Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    People get too fed up with taxes.

Just pay them and get on with your lives.
    Jeez.
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedar View Post
    People get too fed up with taxes.

Just pay them and get on with your lives.
    Jeez.
    So, what's your effective tax rate? Do you know what your taxes pay for?
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas View Post
    Sorry no. It sounds fair but there's a point where having a low income family pay taxes is not very bright at all.
    Then you end up where people only vote for those who will allow them to not pay taxes and require only the "wealthy" to pay taxes. In a sense, you "buy" their vote. My guess would be that of the 47% (those that paid no Fed Income tax) who actually voted, a huge majority voted for Obama as his clear goal is to spread the wealth. The democrats love to paint those who work hard and make money as evil and uncaring....and at some point...that has to stop.

The FAIR TAX is the way to go when it comes to taxes. My parents are off to DC for the 4/15 Fair Tax rally. Go Mom & Dad! If people ever take the time to read up on the Fair Tax, they will find that many receive a credit that covers their taxes up to a certain level (therefore, yes, some will still escape income tax). The second big thing is those who make money "under the table" (often this is illegal money anyway) will pay taxes when they buy. Why should people who don't report their income get a free ride? Why would people think it is fair for some people to make very good income (often one of those evil individuals making over $200k) and not pay any taxes? I guarantee you they are spending that money....and under the fair tax....they would not contribute to the government income. FAIR TAX! Yes...this is a consuption tax....but....it replaces the current income tax system. You take home 100% (unless you have state income taxes) of your paycheck.
    PalmPilot, PalmIIIc, Treo 650, Pre, Pre 3, Nokia 1020, Lumia 950

"It's good to be the King" - Mel Brooks, History of the World, Part 1

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." General George S. Patton
    Global Posts
    252 Global Posts
    What we need is the Fair Tax. Much better then our broken system.

The FairTax plan is a comprehensive proposal that replaces all federal income and payroll based taxes with an integrated approach including a progressive national retail sales tax, a prebate to ensure no American pays federal taxes on spending up to the poverty level, dollar-for-dollar federal revenue neutrality, and, through companion legislation, the repeal of the 16th Amendment.

The FairTax Act (HR 25, S 296) is nonpartisan legislation. It abolishes all federal personal and corporate income taxes, gift, estate, capital gains, alternative minimum, Social Security, Medicare, and self-employment taxes and replaces them with one simple, visible, federal retail sales tax administered primarily by existing state sales tax authorities.

The FairTax taxes us only on what we choose to spend on new goods or services, not on what we earn. The FairTax is a fair, efficient, transparent, and intelligent solution to the frustration and inequity of our current tax system.

The FairTax:

* Enables workers to keep their entire paychecks
    * Enables retirees to keep their entire pensions
    * Refunds in advance the tax on purchases of basic necessities
    * Allows American products to compete fairly
    * Brings transparency and accountability to tax policy
    * Ensures Social Security and Medicare funding
    * Closes all loopholes and brings fairness to taxation
    * Abolishes the IRS
    Marty
    Handspring Visor -> Handspring Treo 180 That stated it would have Wi-Fi -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650->Treo 700P ->Centro->Pre
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    I don't see a problem with 47% of households not owing FIT. I got a refund and I deserve it. I pay more than my share of FIT during the year through salary deductions (i.e. federal & state income taxes, SS and medicare taxes) and I deserve the mortgage and property tax credits I get. That Yahoo web site story doesn't say that 47% did something illegally.

And I don't see that it's a problem for the government either. Apparently our tax dollars can fund wars we shouldn't be in and pay government agencies/projects that don't do much for the people (e.g. FDA, FCC, drug wars, prison cells for misdemeanor crimes). What SHOULD make everyone mad is on what the government spends our tax dollars regardless of from where they come. It doesn't matter whether we have a Fair Tax, a flat tax or keep it the way it is. If the government can't learn how to budget themselves, we all lose. thorne
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    Thornev, you get a refund but you did pay taxes. Why should someone get services for free when you had to pay for them?
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    I think some people here are confusing not owing money at the end of the year with not paying any money at all.
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sweaner View Post
    Thornev, you get a refund but you did pay taxes. Why should someone get services for free when you had to pay for them?
    I don't know what services you mean, but here's an example: school taxes. If only those families who had children that attend a given school paid taxes in that school district, those families could not afford to send their kids to that school because they would shoulder the entire tax burden. So what I do is pay into local school taxes. I get no benefit from those taxes. thorne
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by groovy View Post
    I think some people here are confusing not owing money at the end of the year with not paying any money at all.
    Like me. I get it now. thorne
    Quote Originally Posted by concept2 View Post
    everyone should pay 17% no matter what you make. No credits. I pay about 30% now, but with a flat tax, some interest write offs should eliminated so it's fair.
    I disagree. There should be no Federal or State income taxes. We need not run an empire.

Here is a video of Congressman Ron Paul and a former IRS agent Joe Bannister on how the IRS violates the 16th Amendment.

Increase taxes on consumer goods is ok, but we should be able to decide where and what we spend our income on.
    Phones in Family pre> pre> pre> Centro> Rant
    I've never minded Sales Tax.
    If I'm thrifty, I get rewarded.

I like the idea of luxury tax.
    I like the idea of taxing things like cigarettes & alcohol.

If I want to cut my taxes, I change my spending habits.
    Yeah,
    And like if I get a refund, it's as if the gov is paying me to live here.
    Really, really wanting income taxes to be unconstitutional doesn't make it so....even if you click your heels together and wish really hard:

Our Five Favorite Frivolous Tax Arguments

The Truth About Frivolous Tax Arguments - Section I
    Last edited by Bujin; 04/11/2010 at 05:40 PM.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    That's actually not true. I believe its more like 32% and heading downward.
    42%, actually:

Ratio of CEO to worker pay by country
    Last edited by Bujin; 04/11/2010 at 05:53 PM.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
  15.    #35  
    I don't think people realize that a refund is actually an overpayment of taxes. So in effect you have given the government an interest free loan for the year. Yes, you get it back but with no interest. What lending institution, namely banks, will lend you money for no interest?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    Really, really wanting income taxes to be unconstitutional doesn't make it so....even if you click your heels together and wish really hard:

Now now. Don't rattle the Libertarians' cage. Read the rules posted on the cage and kindly file out before medication time.

Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post

I'm not sure how these links are any better or worse than the ones posted by tax protesters. All written law is open to interpretation as we clearly see with the constitution.
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas View Post
    Now now. Don't rattle the Libertarians' cage. Read the rules posted on the cage and kindly file out before medication time.

Our resident cheerleader has arrived. Don't forget to thank and wink every trivial post just because someone shares the same ideological views as you.
    Quote Originally Posted by NathanS View Post
    Our resident cheerleader has arrived. Don't forget to thank and wink every trivial post just because someone shares the same ideological views as you.
    Will do!

In Oregon they tax you on your refund - calling it income.

Example;
    I owe the gov a dollar in taxes.
    I accidentally sent them $1.25.
    They send me the 25 cents back.
    The next year I have to claim that refund as income.
    Just call me Berd.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast