View Poll Results: Are you smarter than Barack Obama?

Voters
95. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

31 32.63%
  • No

37 38.95%
  • Not Sure

6 6.32%
  • That's not for me to determine.

21 22.11%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    No and he still sucks!
    Oh c'mon guys, it's so simple, maybe you need a refresher course. It's all ball bearings these days.---Fletch
    he's a great liar he conned many into thinking that he would only cut their taxes . But he didn't tell them it would be a their childrens expence and grand children and great grand children and great great great grand children and great great great grandchildren.......... lol
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    I don't think this poll has much relevance since intelligence is not a criteria for political life. A much more relevant poll would be "Are you smoother than Obama?" To which I'd have to vote no. That cat is smooth!
  4.    #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    Well, I'm smart enough to realize that a self-selected sample size of less than 100 people on the internet isn't exactly going to trend towards accuracy.
    It accurately reflects the people who choose to vote in this poll! The question is, how many of the people who voted "Yes", sincerely believe that? (Recall that a sincere self-evaluation was requested.)

If we can asssume that the "Yes" voters are truly sincere, what does that tell us ?

I'm going to put some hypotheticals out there, and that's all they are but if you voted YES and the shoe fits:

1. You are a lot smarter than I am! You could hold your own in a debate with John McCain or Hillary Clinton. You'd be comfortable stepping into the lion's den of a give-and-take with a roomful of elected representatives from the opposing political party and you wouldn't even break a sweat. You'd have no trouble getting into or graduating from Harvard Law School or teaching Constitutional Law at U of Chicago - but that's not your inclination. You just prefer hanging out at PreCentral.Net because almost 1/3 of the folk here are brilliant like yourself! You own a Pre Plus because you've channeled your superior intellect into a high paying career.

2. You are seriously self-deluded. You long for a Pre Plus, but you're sticking with Sprint because you can't afford Verizon's data plans. Nevertheless, you've convinced yourself that you're one lucky break away from stardom or riches. After all, you're smarter than Barack Obama! Someday, someone, other than your dog, will agree with you on that.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by groovy View Post
    I don't think this poll has much relevance since intelligence is not a criteria for political life. A much more relevant poll would be "Are you smoother than Obama?" To which I'd have to vote no. That cat is smooth!
    Aha! Smooth cat's are symbolic of jazz players, and jazz players are predominately black, so therefore you're a RACIST! *

(* Disclaimer: For illustrative and satirical purposes only. Not an actual accusation of racism. Void where prohibited. California and New Jersey to pay additional State Taxes where applicable.)
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
  6.    #46  
    I don't think this poll has much relevance since intelligence is not a criteria for political life.
    Sarah Palin certainly proves that point!

But as for "relevance", this is nothing more than a silly poll on PreCentral.Net. It's not intended to be relevant to anything other than the attitudes of the people who choose to participate. But given some of the responses posted about how the poll has "made my day", it does seem to have at least some entertainment value!
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandStone View Post
    Sarah Palin certainly proves that point!

But as for "relevance", this is nothing more than a silly poll on PreCentral.Net. It's not intended to be relevant to anything other than the attitudes of the people who choose to participate. But given some of the responses posted about how the poll has "made my day", it does seem to have at least some entertainment value!
    Just like your Sarah Palin jab! Funny!
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
  8.    #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    Aha! Smooth cat's are symbolic of jazz players, and jazz players are predominately black, so therefore you're a RACIST! *

(* Disclaimer: For illustrative and satirical purposes only. Not an actual accusation of racism. Void where prohibited. California and New Jersey to pay additional State Taxes where applicable.)
    Oh man, here we go. Somebody just HAD to play the race card! But now that the black cat's out of the bag so to speak, let's call a spade a spade: are some of those answering "YES" loathe to admit that any black man might be smarter?
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Oh man, here we go. Somebody just HAD to play the race card! But now that the black cat's out of the bag so to speak, let's call a spade a spade: are some of those answering "YES" loathe to admit that any black man might be smarter?
    Thomas Sowell is smarter than me. Happy?
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Thomas Sowell is smarter than me. Happy?
    Alan Keyes is amazing, imho. The guy is awesome. I'd vote for him.

Oh, and Condi Rice is great too.
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Oh, and Condi Rice is great too.
    A woman? Now you're pushing it! Actually, I think it goes without saying that she's not only smarter than both of us but a better pianist and much easier on the eyes (no offense).
  12.    #52  
    I can't tell if Micael is being sarcastic. But thanks for the Thomas Sowell reference, I'd never heard of him until I just looked him up on Wikipedia. "Favors decriminalization of all drugs." Hmmm, I'm not sure that's so smart.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Decriminalization does not mean legal or open. It's smart.
    I can't tell if Micael is being sarcastic. But thanks for the Thomas Sowell reference, I'd never heard of him until I just looked him up on Wikipedia. "Favors decriminalization of all drugs." Hmmm, I'm not sure that's so smart.
    First,
    He said he wasn't serious.

And Second,
    His post relates back to an earlier post in another thread.

Just call me Berd.
  15.    #55  
    No I mean whether he was being sarcastic about ALAN KEYES and CONDI RICE, not about the race card.

Anyway, I have to get back to my job. Unfortunately I am NOT smarter than Barack Obama and have to actually work sometimes so I can afford my family's THREE (ugh) Verizon data plans!
    I answered "That's not for me to determine" because there's is no other honest way to answer the question.

How do you measure "smart"? IQ would be the most consistent, but while I know my own IQ, I have absolutely no idea what his would be, and couldn't even venture a useful guess without getting to know the man, or at a minimum, having a good conversation with him in private and off the record. Also, while I know where my IQ sits in terms of the average IQ, it seems reasonable to assume that the average for a US President would be MUCH higher than the average in the general population, which is an IQ of 100 if you count everyone from the most gifted geniuses down to the severely mentally disabled but not technically a vegetable.

The public appearance of intelligence, and actual intelligence, are two completely separate things. G.W. Bush, by most accounts of those who knew or know him personally agree that he is extremely bright, however his public perception was of a bumbling ***** in a lot of cases because he had some really terrible speech writers, and was bad at sticking to the que cards.

To complicate things further, there are other measurements of "smart" besides a person's IQ. "Street smart" as it were. I've also met people who couldn't remember their own address without looking at their ID, who could count cards at a blackjack table with great success.

Lastly, you have to ask yourself, how important is intelligence in a president? Personally, I don't think it matters much at all, provided that they are at least as intelligent as say, Jimmy Carter. If you're as smart as Jimmy Carter, which is a pretty low standard, you're probably smart enough to be the president. Opinions, values, voting records, and the people who surround a president are much more important to the ultimate performance of the president than whether they have an IQ of 115 or 165.
    Anyway, I have to get back to my job.
    You are not worthy of OT.
    Just call me Berd.
    It accurately reflects the people who choose to vote in this poll!
    You can't even be sure of that.
    The question is, how many of the people who voted "Yes", sincerely believe that? (Recall that a sincere self-evaluation was requested.)
    Yes, but no bounds were placed on selecting a criteria of 'smarter'.
    If we can asssume that the "Yes" voters are truly sincere, what does that tell us ?
    That they think they are smarter than the President based upon their own criteria of what defines smarter.
    I'm going to put some hypotheticals out there, and that's all they are but if you voted YES and the shoe fits:

1. You are a lot smarter than I am!
    That is statistically likely, but not really relevant.
    You could hold your own in a debate with John McCain or Hillary Clinton. You'd be comfortable stepping into the lion's den of a give-and-take with a roomful of elected representatives from the opposing political party and you wouldn't even break a sweat.
    What is it about those that you think requires being 'smart'?
    You'd have no trouble getting into or graduating from Harvard Law School or teaching Constitutional Law at U of Chicago - but that's not your inclination.
    I actually was accepted at Harvard for undergrad, but financially it was not going to happen. I had decided before that point that I wasn't going into law.
    You just prefer hanging out at PreCentral.Net because almost 1/3 of the folk here are brilliant like yourself!
    You keep getting too hung up on the percentages. They're meaningless.
    You own a Pre Plus because you've channeled your superior intellect into a high paying career.
    Non sequitur. I own a Centro. I'm posting from TreoCentral. I've channeled my intellect into a career that I'm suited for and pays me fairly well for the requirements of the position.
    2. You are seriously self-deluded.
    You may be right. OTOH, I'm not the one who posted a poll on a smartphone forum asking people if they were smarter than Barack Obama expecting to get some sort of meaningful or serious result.
    You long for a Pre Plus, but you're sticking with Sprint because you can't afford Verizon's data plans.
    I'm considering a Pre Plus if and when it makes it to AT&T.
    Nevertheless, you've convinced yourself that you're one lucky break away from stardom or riches.
    That wouldn't be very smart.
    After all, you're smarter than Barack Obama! Someday, someone, other than your dog, will agree with you on that.
    I don't own a dog. My ferrets certainly like me, though.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    How do you measure "smart"?
    In this case, it was completely left up to the respondents to determine that.
    Also, while I know where my IQ sits in terms of the average IQ, it seems reasonable to assume that the average for a US President would be MUCH higher than the average in the general population, which is an IQ of 100 if you count everyone from the most gifted geniuses down to the severely mentally disabled but not technically a vegetable.
    I'm not sure that follows. Generally the average is expressed more as a range (i.e. 90-109) which covers roughly half the population. Another 10 points in either direction bring in roughly 85% of the population. Of course, that's not even taking into account that, being a quotient, what makes a 100 score could vary.
    Lastly, you have to ask yourself, how important is intelligence in a president?
    In the grand scheme of things, I don't think it's important. While I'd not vote for a complete *****, the requirements of the Presidency really don't necessitate they be a genius. AAMOF, being a genius would probably be a liability in such a role in the current age.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    I'm not sure that follows. Generally the average is expressed more as a range (i.e. 90-109) which covers roughly half the population. Another 10 points in either direction bring in roughly 85% of the population. Of course, that's not even taking into account that, being a quotient, what makes a 100 score could vary.

Actually, it follows quite nicely. What you are describing is not an average. IQ scores, like most statistical systems in the universe, follow a bell curve. The mean average, is defined as the value of the peak of that bell curve. (Okay, technically it's defined as the quotient of the sum of all values over the count of said values but the result is, in fact, sitting at the peak of the bell curve)

In terms of IQ, the peak of the bell curve is 100(+/- statistical variation)

By counting the area around the peak of the bell curve, you can describe trends and rarity, which is what you have already done quite nicely. In this particular case, roughly half the population falls between 90 and 109, while 85% fits under the bell curve between 80 and 119. Carry it a step further to include everyone between 135 (extremely gifted, but short of genius) and 65 (severely mentally disabled but still able to communicate more or less normally) and you will cover well over 98% of the population.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast