Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Wah wah wah, people need to stop complaining and throwing fits. If you don't like what he's doing, go to a different doctor. Problem solved. He even said he will not refuse service, but if people read the sign and turn the other way so be it.
    Quote Originally Posted by sweaner View Post
    No, he is not required to treat anyone who comes to him. He is under no obligation to enter into a Doctor/patient relationship if he doesn't want to.

He has likely done more for the health of our nation than the entire Congress.
    In an interview, Cassell insisted he would not refuse to treat a patient because of politics. "That would be unethical," he said.
    By his own admission. And "required to" can be a self imposed obligation if one is committing ones self to an ethical standard.
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas View Post
    By his own admission. And "required to" can be a self imposed obligation if one is committing ones self to an ethical standard.
    State laws vary, but across the board, the only time a MD can be found "guilty" of withholding care is if he/she fails to respond in an emergent situation that they are "trained" to compentently respond to.

He is not "ethically" obligated to care for anyone in a non-emergent situation & can not be charged as such. Contractually, he may be "obligated" to render service to individuals based on his insurance relationships but otherwise, nope, no foul b/c of his sign!

I'm not going to debate the whole healthcare issue, but as a healthcare professional for almost 20 years, the only thing I have to say is hold on to your bootstraps, everyone is in for a bumpy ride.
    Now this is freedumb!

:flag:
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    I only wish he was in my area. I'd give him all my business and refer anyone I knew to him. WAY TO GO!!!!
    What a "female hygiene item", thats all i can say about this a hole
    Last edited by Iroc371; 04/03/2010 at 10:25 PM. Reason: i guess you cant say ****** here, sorry
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas View Post
    I wish he cared more for the health of the Nation and less of his petty political leanings.
    I'm so effing sick of this "progressive" accusation... basically the same thing as when you guys say that those who oppose welfare programs don't care about poor people.

Have you ever considered looking into the actual reason why healthcare is so expensive and inaccessible? Of course it could have nothing to do with the fact that it is one of the most highly regulated industries in America...

Do yourself a favor and learn some basic economics.
    Here is a good start: Economics in One Lesson
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    Sadly, I have insurance and I fully remember my parents paying the doctor the same amount I pay as a 'co-pay' with them having no insurance on me at the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by mdmogren View Post

Have you ever considered looking into the actual reason why healthcare is so expensive and inaccessible? Of course it could have nothing to do with the fact that it is one of the most highly regulated industries in America...
    Yes, after all, deregulation sure helped the banking system. Let's make health care even more about making money off people being sick.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Love this Doctor... To all you Libs, who will soon be sore losers in November when the Health Care bill is defunded and killed, this is America and everyone has the right dislike anyone they want. The Constitution does not address anyone who hates someone because of their color, belief, religon, nationality or political view. There is nothing stating I, or anyone else for that matter has to tolerate anyone else for any reason. If I want to dislike you solely because of your voting preference, I can. Wake up idiots, politically correct is dead and the "Can't we all just get along" crap is not going to fly after Obama the Divider...The battle lines were drawn and the war is on...
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    PS You think Health Care is expensive now, wait until it's free.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    Yes, after all, deregulation sure helped the banking system. Let's make health care even more about making money off people being sick.
    Yeah & your auto mechanic makes money off of your car being "sick" doesn't he?

And grocery stores make money off your hunger, don't they?

Educate yourself like the man said. At least have the courtesy to take a look at the post and link without some knee-jerk reaction.

"It is wiser to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt"
    Last edited by foosball; 04/04/2010 at 09:54 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by sweaner View Post
    No, he is not required to treat anyone who comes to him. He is under no obligation to enter into a Doctor/patient relationship if he doesn't want to.

He has likely done more for the health of our nation than the entire Congress.

Since as I recall you are some kind of doctor, you should know better than that although admittedly it depends on the State Board of Medicine in his state, and upon the guidelines for his practice, which do have something to do with obtaining federal funding...and private funding. As a urologist, I'd be willling to bet a bundle he won't discontinue his Medicare practice in Florida, for all the gum-beating he might do about "government takeover". In most settings, he cannot refuse to see someone he is providing ongoing care to without specific requirements, including a time period and sending a certified letter to the individual. And I'd be willing to bet that it's not just Medicare, but most of his contractual agreements with insurers that will have the same requirement. See, insurers like their clients to be happy, because they make a lot of money off them.

And since you seem to be so opposed to providing care for the population, I'd be glad to open up a discussion about the association between practice locations and philosophy about universal health care. Maybe we can get MDMogren involved. Let's have at it. If there's anything I enjoy, it's a socio-political discussion with a right-wing doctor.
    Last edited by davidra; 04/04/2010 at 03:48 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmatlosz View Post
    Love this Doctor... To all you Libs, who will soon be sore losers in November when the Health Care bill is defunded and killed, this is America and everyone has the right dislike anyone they want. The Constitution does not address anyone who hates someone because of their color, belief, religon, nationality or political view. There is nothing stating I, or anyone else for that matter has to tolerate anyone else for any reason. If I want to dislike you solely because of your voting preference, I can. Wake up idiots, politically correct is dead and the "Can't we all just get along" crap is not going to fly after Obama the Divider...The battle lines were drawn and the war is on...

Nice. Please do your best to remember. The president was elected in an absolutely fair, unbiased election by a significant majority of the population. You don't have to like him, or even respect him, but this "war is on" ****e is pathetic. Reagan never would have stood for this kind of toddler-like behavior. You're right, you get to hate anyone you want for any reason. Have you shaved your head yet? Any swastika tattoos? Nobody can make you into a thoughtful caring human being except for yourself, and it looks like that won't happen. Really, your attitude is disgusting.
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zelgo View Post
    Strip his ability to take government insurance and see how quickly he turns his opinion around.
    Thank you for encapsulating much of the problem with single-payer health care so succinctly.
    Quote Originally Posted by groovy View Post
    Thank you for encapsulating much of the problem with single-payer health care so succinctly.
    Which simply implies that you think any doctor should be able to refuse to see any patient, even if they are in the middle of providing care. Is that really how you feel? I have no problem with payors setting guidelines and requirements for the physicians to get paid....after all private insurers do it all the time.
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    Which simply implies that you think any doctor should be able to refuse to see any patient, even if they are in the middle of providing care. Is that really how you feel? I have no problem with payors setting guidelines and requirements for the physicians to get paid....after all private insurers do it all the time.
    I don't think that's what I said or implied. Since you mention it, are doctors required to accept every third-party plan?
    as an independent w/ some republican leanings in certain areas (towards democrats in other areas), still on the fence on this healthcare overhaul...I do deal with many patients having issues related to non-coverage of so-called pre-existing conditions (and it DOES impede in delivering the best/standard of care if they cannot afford the studies/treatments on their own)...any bills will have pros and cons, let's just hope the benefits of this one will outweigh the negatives...and no, physicians cannot just refuse treatment to a patient they are already taking care of (that would be "abandonment = illegal"), they would need to make sure that patient's care is transferred to someone else before washing their hands clean off their case (I don't think this guy was planning on doing that anyway)...now catholic hospitals refusing care to patients needing life-saving abortions (when the mom's life is at stake) is a hot potato i'm not going to touch
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmPreNyuBi View Post
    as an independent w/ some republican leanings in certain areas (towards democrats in other areas), still on the fence on this healthcare overhaul...I do deal with many patients having issues related to non-coverage of so-called pre-existing conditions (and it DOES impede in delivering the best/standard of care if they cannot afford the studies/treatments on their own)...any bills will have pros and cons, let's just hope the benefits of this one will outweigh the negatives...and no, physicians cannot just refuse treatment to a patient they are already taking care of (that would be "abandonment = illegal"), they would need to make sure that patient's care is transferred to someone else before washing their hands clean off their case (I don't think this guy was planning on doing that anyway)...now catholic hospitals refusing care to patients needing life-saving abortions (when the mom's life is at stake) is a hot potato i'm not going to touch
    And since this is a common occurrence it deserves that much more attention. In fact our local paper has at least a dozen such stories in the last few days.

If live-saving abortion isn't an oxymoron, what is?
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    Quote Originally Posted by groovy View Post
    I don't think that's what I said or implied. Since you mention it, are doctors required to accept every third-party plan?
    Of course not. Only if they want to see their patients. Somehow, though, in areas where there are several major employers who sign on with one insurer, most doctors are willing to toe the line. See, it's not just the government that does it. HMO's and health plans have "bills of patient rights"...and I'd bet this guy has just violated some of them. Seems to me that if you're going to show the world what a jerk you are, at least stand by what you write; he doesn't even have the cojones to do that....because he can't.
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast