your question. Yes, in my personal opinion you should know how to read and write to vote, but that's not what the founders of this republic believed in. In fact, many voters could not read or write throughout the years. When some people voted or signed deeds etc., they would just need to place an x to mark their signature. Some of these same ignorant people are some of the same ones that put Marion Barry in office all these years. Unfortunately, the people are blinded by the corporate media and are told who to vote for. Anyone who is a threat are given the moniker "unelectable", and the sheeple believe it.

To your point, it is funny that Obama has visited 57 states.
  8.    #28  
    LOL DBD, you said "World Leader". I thought that the president was the US leader? I didn't know that the presidents job was to be the commander in chief of the world?

But seriously, in all honesty... to answer your question. Yes, in my personal opinion you should know how to read and write to vote, but that's not what the founders of this republic believed in. In fact, many voters could not read or write throughout the years. When some people voted or signed deeds etc., they would just need to place an x to mark their signature. Some of these same ignorant people are some of the same ones that put Marion Barry in office all these years. Unfortunately, the people are blinded by the corporate media and are told who to vote for. Anyone who is a threat are given the moniker "unelectable", and the sheeple believe it.

To your point, it is funny that Obama has visited 57 states.
    [url= - Obama Claims He's Visited 57 States[/url]
    Lol, yep.
    But i'm not saying that just knowing how to read and write is enough, as you alluded to.
    A voter with the power to change everything that this world means should at least have knowledge of how the government operates.
    Not wild misconceptions, but real knowledge.
    There is way too much at stake for just anybody with half-a-brain to have the power to control (with a vote) the outcome of your personal life.
    It seriously is a huge responsibility, and that is never really acknowledged.

Btw, are you saying that the Pres. of the U.S. is not a world leader?
    Quote Originally Posted by notaphonegeek
    Last edited by dbdoinit; 04/12/2010 at 02:55 AM.

It was during that election that I realized that something was amiss in our elections process. I could go on further, but it would be off topic (in the off topic section)...
    No doubt turning in that rascal for wanting to vote for their mommy made a difference.

Heroic move maestro.

What were 2004 Kerry/junior results for DC ??

Kerry won more than 90% of votes cast, junior less than 10%.

(You might not have noticed, but DC has a rather high proportion of Democrats.)
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post
    No doubt turning in that rascal for wanting to vote for their mommy made a difference.

Heroic move maestro.

What were 2004 Kerry/junior results for DC ??

Kerry won more than 90% of votes cast, junior less than 10%.

(You might not have noticed, but DC has a rather high proportion of Democrats.)
    Heroic move???

I do believe that you missed the entire point. I see that you are from DC, correct? Well, that's my hometown. I was born and raised there, and I know that the city has a huge democratic voter population as you have stated. It's people like you who condone the corrupt voting process that turns people away from the polls. You think that it's right to have someone go in and vote for their mother? What about a dead person? What about malfunctioning voting machines? Your sarcasm amazes me! Heroic??

BTW, I didn't "Turn anybody in". I simply reported that someone in line had stated that she was coming back to vote for her mother. Perhaps you would have felt differently if it was in Florida, say... 2001?

An individuals right to vote is just that. A RIGHT. Not a right to vote for a friend, a brother, a sister, parent etc.. It's this type of voter fraud that upsets people and causes them to lose faith in our electoral process. That's why we need to show identification at the polls.

Amazing!!
    Btw, are you saying that the Pres. of the U.S. is not a world leader?
    Let me just say this.... He shouldn't be. Our founding fathers are rolling over in their graves. An American Empire is not what they wanted or envisioned.
  12.    #32  
    Let me just say this.... He shouldn't be. Our founding fathers are rolling over in their graves. An American Empire is not what they wanted or envisioned.
    This is a bit "off" from my "off", but i'm wondering if anybody else agrees with you that that's what they envisioned and/or if we shoudn't be one now.

Hmm...
    Last edited by dbdoinit; 04/12/2010 at 06:51 AM.
    It truly should be a no-brainer.
    Why is everybody and anybody allowed to vote for world leaders?
    This is not as simple as it is made out to be. Elections in democracies are meant to capture the aspirations of the majority however inconvenient it may be to the rest. If the majority want a certain type of leader... they will get him/ her.

There are other problems too. Who decides what is the level of education required before a person can vote? Such exclusion of certain segments of people based on arbitrary criteria ("education" is just one such) can be carried to the extreme too.
    Game over!
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex View Post
    This is not as simple as it is made out to be. Elections in democracies are meant to capture the aspirations of the majority however inconvenient it may be to the rest. If the majority want a certain type of leader... they will get him/ her.

There are other problems too. Who decides what is the level of education required before a person can vote? Such exclusion of certain segments of people based on arbitrary criteria ("education" is just one such) can be carried to the extreme too.
    I think if you're going to go against the constitution you might as well go all the way. Let's use college education or how well the school systems are supported, why don't we?

Out of curiosity, I compared numbers from the census.gov site about the percentage who graduated college to which states when Gore or bush in 2000. This is what I found. Out of the top 14, 11 went Democrat. The bottom 12 all went republican. The average of the blue states was 26.9. The red, 22.1 This does of course not PROVE anything, just some an indication which suggests those with higher education levels. Make of it what you wish.
    blue states and red states, education levels - Democratic Underground

Source: Red Blue States Comparison Map - election, education, divorce, racism, money, sports, obesity and more

Not surprisingly, these are from biased sources, but using census and other available data.

So what do I think? Every citizen should be allowed to vote, even those from Texas. Level of literacy or education is a true slippery slope.
    Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    I think if you're going to go against the constitution you might as well go all the way. Let's use college education or how well the school systems are supported, why don't we?

blue states and red states, education levels - Democratic Underground

Source: Red Blue States Comparison Map - election, education, divorce, racism, money, sports, obesity and more

Not surprisingly, these are from biased sources, but using census and other available data.

So what do I think? Every citizen should be allowed to vote, even those from Texas. Level of literacy or education is a true slippery slope.
    It should be noted that many of these "smart" states practically give away degrees. I'm sure if you did the same regression on math, science, engineering, and business degrees it would be more telling.
    Elections are the consequence of a constitution. As already pointed out here, one may not be educated in the conventional sense, but be wise and aware of the issues of living in a society in all its ramifications.

The graphs you posted show correlation between education and some political alignment. Even if that indicated something significant, it may merely be a confirmation of your own particular beliefs. That may not actually represent the aspirations of the others who form part of your society.

We may (also arbitrarily) exclude certain religious groups. What will that result in?

Then there the whole issue of the concept of democratic republics. Excluding groups will violate that concept.
    Game over!
    Why is ... anybody allowed to vote for world leaders?
    My thoughts exactly.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex View Post

The graphs you posted show correlation between education and some political alignment. Even if that indicated something significant, it may merely be a confirmation of your own particular beliefs. That may not actually represent the aspirations of the others who form part of your society.

We may (also arbitrarily) exclude certain religious groups. What will that result in?

Then there the whole issue of the concept of democratic republics. Excluding groups will violate that concept.
    I'm reasonably sure you missed the point of the post. When you start putting explicit criteria up, beyond being a citizen and having to register, you may end up with significant unintended consequences. I do find it interesting that most of the people who favor literacy testing are conservatives...you can make whatever you want out of that statement. As I stated, I am opposed to any and all literacy tests.
    Define a World Leader. Is it someone who's nation is economically powerful? Is it a nation that is militarly powerful? Is it both? Is it something else?
    I'm reasonably sure you missed the point of the post.
    Maybe, but that is of no consequence to this discussion.

When you start putting explicit criteria up, beyond being a citizen and having to register, you may end up with significant unintended consequences.
    Here, you dig the grave yourself... "unintended consequences" - who decides something is unintended or not? Why is that which is "intended" (by you or one particular demographic) desirable?

As for literacy tests, you agree, that's laughable.
    Game over!
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast