Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    not that I’m not intrigued by the potential for the iPad – by its lengthy battery life, its light weight, its usefulness for watching movies on long flights, its potential wealth of interesting and useful applications.

No I am not an unalterable Apple hater -– its not just that BARYE is incurably jealous of Steve Jobs (well not entirely... )

The reason I hope no one buys it, is because of that potential -– because it could be so useful, because it COULD be so great to have in ones back pack.

But unconscionably Jobs once again has stabbed us in our heart with his proprietary nonsense.

No SD card slot ??? Bad – stupid even – but I sorta get how Jobs needs to make it hard to expand his gizmo's memory -– lest he lose the lever to extract that extra two hundred or so smackers from your wallet. Why else would you pay so much for more storage ??

No Flash ?? Inconvenient on many sites for now –- but an issue that will sort itself out over time as more websites adopt HTML 5, and otherwise move away from proprietary Flash.

No multi-tasking ?? Kinda annoying, and dumb – most especially since the ARM based processor the iPad uses could seemingly do it without much of a sweat. But perhaps the performance hit is sufficient to slow the iPad’s currently greased lightning interface enough that Steve didn’t want to sacrifice grace for utility.

No camera ?? No video Skype, no spontaneous iPad youTubes ?? Dumb.

But even more dumb is keeping the iTouch camera-less -- which keeps me from owning one. Naw -- no camera is another annoying Jobs bit of arrogance toward his users, but its not a deal breaker in and of itself.

No, what really infuriates BARYE is how Steve neglected to include even one USB port on his tablet.

That universal USB connector enables a world of capability and access.

I sometimes travel to remote destinations, places that don’t always have the most modern tech facilities or the best equipped internet cafes.

A USB port could have been an emergency alternate charging port, it could have allowed me to use an Ethernet to USB adapter for internet cafes that don’t have wifi, it would have enabled easy drag and drop access to computer files, thumb drives, standard keyboards, etc...

It would have taken up next to no space and cost little to incorporate.

There would have been issues of battery draw that maybe needed to be addressed for devices it powered etc. -– but I suspect that they that could have been surmounted by simply providing the iPad with a low voltage USB port.

Instead he requires the use of his restricted proprietary connector for which we must buy an expensive adapter to use.

I confess to being only a minor geek -- and I very well maybe wrong about many of the technical complaints that I have, but I think Jobs closed garden aesthetic is destructive.

I hope I’m not alone in wanting Jobs somehow to be punished for his tyrannical proprietary demands.
    Last edited by BARYE; 04/06/2010 at 04:09 PM.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    +1
    Global Posts
    278 Global Posts
    +2
    Once the excitement of the iPad settles, they will realize that they should have bought a netbook instead with some left over for an iPod Touch!

im no apple hater too, in fact i love all things apple, but jobs has a talent that he exploits really well, that is whatever he says is cool... he has this "reality distortion field" that he engages at will!
    Why is it when I read about either Apple or Steve Jobs I start feeling sick to my stomach?
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Well, if you're really that interested in a USB port then the Joo Joo has answered your prayers. Their USB port doesn't do anything, mind you, because without the drivers it is useless or, even worse, causes all sorts of problems.

While you may have fond memories of USB-connected functionality, I can remember tons of problems caused by them on my PC and Mac products including: hanging on boot, crashes, connection speed problems, configuring COM ports, HotSync (which was total crap) and searching and waiting for drivers. Even now, people are expecting their USB to charge the iPad, however, there isn't enough juice in a lot of devices to do it.

Nope. Any device that makes you cross your fingers when you plug it in or remove it probably isn't for the target-user of the iPad.
    maybe I'm wrong, but those sorts of issues were seen during USB's early days.

Now USB drivers mostly come within the operating system -- or are easily installed with plug and play ease.

What you're really describing is the bad old days of serial ports, irq conflicts, and other insanities.

USB has proven to be a remarkably adaptable and robust connector and format. It has gracefully evolved to higher speeds (twice) -- and is capable of charging and non-charging configurations, as well being used on a wealth of devices never anticipated originally.

(BTW -- I remember long ago walking around a Taiwan trade show asking vendors if their new MBs had USB ports -- and getting embarrassed shrugs half the time ...)
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post
    maybe I'm wrong, but those sorts of issues were seen during USB's early days.

Now USB drivers mostly come within the operating system -- or are easily installed with plug and play ease.

What you're really describing is the bad old days of serial ports, irq conflicts, and other insanities.

USB has proven to be a remarkably adaptable and robust connector and format. It has gracefully evolved to higher speeds (twice) -- and is capable of charging and non-charging configurations, as well being used on a wealth of devices never anticipated originally.

(BTW -- I remember long ago walking around a Taiwan trade show asking vendors if their new MBs had USB ports -- and getting embarrassed shrugs half the time ...)
    I agree with this. I do remember the days of USB issues...back in the late 90s maybe..
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Most of the things you mentioned will be developed in later models. Because, why sell only one iPad to some incurable Apple fanatic when you can sell one iPad every April?
    Quote Originally Posted by groovy View Post
    Most of the things you mentioned will be developed in later models. Because, why sell only one iPad to some incurable Apple fanatic when you can sell one iPad every April?
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by zelgo View Post
    I'm not an Apple Fan Boy, but, Apple is pretty responsive to consumer demands. If people want a USB port, in time, it'll be on the iPad.

No No No No --- or rather: No No No No -- maybe... (but grudgingly)

iTouch started with no speaker -- got one 2nd gen. Still has no camera, though the iPod got one (!!!).

Multi-tasking is not enabled on any of the iDevices.

Steve initially really restricted access to software developers -- he opened it up (though still tightly controlled by Apple) because of the synergistic effect that good programs had for consumer demand of the iDevices.

the iTouch, iPhone, and iPad have no USB ports -- and BARYE will be restored to his proper throne as planetary imperial emperorship before one of them gets normal USBs.
    The iPad has already sold about as many as Pre's have been sold in 10 months...
    Last edited by mdmogren; 04/06/2010 at 09:29 PM.
    I was a Apple fan long before they started naming OS's after various big cats, as a matter of fact I still have a iMac running OS 9.2.

I have been much less so the more proprietary Apple products have become. So I agree with the OP 100%. However with 300.000 sold on launch day, it appears the masses don't get it.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Global Posts
    209 Global Posts
    Funny lil rant . Being that the ipad sold over 300,000 ipads on launch day ( I got 2 of them ... I don't think the will fail....

And the no camera thing I think it is kind of stupid but the ipad 2 will def have one..
    Quote Originally Posted by vza33 View Post
    I was a Apple fan long before they started naming OS's after various big cats, as a matter of fact I still have a iMac running OS 9.2.

I have been much less so the more proprietary Apple products have become. So I agree with the OP 100%. However with 300.000 sold on launch day, it appears the masses don't get it.
    Maybe because the mass doesn't have to patch or work with homebrew to circumvent inabilities. They get a ready to consume product (even if they not really need it) and it works. If some want more, they can jailbreak

While WebOS is a great OS, it gets not a grip on the market. With that no developers to push. Reminds me of VHS vs Beta 2000 or the appearence of Windows. Not the best wins, but the most easiest to use. And this is what the i's usually offer. One entry, one device together with the flair of riding the style wave...
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackmonday73 View Post
    Maybe because the mass doesn't have to patch or work with homebrew to circumvent inabilities. They get a ready to consume product (even if they not really need it) and it works. If some want more, they can jailbreak
    Didn't you just contradict yourself? Why did people jailbreak the iPhone? Wasn't it to overcome inabilities like no video recording, no teathering, etc?
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackmonday73 View Post

While WebOS is a great OS, it gets not a grip on the market. With that no developers to push. Reminds me of VHS vs Beta 2000 or the appearence of Windows. Not the best wins, but the most easiest to use. And this is what the i's usually offer. One entry, one device together with the flair of riding the style wave...
    I understand what you are saying, but I wasn't comparing the iPad to webOS. I'm taking about issues regarding Job's need to make Apple products more and more proprietary, and offer less options until he decides to provide them at an extra cost and at his whim.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by neno23231 View Post
    Funny lil rant . Being that the ipad sold over 300,000 ipads on launch day ( I got 2 of them ... I don't think the will fail....

And the no camera thing I think it is kind of stupid but the ipad 2 will def have one..
    You don't find it insulting that you bought 2 of these very expensive products that lack a feature you want, knowing full well it will be available next year in version 2? It's not that the feature wasn't avialble or the technology wasn't there... it's a straight-up cash grab.

My issue with Apple is perception. I feel like, once upon a time, Apple was the underdog complaining about Microsoft and their practices. Perhaps I'm fuzzy on my history, but it seems like Microsoft is now the company that, perhaps due to legislation or the threat thereof, lets everyone plug and play. APPLE is now the company that makes products that intentionally push other software (and hardware) developers into the margins.

Yes, it's always nice to see the underdog triumph over adversity. However, as Harvey Dent once said, "You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain". Apple has become that villain.
    Didn't you just contradict yourself? Why did people jailbreak the iPhone? Wasn't it to overcome inabilities like no video recording, no teathering, etc?
    I thought it was so they could use mods and applications that Apple doesn't think are good for their customers. And goodness knows that Apple knows best!
    Global Posts
    209 Global Posts
    JSTEW10 yeah a lil but my kids wanted them so I gotem ...

it's only money you can't take it with you when your gone so I will enjoy it while I'm here ..
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by neno23231 View Post
    it's only money you can't take it with you when your gone so I will enjoy it while I'm here ..
    Ahmen.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast