1.    #1  
    Please, no flames, I am just the 'messenger':

http://www.forbes.com/2001/06/08/0608palm.html

I think that it's unlikely to happen. Though I can see where Handspring would win (Palm OS) and Palm win (Handspring's hardware). But, I don't think it'll happen.

Anyone else have an opinion? (geez, what's this can of worms doing, here? )
    I agree with Forbes. (Last time I suggested this, I got less than enthusiastic comments!) The split of the two companies did some great things for a while- but now both are struggling.

I think they should basically team up against Sony and PocketPC. Clean up the product line, make a real discission about Springboard and/or a memory standard, and buckle down for a real fight.

My wish list for a new product line would be:

1. Standardized the hot sync connector so one style of cradle, keyboard, travel cables, etc. would fit the entire product line. Upgrade devices without obsoleting your accessories. (An adaptor fitting might be OK if there is a major improvement in the design of the port).

2. Keep DateBook+, City Time, the enhanced calculator, etc. in the new line. Add a good pre-packaged bundle for an added value.

3. Flash ROM for upgradeablility and customization.

4. A standardized memory type- SmartMedia, Compact Flash, or MMC/SD throughout the entire line OR a renewed committment to the SpringBoard and possibly include a memory unit with each device- allowing the customer to select thier own memory style.

5. Keep Grafitti as the default, but give us good 'from the factory' alternatives- thumbboards, optimized on-screen keyboards, keyboard/cases, etc.- whatever.

6. Remember the Linux and Mac users (if only to get them to shut up! ;-) )- and keep the default cradle USB (maybe include a USB-serial adaptor for older computer users)

7. While pursuing wireless and so on, always remember that there are a lot of users who just want a simple, easy to use PDA that they can buy, use, and not think too much about, that is also CHEAP! (This would include people like my wife.)
    Do what you can, with what you have, where you are at!
    I don't know that it would happen since Jeff and Donna split from Palm to form Handspring. I don't know how amiacable that split was and if Palm would want to have them back or even if they would be willing to go back to Palm.
    What the Heck! It's what I want!
    From what I can recall, the split was largely to out from 3COM's control, which Palm itself has done.

As far as personalities and inter-company rivalries... well... so what? There may be some bad blood, but both companies are in enough trouble, or probably soon will be that this is probably not their biggest concern.

This is speaking from a 'big picture' view. On the 'day to day' level, this may be a major issue on one or both sides. The lives and fortunes of smaller companies are often at the mercies of the key people involved.
    Originally posted by visor empowered
    I don't know that it would happen since Jeff and Donna split from Palm to form Handspring. I don't know how amiacable that split was and if Palm would want to have them back or even if they would be willing to go back to Palm.
    I doubt that Palm would want them back. Benhamou is the one who let them walk away the first time, so I can't see why he'd want them to come back. He's even made comments to the effect that the people who were right to start the handheld revolution weren't necessarily the right people to carry it to the next level. I'm not sure I'd say there's bad blood, but I can't see Benhamou being eager to try to reintegrate Handspring after they basically gutted a lot of talent from Palm (nearly all of the original team that made the Pilot is with Handspring). Quite honestly, I think that getting back the _engineering_ talent (people like Rob Haitani) that Handspring 'took' from Palm would be more beneficial to Palm's future than getting Jeff and Donna back.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Palm reallyh suck. Why should Handspring merge back with them? I think it would be better for Handspring to be acquired for an innovative company with fresh ideas -- say Apple.
    Originally posted by yardie
    Palm reallyh suck. Why should Handspring merge back with them? I think it would be better for Handspring to be acquired for an innovative company with fresh ideas -- say Apple.
    Now there's a company that could increase their marketshare.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Originally posted by Toby
    I doubt that Palm would want them back. Benhamou is the one who let them walk away the first time, so I can't see why he'd want them to come back. He's even made comments to the effect that the people who were right to start the handheld revolution weren't necessarily the right people to carry it to the next level.
    This is just common sense- only rarely do people with strong innovation skills also have the skills needed ot run a company (hence Donna's role). It is also very common for others to build on the original innovation to take things to the next level.

A few things to consider:

Benhamou's comment about taking it to the next level... who HAS done this? The Treo and Sony- not Palm. They NEED some innovation to get things going again. If the 'next level person' isn't Jeff, it is probably some of the talent at Handspring. it is not really a question of 'wanting them back' as much as NEEDING something new and innovative.

Would Jeff be interested in going back? I dunno. He seems very interested in how the brain works and other things. He might be perfectly happy with a buy-out and a consultancy.

Donna? I dunno about her either- if she would/could go back and what her role might be.

Could a newly merged Palm/Handspring compete against Sony/Microsoft? I dunno, but I'd bet they could do a better job than either company is doing now!

Apple? Naw- that does not give them the synergy they need. Palm and Handspring are using about the same components, about the same manufacturing techniques (even, I believe, some of the same factories), have about the same demographics and market niche, and have very similar visions.

Palm has the name recognition and the OS, and Handspring has the hardware and innovation. Ignoring the people (which is never safe to do), a re-merger seems perfectly logical to me!
    Originally posted by Madkins007
    This is just common sense-
    Yeah, but that's a new thing at Palm in recent memory.
    [...] Benhamou's comment about taking it to the next level... who HAS done this?
    No one yet. That's the reason for his comments. Evidently he perceives himself and his current team as the ones that are going to do it.
    The Treo and Sony- not Palm. They NEED some innovation to get things going again. If the 'next level person' isn't Jeff, it is probably some of the talent at Handspring. it is not really a question of 'wanting them back' as much as NEEDING something new and innovative.
    I think if they merged with Handspring, they should keep the engineers, and dump the rest. Personally, I think the Treo isn't that innovative. It's a bit more mature than some previous hybrids, but that's expected when you can watch the mistakes of others. Sony, I'll mention in a sec.
    Would Jeff be interested in going back? I dunno. He seems very interested in how the brain works and other things. He might be perfectly happy with a buy-out and a consultancy.
    I think a buy-out would do.
    Donna? I dunno about her either- if she would/could go back and what her role might be.
    There would be no role for her. Palm already has a CEO, and she really hasn't done well enough at Handspring to justify an oust from what I can see.
    Could a newly merged Palm/Handspring compete against Sony/Microsoft? I dunno, but I'd bet they could do a better job than either company is doing now!
    Actually, current trends seem to point to Sony and Palm being really tight in collaborating on the future of Palm (at least on the OS side). I wouldn't be surprised if Sony was that mystery investor who provided Palm with a $50 million injection a while back.
    [...] Palm has the name recognition and the OS, and Handspring has the hardware and innovation. Ignoring the people (which is never safe to do), a re-merger seems perfectly logical to me!
    That's the catch, though. One can't ignore the people. I'm sure that there are quite a few egos that would be reluctant to let it happen.
    I much as I hate to say it, I think it is inevitable that Palm and Handspring will merge within about 2 - 3 years. Neither company can live on their own and neither company can live on PDAs alone.
  11. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Originally posted by Toby
    Palm already has a CEO, and she really hasn't done well enough at Handspring to justify an oust from what I can see.
    Maybe not, but Benhamou is the interim CEO--a merger might be the right opportunity for someone new to take the helm.

If this actually happened, of course, which is not that likely.
    Originally posted by Q
    Maybe not, but Benhamou is the interim CEO--
    So was Steve Jobs. Who's CEO of Apple right now?
    a merger might be the right opportunity for someone new to take the helm.
    I don't think there's any chance of Benhamou giving up the spot to Dubinsky.
    If this actually happened, of course, which is not that likely.
    I think it could happen. I just think that one of the management teams would have to disappear to make it happen. Handspring's is the more likely. Palm can say they're in a bad spot because of Yankoffski. Who can Handspring blame for their poor management?
    Obviously, most of us are basically wishing/thinking out loud here, but I seriously think that both Palm and Handspring are in enough trouble right now that a merger may be the best, sanest, and most logical step next step- unless one of the companies has something really incredible under wraps waiting to be revealled.

The Treo may not be a 'next level' device, but it is a step forward and is looking like it MAY actually sell, although I would be that it does not perform anywhere near like Handspring hopes/needs!

It would not surprise me if Sony was behind the cash infusion, but then they have a lot to gain from keeping the OS alive and growing. I can't really see that it would benefit Sony to buy the entire Palm operation- although if I were Sony, I might buy PalmSource to protect the OS if it looked like they were in trouble.

Toby- it sorta sounds like we are on about the same side of this? A merger could be a good (and may be a needed) thing, but is unlikely with the personalities currently involved? Gee- if so, I may have to change my ideas- it is sorta fun debating you! ;-)
    Originally posted by Madkins007
    [...] Toby- it sorta sounds like we are on about the same side of this? A merger could be a good (and may be a needed) thing, but is unlikely with the personalities currently involved?
    Yep, and I agree with the stuff I snipped in this post as well.
    Gee- if so, I may have to change my ideas- it is sorta fun debating you! ;-)
    lol...well, I'm sure it'll happen again sooner or later.