Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Payne View Post
    1,982,068.12 have had there lives saved.
    To be fair, there's a big difference between "health problems" and risk of death. As I recall, according to Guttmacher, the number of abortions done because of a risk of death of the mother is exceedingly low.
    Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    #1. Fine. I totally agree. It should be on a case-by-case basis. At least it finally appears that we can conclude that you are not 100% opposed to the concept, which was all I was trying to find out. Would have been much easier if you had just said that from the beginning instead of hiding behind numbers and the fact that it can't happen to you.
    #2. Condescending and demeaning would be an appropriate description of your posts concerning the behavior of, and ability of women to make their own decisions without criticism and insults from a paternalistic extremist.
    1. Ya we agree on something. Sorry I wasn't able to answer to your standards.
    2. And here I thought you were just the champion of medical care. I was commenting on specific cases, not generalizing. Put down the big brush ok.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    Quote Originally Posted by groovy View Post
    To be fair, there's a big difference between "health problems" and risk of death. As I recall, according to Guttmacher, the number of abortions done because of a risk of death of the mother is exceedingly low.
    D'oh your right I'll change that right now to be correct
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
    Mother's Health 4%

I noticed that 'leap' also.

The leap from Mother's Health to 'lives saved'.
    Just another attempt to twist what is actually happening here - millions upon millions of innocent lives taken. And the overwhelming majority for nothing more than one might have to buck up to personal responsibility.
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    Mother's Health 4%

I noticed that 'leap' also.

The leap from Mother's Health to 'lives saved'.
    Just another attempt to twist what is actually happening here - millions upon millions of innocent lives taken. And the overwhelming majority for nothing more than one might have to buck up to personal responsibility.
    I think in Major Payne's case, this was an honest mistake but you raise a good point. Abortion-rights apologists tend to pump the two in together in order to inflate the numbers. Then they go back and forth depending on which definition makes their point best.
    If you are against abortions you should be preserving as much of your sperm as possible. Both can be a person under a very specific set of circumstances involving them essentially being a parasite for 9 months.
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NathanS View Post
    If you are against abortions you should be preserving as much of your sperm as possible. Both can be a person under a very specific set of circumstances involving them essentially being a parasite for 9 months.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression sperm alone can be nothing but sperm.
    Quote Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
    He's giving you his opinion and allowing you to take your business to another doctor if you disagree. If he's not the only urologist in the area, why is that a problem?
    From what I've heard on TV (admittedly unreliable sources!), he practices in a predominantly Democratic neighborhood with a Democratic Congressman who has many black constituents. So a sign on the door saying "If you voted for Obama go elsewhere" (I think that's the gist of it.) Is tantamount to saying if you're black you should probably go somewhere else.
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    My questions... where's the .12 life that was saved?
    U of Chicago Economist Steven Levitt writes that legalizing abortion cuts the murder rate by 50%. So if you're "Pro-Life" you might want to think about that.
    Last edited by RolandStone; 04/06/2010 at 11:34 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by NathanS View Post
    Analysis:

If you are against abortions you should be preserving as much of your sperm as possible.
    Interesting statement. Is it the posters opinion?
    Both can be a person under a very specific set of circumstances involving them essentially being a parasite for 9 months
    Both what can be a person? The first sentence mentioned sperm and abortions. Are we to surmise that either can be a person? An abortion is an act, a medical procedure. Is it possible to be a person? I'm no medical professional but I can read a biology book and a dictionary. My answer would be no.
    Sperm. Is it possible for sperm to be a person? Again no. it is biologically impossible for sperm to become a person. Yes it has the potential to fertilize and egg and become a person as part of a team effort if you will, but alone it is just sperm.

So what is the point of this post? Taking these two statements independently because they dont seem to be related other than being in the same post, I would deduce that the poster has little or no knowledge of reproductive biology, but thinks long term sperm storage has merit.

If I have missed the point please try to be more comprehensive and factual in your next attempt.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandStone View Post
    From what I've heard on TV (admittedly unreliable sources!), he practices in a predominantly Democratic neighborhood with a Democratic Congressman who has many black constituents. So a sign on the door saying "If you voted for Obama go elsewhere" (I think that's the gist of it.) Is tantamount to saying if you're black you should probably go somewhere else.
    Great logic there Sherlock. Do all the cards in your deck say "Race" on them.
    God the race baiting bs is so old. Can't you guys come up with something new?
    Maybe the guy doesnt like Obama's health care law.

Let me ask you, if you dont like Marvin Gaye's* music are you a racist? Using your logic above that seems to be the case. Or does that logic just apply to Obama?

*feel free to substitute any black artist if you don't get the Marvin Gaye reference.
    — Ed Howdershelt
    U of Chicago Economist Stephen Leavitt writes that legalizing abortion cuts the murder rate by 50%. So if you're "Pro-Life" you might want to think about that.
    Edgar Rice Burroughs wrote that there were 4 armed green men on Mars. Doesn't make it fact.
    — Ed Howdershelt
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof View Post
    Edgar Rice Burroughs wrote that there were 4 armed green men on Mars. Doesn't make it fact.
    Did Edgar Rice Burroughs have a tenured chair at the nation's #1 school of astronomy?
    Great logic there Sherlock. Do all the cards in your deck say "Race" on them.
    God the race baiting bs is so old. Can't you guys come up with something new?
    Maybe the guy doesnt like Obama's health care law.

Let me ask you, if you dont like Marvin Gaye's* music are you a racist? Using your logic above that seems to be the case. Or does that logic just apply to Obama?

*feel free to substitute any black artist if you don't get the Marvin Gaye reference.
    Frankly I don't get ANY of your "logic". And I qualified my statement with "from what I've heard on TV". It was the (white) Democratic Congressman from the Doctor's district in Florida making those observations. I don't know if they're true or not.

But I'm old enough to remember signs on the door saying "Coloreds Not Welcome". In 2010 nobody is bold enough to come right out and say that anymore but that doesn't mean the sentiment has vanished.
    Frankly I don't get ANY of your "logic". And I qualified my statement with "from what I've heard on TV". It was the (white) Democratic Congressman from the Doctor's district in Florida making those observations. I don't know if they're true or not.

But I'm old enough to remember signs on the door saying "Coloreds Not Welcome". In 2010 nobody is bold enough to come right out and say that anymore but that doesn't mean the sentiment has vanished.
    Frankly I am not surprised.
    So a sign on the door saying "If you voted for Obama go elsewhere" (I think that's the gist of it.) Is tantamount to saying if you're black you should probably go somewhere else.
    So was this line from your post yours or was it from tv?
    — Ed Howdershelt
    Did Edgar Rice Burroughs have a tenured chair at the nation's #1 school of astronomy?
    Don't know. Doubt it. Just a writer as far as I know.
    Does Stephen Leavitt? What makes him an expert on abortion and murder?
    — Ed Howdershelt
    First he plays the race card and for an encore he follows up with the fallacy of the argument from authority. How do you do it?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_authority?wasRedirected=true
    Don't know. Doubt it. Just a writer as far as I know.
    Does Stephen Leavitt? What makes him an expert on abortion and murder?
    I only care about what Dave Barry thinks since he's a Pulitzer Prize winning journalist.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Frankly I am not surprised.
    So was this line from your post yours or was it from tv?
    That was the Democratic Congressman's observation. Now that I think back, it was the Anderson Cooper show from a night or two ago and the Doctor was also interviewed.
    Quote Originally Posted by foosball View Post
    First he plays the race card and for an encore he follows up with the fallacy of the argument from authority. How do you do it?

Argument from authority
    "The fallacy only arises when it is claimed or implied that the authority is infallible in principle and can hence be exempted from criticism."

Did I claim he was infallible? Otherwise there's no fallacy in citing authority. But I guess in your world, being a tenured chaired professor at the nation's #1 School of Economics lends no weight whatsoever to his opinions. After all that school is in CHICAGO and we all know what that means! (Rev Wright, Barack Obama, Rahm Emmanuel, Bill Ayers!)
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast