View Poll Results: I'm sorry I voted for . . .

Voters
73. You may not vote on this poll
  • I voted for John McCain and I'm glad I did!

    14 19.18%
  • I voted for John McCain, but I'm sorry I did. :<

    2 2.74%
  • I voted for Barack Obama and I'm glad I did!

    29 39.73%
  • I voted for Barack Obama but I'm sorry I did. :<

    2 2.74%
  • I wouldn't support either of those bums, I voted for someone else.

    13 17.81%
  • I didn't vote.

    13 17.81%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 39 of 39
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by NathanS View Post
    Voting is irrational. No single vote has ever decided a presidential election, while millions of people wasted an hour of their lives doing it.
    very glad you believe this -- and I hope you continue to act on that belief ...
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandStone View Post
    I said I was "testing" a hypothesis, not that I was "hoping to prove" one.
    And this changes the implication how exactly? Is it the exception that proves the rule?
    If you're familiar with the scientific method you should know the difference. If you're not familiar with the scientific method, Google it.
    FYI, when I put something in single quotes, it's not something that I'm saying I believe but rather just using the terminology previously used. It's like 'air quotes' only just slightly less douchy (intentionally misspelt).
    And your comment about self-evaluation seems like a non-sequitor to you being free to create your own poll.
    It is non sequitur to that particular issue. However, it follows the overall theme that the poll itself is not the real issue.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandStone View Post
    I am curious about who the "someone else"s were. If you don't mind naming names, please do.
    I voted for the Louisiana Taxpayers Party slate of electors who committed to voting for Ron Paul and Barry Goldwater Jr. I'm not 100% in agreement with Dr. Paul on everything, but I couldn't vote in good conscience for any of the other candidates, least of all my party's.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
  4. angiest's Avatar
    Posts
    933 Posts
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandStone View Post
    I am curious about who the "someone else"s were. If you don't mind naming names, please do.
    Bob Barr, LP candidate. Done more to register a vote in opposition to the big two that as a measure of support for Barr or the LP. We really need an option of none of the above, even if it is non-binding. A non-vote is rarely counted, or at least displayed in talleys.
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by angiest View Post
    Bob Barr, LP candidate. Done more to register a vote in opposition to the big two that as a measure of support for Barr or the LP. We really need an option of none of the above, even if it is non-binding. A non-vote is rarely counted, or at least displayed in talleys.
    Which reminds me that even if I had wanted to vote for him, the LP screwed up and didn't get him on the ballot in time anyway.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
  6. angiest's Avatar
    Posts
    933 Posts
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    Which reminds me that even if I had wanted to vote for him, the LP screwed up and didn't get him on the ballot in time anyway.
    As I recall neither McCain nor Obama actually filed in time in Texas, but still got on the ballot...
  7. angiest's Avatar
    Posts
    933 Posts
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    Which reminds me that even if I had wanted to vote for him, the LP screwed up and didn't get him on the ballot in time anyway.
    What are ballot access laws like east of the Sabine, anyway?
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by angiest View Post
    What are ballot access laws like east of the Sabine, anyway?
    Basically a filing fee (or signatures) and a deadline. In 2008, the offices were closed on the official deadline due to Gustav, so they extended it a little, but neither the Libertarian or Socialist parties made it.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
  9.    #29  
    Toby,

    Hypothetically lets say the next Presidential Election came down to:

    Barack Obama - Dem
    Mitt Romney - Rep
    Sarah Palin - Tea
    Ron Paul - Lib ( I know it's unlikely that Paul would leave the GOP, but indulge me.)

    Would you vote for any of the above?
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandStone View Post
    Toby,

    Hypothetically lets say the next Presidential Election came down to:

    Barack Obama - Dem
    Mitt Romney - Rep
    Sarah Palin - Tea
    Ron Paul - Lib ( I know it's unlikely that Paul would leave the GOP, but indulge me.)

    Would you vote for any of the above?
    If those were my only options, Ron Paul.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
  11. Micael's Avatar
    Posts
    736 Posts
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    #31  
    Nevermind Ron Paul, how do you get Sarah Palin leading the Tea Party? Both she and Ron Paul keynoted at their first national conference, but I wouldn't say she's their best choice - and have no indication that she's been asked, or has offered. You just need a slot for her?
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
  12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    Nevermind Ron Paul, how do you get Sarah Palin leading the Tea Party? Both she and Ron Paul keynoted at their first national conference, but I wouldn't say she's their best choice - and have no indication that she's been asked, or has offered. You just need a slot for her?
    I was just trying to get a clue as to Toby's leanings, not trying to prognosticate who the actual candidates will be in 2012. At this point I think the only certainty is that Barack Obama will be the Democratic nominee.


    At this point if I had to bet on the GOP ticket, I'd say the odds favor Palin/Brown. I don't think the Tea Party will have a candidate of its own on the ballot.
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandStone View Post
    I was just trying to get a clue as to Toby's leanings, not trying to prognosticate who the actual candidates will be in 2012.
    Asking politely is the simplest way. Realistically, the closest thing to describing my views would be minarchist. However, I'd be up for becoming a benevolent dictator if I didn't believe such a thing to be corrupting.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
  14. #34  
    Note to the OP.

    Somehow in click my choice I created a hanging chad. How do you plan to count my vote, or will it count at all?
  15.    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Note to the OP.

    Somehow in click my choice I created a hanging chad. How do you plan to count my vote, or will it count at all?
    You must be from Florida!
  16. angiest's Avatar
    Posts
    933 Posts
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    Asking politely is the simplest way. Realistically, the closest thing to describing my views would be minarchist. However, I'd be up for becoming a benevolent dictator if I didn't believe such a thing to be corrupting.
    Minarchist is not a term very many of us use.

    John Galt rejected being economic dictator, you know...
  17.    #37  
    Ok, I think enough votes have been cast for me to comment on my original purpose in creating this poll.

    I listen to Sean Hannity and Mark Levin almost every day. (Don't worry, I also listen to Stephanie Miller and Randy Rhodes). A recurring theme (especially on Hannity) was that the reason Obama won the election was that the mainstream media had helped promote "Obamamania" whereby some percentage of the electorate was fooled, seduced, brainwashed, or hypnotized into some kind of mass hysteria.

    But beginning last summer with rising unemployment and the advent of the Tea Party and their opposition to "Obamacare", according to Hannity and Levin, Obamamania was finally wearing off and the electorate (or some significant portion of it) was snapping out of it and they were ANGRY that they had been duped.

    I hypothesized that if this were true, the "I Voted For Barack Obama, but I'm sorry I did" choice might garner a significant chunk of votes.

    But I suspected all along, and still do, that among the ranks of the Tea Partiers and Anti-Obamacare crowd you will find very few people who were former Obama supporters.

    I find it interesting that so far, in absolute numbers, the "I'm Sorry I did" crowd is equally split between McCain and Obama voters. And by percentage, its actually a larger percentage of regretful McCain voters than Obama voters!

    Yes I know you can't prove anything with an online self-selected pool of voters from PreCentral. But there's certainly nothing in this poll to make me question my original suspicions. Obama campaigned on Universal Health Care, so why would anyone switch his vote away from Obama just because he was trying to carry through on his campaign platform?

    I wouldn't be surprised if the "I'm Sorry I Voted for Barack Obama" votes are actually from left-wingers who are sorry because Obama failed to insist on Single Payer or a Public Option.
  18. angiest's Avatar
    Posts
    933 Posts
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    #38  
    Yeaaaah, that's a great sample size from which to draw a conclusion...
  19.    #39  
    Sample size isn't the problem. You could have a thousand votes in a poll like this and it would still be of dubious value. But if you actually read my post you won't find any "conclusion" drawn. I said only that there was nothing about these results to make me doubt my suspicions that there are very few former Obama supporters in the Tea Party.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions