1.    #1  
    Quick question to those of you who know more about this then me. I have an older Gateway laptop (M405), who's video card supports resolutions up to 2048x1536. For some strange reason, my LCD TV (Toshiba Regza Model: 42HL67US) will not recognized any resolutions higher then 1024x768 WHEN GOING THROUGH THE TV'S VGA INPUT PORT. This means that I always have to deal with the black columns on each side of the screen(since my laptop is old and my only option is VGA out). So, will a VGA to HDMI cable solve this problem since the TV supports 1080p resolutions via the HDMI port. Is it really that easy, or am I missing something. I called around and none of my local stores have this cable, but I know they sell them online. I wanted to make sure I was on the right track before purchasing anything. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!
    Quote Originally Posted by aairman23 View Post
    Quick question to those of you who know more about this then me. I have an older Gateway laptop (M405), who's video card supports resolutions up to 2048x1536. For some strange reason, my LCD TV (Toshiba Regza Model: 42HL67US) will not recognized any resolutions higher then 1024x768 WHEN GOING THROUGH THE TV'S VGA INPUT PORT. This means that I always have to deal with the black columns on each side of the screen(since my laptop is old and my only option is VGA out). So, will a VGA to HDMI cable solve this problem since the TV supports 1080p resolutions via the HDMI port. Is it really that easy, or am I missing something. I called around and none of my local stores have this cable, but I know they sell them online. I wanted to make sure I was on the right track before purchasing anything. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!
    off the top of my head you need a DVI port to get full 1080p (DVI to HDMI works) -- vga gives you the 1024x768
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    if you only have vga in your pc , you better buy an vga to dvi converter or vga to hdmi converter.. Vga to hdmi cable is not gonna work cause vga have analog signal and hdmi is digital signal!
  4.    #4  
    I really don't NEED 1080i or 1080p resolutions. I just want any resolution that will allow the screen to expand to full wide screen (without the black columns) Whenever I try to set the laptop to ANY wide screen resolution, the TV goes black and a blue box appears that says "unsupported video signal." I'm happy with a lower resolution as long as it is widescreen. As of what I think I know now, the TV will not support this via the VGA input. So I'm hoping a VGA to HDMI cable will do the trick. But I still am not convinced enough to pull the trigger on an online purchase.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by SISGO View Post
    if you only have vga in your pc , you better buy an vga to dvi converter or vga to hdmi converter.. Vga to hdmi cable is not gonna work cause vga have analog signal and hdmi is digital signal!

oh...Well converters are WAY too much money. I mean..I don't understand why a TV would not support widescreen format via a VGA port. It literally will not support anything above 1024 X 768 (via VGA). Is there another (cheaper) way around this problem?

Would VGA to S-video work?
    Last edited by aairman23; 03/29/2010 at 03:54 PM.