1.    #1  
    I'm curious who gets edited out???

Mao Ze-Dong (China, 1958-61 and 1966-69, Tibet 1949-50) 49-78,000,000
    Jozef Stalin (USSR, 1932-39) 23,000,000 (the purges plus Ukraine's famine)
    Adolf ****** (Germany, 1939-1945) 12,000,000 (concentration camps and civilians WWII)
    Leopold II of Belgium (Congo, 1886-1908) 8,000,000
    Hideki Tojo (Japan, 1941-44) 5,000,000 (civilians in WWII)
    Ismail Enver (Turkey, 1915-20) 1,200,000 Armenians (1915) + 350,000 Greek Pontians and 480,000 Anatolian Greeks (1916-22) + 500,000 Assyrians (1915-20)
    Pol Pot (Cambodia, 1975-79) 1,700,000
    Kim Il Sung (North Korea, 1948-94) 1.6 million (purges and concentration camps)
    Menghistu (Ethiopia, 1975-78) 1,500,000
    Yakubu Gowon (Biafra, 1967-1970) 1,000,000
    Leonid Brezhnev (Afghanistan, 1979-1982) 900,000
    Jean Kambanda (Rwanda, 1994) 800,000
    Suharto (East Timor, West Papua, Communists, 1966-98) 800,000
    Saddam Hussein (Iran 1980-1990 and Kurdistan 1987-88) 600,000
    Tito (Yugoslavia, 1945-1987) 570,000
    Fumimaro Konoe (Japan, 1937-39) 500,000? (Chinese civilians)
    Jonas Savimbi (Angola, 1975-2002) 400,000
    Mullah Omar - Taliban (Afghanistan, 1986-2001) 400,000
    Idi Amin (Uganda, 1969-1979) 300,000
    Yahya Khan (Pakistan, 1970-71) 300,000 (Bangladesh)
    Benito Mussolini (Ethiopia, 1936; Libya, 1934-45; Yugoslavia, WWII) 300,000
    Mobutu Sese Seko (Zaire, 1965-97) ?
    Charles Taylor (Liberia, 1989-1996) 220,000
    Foday Sankoh (Sierra Leone, 1991-2000) 200,000
    Michel Micombero (Burundi, 1972) 150,000
    Slobodan Milosevic (Yugoslavia, 1992-99) 100,000
    Hassan Turabi (Sudan, 1989-1999) 100,000
    Jean-Bedel Bokassa (Centrafrica, 1966-79) ?
    Richard Nixon (Vietnam, 1969-1974) 70,000 (vietnamese civilians)
    Efrain Rios Montt (Guatemala, 1982-83) 70,000
    Papa Doc Duvalier (Haiti, 1957-71) 60,000
    Hissene Habre (Chad, 1982-1990) 40,000
    Chiang Kai-shek (Taiwan, 1947) 30,000 (popular uprising)
    Vladimir Ilich Lenin (USSR, 1917-20) 30,000 (dissidents executed)
    Francisco Franco (Spain) 30,000 (dissidents executed after the civil war)
    Fidel Castro (Cuba, 1959-1999) 30,000
    Lyndon Johnson (Vietnam, 1963-1968) 30,000
    Hafez Al-Assad (Syria, 1980-2000) 25,000
    Khomeini (Iran, 1979-89) 20,000
    Robert Mugabe (Zimbabwe, 1982-87, Ndebele minority) 20,000
    Rafael Videla (Argentina, 1976-83) 13,000
    Guy Mollet (France, 1956-1957) 10,000 (war in Algeria)
    Harold McMillans (Britain, 1952-56, Kenya's Mau-Mau rebellion) 10,000
    Paul Koroma (Sierra Leone, 1997) 6,000
    Osama Bin Laden (worldwide, 1993-2001) 3,500
    Augusto Pinochet (Chile, 1973) 3,000
    Al Zarqawi (Iraq, 2004-06) 2,000

The worst genocides of the 20th Century

I notice that the civilian deaths have been left out of "The war on terror". Otherwise we would probably see Bush way up there, and I'm sure Obama has already passed Osama's 3,500 civilian deaths by now.
    Phones in Family pre> pre> pre> Centro> Rant
  2.    #2  
    All of these genocides and only Adolf gets edited out? Can a moderator please pm me with a reason? I'm just curious why one of the most important people in history is edited out of this site, but not our history books?

By the way, Im not trying to bait or incite anyone. Adolf was murdering scum....but he is an important part of history. I am legitamitely curious.
    Last edited by notaphonegeek; 03/29/2010 at 11:38 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by notaphonegeek View Post
    All of these genocides and only Adolf gets edited out? Can a moderator please pm me with a reason? I'm just curious why one of the most important people in history is edited out of this site, but not our history books?
    I plan on trying to start a new civil thread on this very topic of words censored.

The last few times the thread got outta control.
    I was accused that the words were offensive to me was why I shut it down, but it was the level of immaturity that went over board.
    The accusation that was made was because of not knowing all the facts. There were way over the top, totally inappropriate posts that I ended up deleting.

But because this question of words being censored has came up numerous times, I'm going to attempt yet another time to discuss this concern.

Some years back the words H i t l e r and N a z i and J e w were words that were being thrown around as personal attacks especially in OT.
    Because we're firstly a Tech forum, the words censored have very little need in a tech forum.

I'll go start this thread to discuss this now.
    Just call me Berd.
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    Bush didn't decide to go to war all by himself. The entire congress approved it. Democrats and Republicans.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by jewel View Post
    Bush didn't decide to go to war all by himself. The entire congress approved it. Democrats and Republicans.
    Not the entire congress, but yes a majority.

In the Senate, the 21 Democrats, one Republican and one Independent who courageously voted their consciences in 2002 against the War in Iraq were:

* Daniel Akaka (D-Hawaii)
    * Jeff Bingaman (D-New Mexico)
    * Barbara Boxer (D-California)
    * Robert Byrd (D-West Virginia)
    * Lincoln Chaffee (R-Rhode Island)
    * Kent Conrad (D-North Dakota)
    * Jon Corzine (D-New Jersey)
    * Mark Dayton (D-Minnesota)
    * **** Durbin (D-Illinois)
    * Russ Feingold (D-Wisconsin)
    * Bob Graham (D-Florida)
    * Daniel Inouye (D-Hawaii)
    * Jim Jeffords (I-Vermont)
    * Ted Kennedy (D-Massachusetts)
    * Patrick Leahy (D-Vermont)
    * Carl Levin (D-Michigan)
    * Barbara Mikulski (D-Maryland)
    * Patty Murray (D-Washington)
    * Jack Reed (D-Rhode Island)
    * Paul Sarbanes (D-Maryland)
    * Debbie Stabenow (D-Michigan)
    * The late Paul Wellstone (D-Minnesota)
    * Ron Wyden (D-Oregon)

UNITED STATES HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES

Six House Republicans and one independent joined 126 Democratic members of the House of Re[resentatives in voting NAY, on October 11, 2002, to the unprovoked use of force against Iraq:

Neil Abercrombie (D-Hawaii) Tom Allen (D-Maine) Joe Baca (D-California) Brian Baird (D-Washington) John Baldacci (D-Maine, now governor of Maine) Tammy Baldwin (D-Wisconsin) Gresham Barrett (R-South Carolina) Xavier Becerra (D-California) Earl Blumenauer (D-Oregon) David Bonior (D-Michigan, retired from office) Robert Brady (D-Pennsylvania) Corinne Brown (D-Florida) Sherrod Brown (D-Ohio)

Lois Capps (D-California) Michael Capuano (D-Massachusetts) Benjamin Cardin (D-Maryland) Julia Carson (D-Indiana) William Clay, Jr. (D-Missouri) Eva Clayton (D-North Carolina, retired from office) James Clyburn (D-South Carolina) Gary Condit (D-California, retired from office) John Conyers, Jr. (D-Michigan) Jerry Costello (D-Illinois) William Coyne (D-Pennsylvania, retired from office) Elijah Cummings (D-Maryland)

Susan Davis (D-California) Danny Davis (D-Illinois) Peter DeFazio (D-Oregon) Diana DeGette (D-Colorado) Bill Delahunt (D-Massachusetts) Rosa DeLauro (D-Connecticut) John Dingell (D-Michigan) Lloyd Doggett (D-Texas) Mike Doyle (D-Pennsylvania) John Duncan, Jr. (R-Tennessee)

Anna Eshoo (D-California) Lane Evans (D-Illinois) Sam Farr (D-California) Chaka Fattah (D-Pennsylvania) Bob Filner (D-California) Barney Frank (D-Massachusetts) Charles Gonzalez (D-Texas) Luis Gutierrez (D-Illinois)
    Alice Hastings (D-Florida) Earl Hilliard (D-Alabama, retired from office) Maurice Hinchey (D-New York) Ruben Hinojosa (D-Texas) Rush Holt (D-New Jersey) Mike Honda (D-California) Darlene Hooley (D-Oregon) John Hostettler (R-Indiana) Amo Houghton (R-New York, retired from office) Jay Inslee (D-Washington)
    Continued list of 133 members of the US House of Representatives who voted, on October 11, 2002, against the unprovoked use of force against Iraq
    -------------------------

Jesse Jackson, Jr. (D-Illinois) Sheila Jackson-Lee (D-Texas) Eddie Bernice Johnson (D-Texas) Stephanie Tubbs Jones (D-Ohio) Marcy Kaptur (D-Ohio) Dale Kildee (D-Michigan) Carolyn Cheeks Kilpatrick (D-Michigan) Jerry Kleczka (D-Wisconsin, retired from office) Dennis Kucinich (D-Ohio)

John LaFalce (D-New York) James Langevin (D-Rhode Island) Rick Larsen (D-Washington) John Larson (D-Connecticut) Jim Leach (R-Iowa) Barbara Lee (D-California) Sandy Levin (D-Michigan) John Lewis (D-Georgia) Bill Lipinski (D-Illinois,retired from office) Zoe Lofgren (D-California)

James Maloney (D-Connecticut, retired from office) The late Robert Matsui (D-California) Karen McCarthy (D-Missouri, retired from office) Betty McCollum (D-Minnesota) Jim McDermott-D-Washington) Jim McGovern (D-Massachusetts) Cynthia McKinney (D-Georgia) Carrie Meek (D-Florida, retired from office) Gregory Meeks (D-New York) Robert Menendez (D-New Jersey) Juanita Millender-McDonald (D-California) George Miller (D-California) Alan Mollohan (D-West Virginia) Jim Moran (D-Virginia) Connie Morella (D-Maryland)

Jerrold Nadler (D-New York) Grace Napolitano (D-California) Richard Neal (D-Massachusetts) Jim Oberstar (D-Minnesota) David Obey (D-Wisconsin) John Olver (D-Massachusetts) Major Owens (D-New York)
    Frank Pallone, Jr. (D-New Jersey) Ed Pastor (D-Arizona) Ron Paul (R-Texas) Donald Payne (D-New Jersey) Nancy Pelosi (D-California) David Price (D-North Carolina) Nick Rahall (D-West Virginia) Charles Rangel (D-New York) Silvestre Reyes (D-Texas) Lynn Rivers (D-Michigan, retired from office) Ciro Rodriguez (D-Texas, retired from office) Lucille Roybal-Allard (D-California) Bobby Rush (D-Illinois)

Martin Olav Sabo (D-Minnesota) Loretta Sanchez (D-California) Bernie Sanders (I-Vermont) Thomas Sawyer (D-Ohio) Jan Schakowsky (D-Illinois) Bobby Scott (D-Virginia) Jose Serrano (D-New York) Louise Slaughter (D-New York) Vic Snyder (D-Arkansas) Hilda Solis (D-California) Pete Stark (D-California) Ted Strickland (D-Ohio) Burt Stupak (Michigan)

Mike Thompson (D-California) Bennie Thompson (D-Mississippi) John Tierney (D-Massachusetts) Edolphus Towns (D-New York) Mark Udall (D-Colorado) Tom Udall (D-New Mexico)

Nydia Velaquez (D-New York) Pete Visclosky (D-Indiana) Maxine Waters (D-California) Diane Watson (D-California) Melvin Watt (D-North Carolina) Lynn Woolsey (D-California) David Wu (D-Oregon)
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    I plan on trying to start a new civil thread on this very topic of words censored.

I was accused that the words were offensive to me was why I shut it down, but it was the level of immaturity that went over board.
    The accusation that was made was because of not knowing all the facts. There were way over the top, totally inappropriate posts that I ended up deleting.

But because this question of words being censored has came up numerous times, I'm going to attempt yet another time to discuss this concern.

Some years back the words H i t l e r and N a z i and J e w were words that were being thrown around as personal attacks especially in OT.
    Because we're firstly a Tech forum, the words censored have very little need in a tech forum.

Here you go:
    http://forums.precentral.net/off-top...ensorship.html
    Just call me Berd.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post

Thanks for answering my question. There is never any excuse to use words like that as a personal attack. I just found it curious that it was edited when I put up that vid on another post with his name. Some may also find the term "teabaggers" offensive, because its generally a term used to slight homosexual men (though not exclusive) similiar to carpet munching. I personally think that the thread was started with the "teabagging" to poke fun at the Tea Partiers.

I do realize that there is a fine line you have to walk as I sit here watching "The Pacific", where the short version of the word Japanese (and potentially offensive term) is being used in every other sentence. My Grandfather who has passed many years ago used the term colored people, and even though those words are deemed offensive now. Those words are still a part of the abbreviation NAACP. Now, people of color or African American is the norm.

I completely understand deleting the word if it's used in a personal attack. I was just taken aback that his infamous name would be removed. Our children need to grow up knowing his crimes. Thats why I cannot stand some places in Europe where they still cannot use his name or his party of power. It needs to be known for future lessons.

Thanks for the feedback.
  8.    #8  
    Thanks for that link. There's someone here that always seems to end with "GTFOH" or something like that, some use ***. We all know what it stands for though.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by notaphonegeek View Post
    I notice that the civilian deaths have been left out of "The war on terror". Otherwise we would probably see Bush way up there, and I'm sure Obama has already passed Osama's 3,500 civilian deaths by now.
    Apparently you don't understand what the word genocide means?
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    Apparently you don't understand what the word genocide means?
    They included Nixon!!! Yes, I do know what genocide means, but if they include Nixon for killing 70,000 Vietnamese, how can they leave out Harry S Truman, or GWB??? Obama is following the same line as Bush. They included Milosevic, but not Ariel Sharon for murdering 3,500 Palestinian civilians in Beirut in 1982, giving him the nickname the "Butcher of Beirut"??????