Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I agree that no USB port is a head scratcher in this day and age, but you know Apple loves to make money off proprietary features...

No SD card slot, typical Apple. You can only buy from them the memory size you want and they make more money.

No Flash was expected, Jobs hates Adobe for some reason.

There are rumors that the next firmware for the phone and pad will multi-task, that's a positive if true.

On the flip side of wanting it to fail; remember people wished that on the phone too? Well it succeeded and actually forced other manufactuers to:

1. Put out better screens and capacitive screens at that.

2. Get rid of the &%$# headphone jack adapters and use a STANDARD 3.5mm jack!! Big thumbs up from me because there's no longer a need for 2 devices.

3. Although Apple likes to restrict you into buying your storage from them, other manufacturers did one better. They not only gave you built in storage but let you add an SD card. Except palm for some reason.

4. Android, webOS, even WM7, stepped up their game to compete with the easy flow of iPhone OS.

I could go on, but my point is basically the iPhone forced better phones, like it or not. And if the iPad succeeds, it'll force better ebook readers and tablets. Although I don't think it'll take off like the phone exactly YET.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by groovy View Post
    Didn't you just contradict yourself? Why did people jailbreak the iPhone? Wasn't it to overcome inabilities like no video recording, no teathering, etc?
    Nope, I say ordinary users are happy as it is. Geeks still can do more by jailbreak. So more cuatomer groups are happy. For alm you have to be more geek or at least tech interested. Otherwise fun is not taken for certain
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackmonday73 View Post
    Nope, I say ordinary users are happy as it is. Geeks still can do more by jailbreak. So more cuatomer groups are happy. For alm you have to be more geek or at least tech interested. Otherwise fun is not taken for certain
    How is that different than the Pre? What couldn't you do on a Pre when it initially launched that was a reasonable expectation of a phone?
    Quote Originally Posted by vza33 View Post
    I understand what you are saying, but I wasn't comparing the iPad to webOS. I'm taking about issues regarding Job's need to make Apple products more and more proprietary, and offer less options until he decides to provide them at an extra cost and at his whim.
    That's exactly why I don't have an iphone or would ever get one. Don't like monopolists.
    I have always found it amazing that Apple is the ONLY company with customers that CANT WAIT for their devices to be obsolete so they can throw everything out and buy it all again. Truly fascinating. Think about how much baggage Microsoft and Intel have had to deal with over the years to make things backward-compatible, and how badly Vista failed for lack thereof.

And yet, OSX can be a hit even though nothing was compatible. Snow leopard adds features that can't be added to the PowerPC devices running OSX Leopard. Very little of what they make is upgradeable. If they run out of ideas they just add memory and a faster processor, and everyone buys the new model even though the one they have works just fine.

It is truly an amazing thing. My theory is that he made the same deal for his soul that Bruce Willis must have to get the Moonlighting role and marry Demi Moore (let's face it, no way he should have been able to get either...)

I'd like to see Apple fail just because they need to fail for the world to remain in balance. And I really don't get why anyone would want an iPad. It reminds me of what the iPhone would probably look like if AT&T had designed the the iPhone hardware.

And knowing that they will upgrade it to overcome the things it's missing, and the next one will come for less money. It's amazing that Apple keeps selling these things. The last product that was this underwhelming was the Newton (both iPad and Newton were developed when Jobs wasn't around... and there is a trend there...)

It isn't as good for e-books as a Kindle, and it isn't as good for web use as my netbook, and I could buy one of each for what a fully loaded iPad would cost. I just don't get it...

The reason Apple doesn't permit true multitasking is that it would require that applications would be able to access services and each other in ways they wont allow. That's why you can multi-task their browser while listening to iTunes - only Apple apps can work together like that. That is why Apple won't get Flash, they won't open up services that Flash needs to work.

The other thing Apple does is proactively reach out and undo jailbreaks and other things they didn't want you to do. Once I connected my Boss's iPod to my PC for a charge and clicked the "sync" dialog, and it erased her entire iPod and replaced it with the songs on my iTunes. Or when people figured out how to strip the DRM off their iTunes. Then Apple would update iTunes, recognize those songs, and put new DRM back. Just like they changed iTunes to break Palm's music sync feature. They did the same thing when RealPlayer learned how to put music from the RealMusic store on the iPods. Apple kept releasing changes to break it.... and on and on.

That stuff should drive Apple users crazy, but somehow they beg for more.

I actually have a Mac, and if Verizon ever got the iPhone it is the only non-Palm phone I'd consider - so sage the "hater" labels.

I'm just saying... no other company could get away with reaching in to equipment in the hands of their customers and regain control. And no other company has customers that can't wait for their toys to be obsoleted by new toys.

Quote Originally Posted by jstew10 View Post
    You don't find it insulting that you bought 2 of these very expensive products that lack a feature you want, knowing full well it will be available next year in version 2? It's not that the feature wasn't avialble or the technology wasn't there... it's a straight-up cash grab.

My issue with Apple is perception. I feel like, once upon a time, Apple was the underdog complaining about Microsoft and their practices. Perhaps I'm fuzzy on my history, but it seems like Microsoft is now the company that, perhaps due to legislation or the threat thereof, lets everyone plug and play. APPLE is now the company that makes products that intentionally push other software (and hardware) developers into the margins.

Yes, it's always nice to see the underdog triumph over adversity. However, as Harvey Dent once said, "You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain". Apple has become that villain.
    Quote Originally Posted by neno23231 View Post
    JSTEW10 yeah a lil but my kids wanted them so I gotem ...

it's only money you can't take it with you when your gone so I will enjoy it while I'm here ..
    Wouldn't it be embarrassing if you are wrong about that? What would you tell St Peter if you discover a toll booth at the pearly gates, or that you have to pay for groceries... It's not like you could run back home to get your wallet or checkbook.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackmonday73 View Post
    The difference is that Apple will proactively "un-jailbreak" the iPhones and otherwise change anything they feel like whether the user wants to or not. That sort of heavy-handedness would put most companies out of business, but somehow people like it, and beg for more.
    Anyone see this the other day?
    Quote Originally Posted by groovy View Post
    How is that different than the Pre? What couldn't you do on a Pre when it initially launched that was a reasonable expectation of a phone?
    Given that it is a smartphone I would expect it to be able to send text messages in cirillic. Surprisingly it works in mails or internet, but not for text. It's not a carrier issue as it works with other phones. Iphone comes out in 10 languages from the production site. Pre? Despite having ability for VBK it just exists as a patch. Lost potential in my opinion. How many spanish speaking, russian speaking live alone in the US?

Many things are just there because of the great work many here have been done. Without homebrew can you imagine the possibilities for Europeans with regard to apps? Some things the phone is supposed to have by design? Why multitasking if nothing available to multitask with? My old Nokia could do the same things I would have done without homebrew. But with each update of WebOS either things stop working or some stuff has to be reinstalled. Didn't expect that

Any other brand delivered much more from scratch. Palm doesn't cover most countries which would be essential for more developers to become interesting.

I'm kind of negative, cause I waited 10 months until I could buy it and since I bought it, 6 months ago, I see no real improvement. At least for things I needed and expected.
    Global Posts
    209 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Wouldn't it be embarrassing if you are wrong about that? What would you tell St Peter if you discover a toll booth at the pearly gates, or that you have to pay
    for groceries... It's not like you could
    run back home to get your wallet or checkbook.

read what you jus wrote and ask yourself do I have any sense.

money has no soul duh you need jesus foreal... BLASPHEMY
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post
    Anyone see this the other day?
    brilliant !
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Quote Originally Posted by neno23231 View Post
    Funny lil rant . Being that the ipad sold over 300,000 ipads on launch day ( I got 2 of them ... I don't think the will fail....

And the no camera thing I think it is kind of stupid but the ipad 2 will def have one..
    Just look at all the free advertising that Engadget, Gizmodo, CNN, and all the other sites. Apple does not need to market their products. Everyone laughed at the name, and calls it an oversized IPod Touch. Yet everyone is flocking on the day of release. I never saw one TV ad for the product!! No worries, V2 will get a camera. Then V3 will get a USB port. This is the way Apple works, minor changes to make you buy again. There will be another release and ******* will flock and bow before Mr. Jobs.

I am sick of all the HYPE of a should be failed product, that is labeled as a must have product. I bet the HP Slate will not get the news on Engadget or Gizmodo.
    "get a life"
    That's funny.

And PP, I did see 1 or 2 ads on TV. But yeah, the tech sites as well as some mainstream sites are all over the iPad. But some sites are griping about iPad App prices.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    "get a life"
    That's funny.

And PP, I did see 1 or 2 ads on TV. But yeah, the tech sites as well as some mainstream sites are all over the iPad. But some sites are griping about iPad App prices.
    G4 host isn't pleased by it... Please see my previous post on this thread
    the concept of the ipad is great, however the functionality is pointless. The target competition would be netbooks which still have more functions most of the time and flash support, and can do things like print and whatnot. Not sure of all the differences between ipad and itouch, but an I touch and netbook would serve as better for 499 unless you really need a giant ipod touch.

however, yet again, this will drive a new market, multitouch tablets and will eventually become better and surpass functionality of ipad. (however ipad will probably still be most popular.)
    I do think the 3G models are too expensive just to have no expandable storage. At those prices, I could get another laptop.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12