View Poll Results: I'm sorry I voted for . . .

Voters
73. You may not vote on this poll
  • I voted for John McCain and I'm glad I did!

14 19.18%
  • I voted for John McCain, but I'm sorry I did. :<

2 2.74%
  • I voted for Barack Obama and I'm glad I did!

29 39.73%
  • I voted for Barack Obama but I'm sorry I did. :<

2 2.74%
  • I wouldn't support either of those bums, I voted for someone else.

13 17.81%
  • I didn't vote.

13 17.81%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Ok trying this again. Please answer HONESTLY or the poll will be worthless. Thank you. And please don't ask me to define "Glad", "Sorry" or "Voted"! Use your own judgment. If you can't decide whether you're glad or sorry, leave a message but don't participate in the poll.
    Last edited by RolandStone; 04/06/2010 at 07:42 PM.
    Voting is irrational. No single vote has ever decided a presidential election, while millions of people wasted an hour of their lives doing it.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by NathanS View Post
    Voting is irrational. No single vote has ever decided a presidential election, while millions of people wasted an hour of their lives doing it.
    I nearly made that a choice in the poll:

"I don't vote, it only encourages 'em!"

I thought that quote was attributable to Mark Twain, but I'm not finding any support for that online. In fact I thought that was Pap talking in Huckleberry Finn, but I guess not. The only attributions I can find are to Jack Parr or "anonymous".

I know its a very tiny sample now, but so far the results are very supportive of a hypothesis I was testing. I don't want to talk about my hypothesis yet because I don't want to skew the results.
    Last edited by RolandStone; 04/06/2010 at 08:21 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandStone View Post
    Ok trying this again. Please answer HONESTLY or the poll will be worthless. Thank you. And please don't ask me to define "Glad", "Sorry" or "Voted"! Use your own judgment. If you can't decide whether you're glad or sorry, leave a message but don't participate in the poll.
    Wow. The poll is already worthless, and your attitude about it is downright rude. If you want to try and approach something meaningful, you need to make sure your question is specific. If you don't define what the responses mean, and expect people to use their own judgement, shut up and accept whatever you get.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    Wow. The poll is already worthless, and your attitude about it is downright rude. If you want to try and approach something meaningful, you need to make sure your question is specific. If you don't define what the responses mean, and expect people to use their own judgement, shut up and accept whatever you get.
    Seriously? You want me to define glad, sorry and voted? You're the last person I'd expect to be going all Bill Clinton on me!

"That depends on what the meaning of 'is' is!"
    Seriously?
    Yes, seriously. You're being very rude. If you want a question to have any chance of being answered, starting off by insulting potential respondents that you deem any questions they may have about clarity to be beneath you is hardly the way to go about it. Going further by 'shouting' that you don't think they're going to be honest is silly.
    You want me to define glad, sorry and voted?
    Considering that your previous two attempts at these sort of 'polls' have been less than clear, I would expect you to have less attitude about it.
    You're the last person I'd expect to be going all Bill Clinton on me!

"That depends on what the meaning of 'is' is!"
    If that's what you really got out of what I said, you obviously don't have any ability to 'expect' anything out of me.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
  7.    #7  
    Well Toby, all I can say is that so far you're the only one who has expressed any displeasure with the poll. Rather than try to pick mine apart, you're always free to create your own.

But somehow I suspect you may be more displeased with the votes cast so far than with the wording of the poll.
    Last edited by RolandStone; 04/06/2010 at 10:07 PM.
  8.    #8  
    I am going to make one preliminary observation:

Where are all the McCain voters so far? Is the PreCentral community that heavily skewed towards Democrats and Independents? Or is there something deeper going on? Were McCain voters so disgusted with the outcome of the election that more than a year later they still can't even bear to re-examine their choices for even the few seconds it takes to answer this poll?

Or is the title of the poll itself, "I'm Glad I Voted for . . ." so (unintentionally) biased towards Democrats that it's skewing the result? If so, I apologize, but please vote anyway.
    Last edited by RolandStone; 04/06/2010 at 10:09 PM.
    Totally agree with Toby. Give up the poll thing. Your bias shows.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    I am going to make one preliminary observation:

Where are all the McCain voters so far? Is the PreCentral community that heavily skewed towards Democrats and Independents?
    27 votes is hardly representative of the Pre Central or Treo central communities, both of which have access to this Off Topic area.

Whats your goal here? What are you hoping you poll proves?
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    Well Toby, all I can say is that so far you're the only one who has expressed any displeasure with the poll.
    You aren't paying attention. I'm not displeased with the poll. I'm displeased with your attitude.
    Rather than try to pick mine apart, you're always free to create your own.
    I'm not picking your poll apart. I'm 'picking your attitude apart'.
    But somehow I suspect you may be more displeased with the votes cast so far than with the wording of the poll.
    LOL...the only one that seems to be displeased with the votes on your polls is you.
    You should have two more options right between the last two in your list:

1. I voted for McCain, but I didn't like either candidate enough to feel strongly about it.

2. I voted for Obama, but I didn't like either candidate enough to feel strongly about it.

I would have picked #1 there. I did vote for McCain despite some MAJOR reservations about his policies, but only because I believed Obama to be a slightly worse candidate. It was a bit like trying to choose which finger I would want cut off. No good options, but if I've got cut off a finger, I'd rather it be a pinky than a thumb.

That's pretty much how I've felt about every presidential election in my lifetime. I vote republican more often than I vote democrat, but I have voted both ways. Always it's the same, voting for the candidate I hope will do the least damage, never the candidate I believe will do any good in office.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof View Post
    27 votes is hardly representative of the Pre Central or Treo central communities, both of which have access to this Off Topic area.

Whats your goal here? What are you hoping you poll proves?
    Well Woof, I'm hardly surprised that you agree with Toby. All I can say is that you're just as free to create your own poll as you are to take potshots at mine.

As to what I'm hoping to prove, a good pollster doesn't hope to PROVE anything. He just hopes to LEARN something. But, let's give this a few days at least before we go there. I don't want to skew the results. But you're free to speculate!
    Where are all the McCain voters so far? Is the PreCentral community that heavily skewed towards Democrats and Independents?
    It clearly is. Even a quick browse through the OT forum here will show anyone who doesn't think that CNN is objective that this forum is EXTREMELY skewed to the left.

The other forum I post on (although less frequently lately) is straightrazorplace.com which is a community of straight razor collectors, users, restorers and enthusiasts. That community is skewed just as far to the right as pre central is skewed to the left.

Most communities have their own particular political bent, be it the working class (which is a lot more conservative than the so-called "champions of the working class" on the left would have you believe), white collars, doctors, universities, ethnic communities (i.e. chinatown regions of major cities, and other ethnic enclaves withing large cities), religious groups (some of which are far more liberal than you might expect) and so on.

This community, as a whole, is skewed far to the left, so there are a lot more people who voted for BO.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    You should have two more options right between the last two in your list:

1. I voted for McCain, but I didn't like either candidate enough to feel strongly about it.

2. I voted for Obama, but I didn't like either candidate enough to feel strongly about it.

I would have picked #1 there. I did vote for McCain despite some MAJOR reservations about his policies, but only because I believed Obama to be a slightly worse candidate. It was a bit like trying to choose which finger I would want cut off. No good options, but if I've got cut off a finger, I'd rather it be a pinky than a thumb.

That's pretty much how I've felt about every presidential election in my lifetime. I vote republican more often than I vote democrat, but I have voted both ways. Always it's the same, voting for the candidate I hope will do the least damage, never the candidate I believe will do any good in office.
    I don't disagree that if this were a professional poll, those extra choices would probably be included. But I didn't want the list to be too long or complicated. And I am trying to inject a little levity into the process (hence the comment about bums.) Your extra choices aren't ripe for humor.

Still, if I understand your reasoning correctly, wouldn't you still be in the "I Voted for McCain and I'm Glad I Did" column? It doesn't sound like you now think you made the wrong choice.

Oh dear, I guess we're heading towards what the definition of "glad" is.

Perhaps I should have said "I Voted for John McCain and upon reflection I still believe I made the correct choice." But that's so long and boring.
    Well Woof, I'm hardly surprised that you agree with Toby.
    You may be surprised before it's all said and done.
    All I can say is that you're just as free to create your own poll as you are to take potshots at mine.
    How can you expect anyone to seriously self-evaluate when you can't do it yourself?
    As to what I'm hoping to prove, a good pollster doesn't hope to PROVE anything.
    Except that you've already stated that you have a hypothesis that you're working towards. This effectively 'proves' that you are not a good pollster, and you lack self perception.
  17.    #17  
    I said I was "testing" a hypothesis, not that I was "hoping to prove" one. If you're familiar with the scientific method you should know the difference. If you're not familiar with the scientific method, Google it.

And your comment about self-evaluation seems like a non-sequitor to you being free to create your own poll.
    Well Woof, I'm hardly surprised that you agree with Toby. All I can say is that you're just as free to create your own poll as you are to take potshots at mine.
    Toby and I agree occasionally.

If you cant handle to heat stay out of the kitchen.
    — Ed Howdershelt
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    It clearly is. Even a quick browse through the OT forum here will show anyone who doesn't think that CNN is objective that this forum is EXTREMELY skewed to the left.

The other forum I post on (although less frequently lately) is straightrazorplace.com which is a community of straight razor collectors, users, restorers and enthusiasts. That community is skewed just as far to the right as pre central is skewed to the left.

Most communities have their own particular political bent, be it the working class (which is a lot more conservative than the so-called "champions of the working class" on the left would have you believe), white collars, doctors, universities, ethnic communities (i.e. chinatown regions of major cities, and other ethnic enclaves withing large cities), religious groups (some of which are far more liberal than you might expect) and so on.

This community, as a whole, is skewed far to the left, so there are a lot more people who voted for BO.
    My observations of these topics over the years don't match yours. But it may be that the right wingers are just more vocal.

Straightrazorplace.Com? That's a new one on me! Do they allow posting of polls over there? Might be interesting to put this one up there.

But the only thing I know about straight razors is that under an electron microscope you can easily see that a well-stropped straight razor is signficantly sharper than the best off-the-shelf razor you can buy. While even the cheapest disposable safety razor can still get the job done on a molecular level.
  20.    #20  
    I am curious about who the "someone else"s were. If you don't mind naming names, please do.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast