View Poll Results: Are you smarter than Barack Obama?

Voters
95. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

31 32.63%
  • No

37 38.95%
  • Not Sure

6 6.32%
  • That's not for me to determine.

21 22.11%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    Carry it a step further to include everyone between 135 (extremely gifted, but short of genius) and 65 (severely mentally disabled but still able to communicate more or less normally) and you will cover well over 98% of the population.
    Depends on the test.
  2.    #62  
    The "YES" vote is gaining ground! Only a few days left though. Meanwhile, if you've already voted here, please head over to "I'm Glad I Voted For . . ." and participate there too.

Thanks.
  3.    #63  
    I find it amusing that people are still debating the meaning of smart. This wasn't intended to be a scientifically accurate measurement, just a humorous social survey. When George Bush was President, all you had to do was watch The Tonight Show any night of the week to hear jokes about him being dumb as a bag of rocks. That doesn't mean it was necessarily true, but on some level, that was the popular conception (or misconception.) You never hear those jokes about Barack Obama. If anything its the opposite. The other night I heard Jimmy Fallon describe him as "the smartest kid in the class" which got me to thinking about creating this poll.

This poll wasn't constructed to test any hypothesis, but my suspicion is that few people who actually voted FOR Obama have voted "YES" in this poll. The more interesting question is how many people who voted AGAINST Obama would nevertheless begrudingly admit that he's "the smartest kid in the class".

I guess we'll never know, but it sure looks like a lot of people will NEVER admit that someone they disagree with might be smarter than they are.
    Quote Originally Posted by groovy View Post
    Depends on the test.
    True, yet that fact completely fails to alter or weaken the point.
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    True, yet that fact completely fails to alter or weaken the point.
    I know, just nitpicking.
    Quote Originally Posted by groovy View Post
    I know, just nitpicking.
    Alright, replace every instance of "IQ" in my post with the phrase "score on a standard Cambridge IQ test"

Nit successfully picked.
    My comment on this thread was removed. Will a moderator please email it to me so I can see what I wrote in anger, if it was really that bad?
    Actually, it follows quite nicely. What you are describing is not an average.
    Statistically, you are correct. I'm simply pointing to the practical application that the 'average' psychologist is going to use. If someone scores 101 on an IQ test, would you refer to them as 'above average'? It's similar to an old visual joke about bisecting the bell curve and 'proving' that half of the population is 'below average' on the IQ scale.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
  9.    #69  
    Probably the most important factor I consider when judging someone's "smarts" is his (or her) ability to express himself in spoken and written English. When I have to make a hiring decision, a poorly written resume or cover letter is the quickest route to the reject pile. And if you make it into an interview, outstanding communicative skills will go a long way towards compensating for other deficiencies. I know there's also math smarts and ethical smarts and street smarts and a host of other smarts. But it can take much longer for those kind of smarts to become apparent. The FIRST thing I notice is communication skills. And in my opinion, Barack Obama has those in spades (no racial slur intended!)

I don't know why so many on the right refuse to let go of the teleprompter thing. I think perhaps it's because they don't want to admit that a black man could be so eloquent without cheating somehow. But I've seen Obama handle himself admirably in many situations without any teleprompter: TV interviews, press conferences, the all-day health summit, the walk into the "lion's den" of Republican congressmen.

George W. Bush, on the other hand . . . well let's just say that when gynecologists all over America "aren't able to practice their love with women all across this country", the Right Wingnuts don't seem too upset by it.
    Last edited by RolandStone; 04/07/2010 at 09:46 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandStone View Post
    Probably the most important factor I consider when judging someone's "smarts" is his (or her) ability to express himself in spoken and written English.
    While that does go a long way towards making someone appear smart, I'd hardly say that it's remotely a determining factor for me. I'm part of the first generation in my culture where English can be considered a native language (despite the fact that my ancestors have been here before the US existed). The educational system here did even more to damage that with the way it treated them. I still consider a fair number of them smart.
    But it can take much longer for those kind of smarts to become apparent. The FIRST thing I notice is communication skills. And in my opinion, Barack Obama has those in spades (no racial slur intended!)
    Have you ever heard the Chris Rock routine about Colin Powell? 'Speaks so well' doesn't even begin to approach 'smart' in my world. I think he certainly is smart, but he took several dings in my view during the campaign and after his election ('above my pay grade' being the first).
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
  11.    #71  
    I had to go look up the "above my pay grade" remark. It was perhaps an inartful answer but I understand what he was trying to say. And it was in the middle of a high pressure debate. I think we can forgive a mistake like that. You may not like the fact that he was dodging a no-win question about when life begins, but I don't think it reflects poorly on his intelligence.

Now tell me what was going through George W. Bush's mind about OB-GYN's practicing their "love"?
    I cant believe this thread is still going lol, didn't think it was going to last this long with out people flaming each other until a mod need to shut it down lol
    I had to go look up the "above my pay grade" remark. It was perhaps an inartful answer but I understand what he was trying to say.
    What was he trying to say? Other than 'I'm going to decline to answer your question'?
    And it was in the middle of a high pressure debate.
    You should probably go look it up again. It was in a relatively low-pressure Q&A session with Rick Warren.
    I think we can forgive a mistake like that.
    I think his response was definitely better than McCain's, but I don't think it was a mistake at all. You can't honestly tell me that someone running for the Presidency of the United States thinks that such a question is 'above his pay grade'.
    You may not like the fact that he was dodging a no-win question about when life begins, but I don't think it reflects poorly on his intelligence.
    I think it reflects poorly on his perception of _our_ intelligence.
    Now tell me what was going through George W. Bush's mind about OB-GYN's practicing their "love"?
    One can assume that he was referring to their love for practicing medicine and treating patients.
    Quote Originally Posted by d.moss View Post
    everybody who said that they're smarter than obama should run for president. some of you probably don't even have college degrees. not that having a degree makes you a complete brainiac. most people (not all) who dislike obama can't even comprehend his ideas. we all know that the president himself can only do so much.. so i don't know why people scream obama this, obama that when bills are passed or not passed. it's not like he is the sole decision maker. but that aside, obama's campaign spoke of change and active citizenship. and that's exactly what needs to happen. america's/the world's whole system needs a complete overhaul! values and circumstances, hell, life has changed from 1876 til now.. we need more than just ammendments.. obama wanted to spark the thought of change.. cause we as a people need to get out of this old way of thinking. and we as citizens need to be much more active in rallying for that change. no one can look at this world and these governments and honestly say that it doesn't need some major changes.. all obama can do is try to lead that change.. and he is. the fact that people are angry by some of the bills he has proposed is a good thing.. maybe you'll get off of your butts and start being active instead of just complaining about things in forums.. you can make a difference.. change something..
    I am not saying that you are smarted than Obama that is to be debated, but definitely smarter than 99.9% of the Tea Baggers. I am not saying that I support everything that the President does, but I am trying to look at the entire picture. I still think it is to early to determine if he is on track or not.
    Anyone who needs a definition of the word "smarter" probably should answer this poll "no".
    Any one who doesn't comprehend what the poster was asking in "Define Smarter?" definitively doesn't need to be in a forum discussing anything. Did you notice the quotations around the word smarter?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234