Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Marijuana has no physical dependencies. None at all. I'm not saying someone can't become mentally addicted to it, but there are no physical withdraw symptoms when even heavy smokers stop cold turkey.
    Development and consequences of cannabis dependence — J Clin Pharmacol
    ...i'm sure they can suggest any number of pills to "help"....
    -- VZW Pre+ -- Uberk/Gov fixed @ 1ghz -- QPST gps mod -- stock battery (?mugen 3800?) --
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    regardless, the health risks and impacts are far less than other "legal" drugs. another circle argument that goes nowhere. this isn't some new exotic drug. pot and it's many uses has been around for thousands of years. it's time to legalize it.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Like I said I take my own real world experience over a study any day.

For instance I smoked every day for years, then a couple months ago went 3 weeks without any at all. There was no physical dependency and after a few days to adjust my normal routine, I didn't even think about it.

There are a lot of bogus studies on both sides, but I take real world experience more seriously because it is about how it affects me.

Alcohol and Tobacco are actually physically addicting and cause a lot more problems than marijuana.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    For instance I smoked every day for years, then a couple months ago went 3 weeks without any at all. There was no physical dependency and after a few days to adjust my normal routine, I didn't even think about it.

Alcohol and Tobacco are actually physically addicting and cause a lot more problems than marijuana.
    Except using your criteria, alcohol is not physically addicting. I typically have 2 or 3 beers an evening, and then occasionally go for days/weeks with none without any physical symptoms at all.

...that's the problem with anecdotal evidence as a basis for a belief system.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    Except using your criteria, alcohol is not physically addicting. I typically have 2 or 3 beers an evening, and then occasionally go for days/weeks with none without any physical symptoms at all.

...that's the problem with anecdotal evidence as a basis for a belief system.
    Alcohol has two addictive properties, one is chemical and requires a genetic predisposition so not everyone would develop a true chemical dependency like with something like nicotine. As of yet there hasn't been any evidence to show that there might be a similar predisposition for pot.

The second is emotional but any mood altering drug can fill that addiction, including pot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    Alcohol has two addictive properties, one is chemical and requires a genetic predisposition so not everyone would develop a true chemical dependency like with something like nicotine. As of yet there hasn't been any evidence to show that there might be a similar predisposition for pot.

The second is emotional but any mood altering drug can fill that addiction, including pot.
    Right. Alcoholics in particular go through hell when they stop drinking. They get the shakes, heavy sweating, etc...

Alcohol for sure is physically addicting.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Like I said I take my own real world experience over a study any day.

What about your normal routine did you have to adjust?

There are a lot of bogus studies on both sides, but I take real world experience more seriously because it is about how it affects me.
    That would be fine if it was going to be legalized just for you.

Both alcohol and tobacco are used far more frequently and openly that marijuana. In my opinion, this is not a fair comparison.

Again, I'm not arguing against legalization. However, I do think a lot of people are under the false impression that pot is harmless at worst, possibly even beneficial for a whole host of things for which it is not, and that legalization is the answer to the nation's drug problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    regardless, the health risks and impacts are far less than other "legal" drugs. another circle argument that goes nowhere. this isn't some new exotic drug. pot and it's many uses has been around for thousands of years. it's time to legalize it.
    oh my micael, did you really say that, omg, omg omg,, , watch it groovy hes coming into the light lolol yes grasshopper, come this way come into the light..
    Life is short, Play hard, and enjoy every moment as if it was your last.
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xForsaken View Post
    oh my micael, did you really say that, omg, omg omg,, , watch it groovy hes coming into the light lolol yes grasshopper, come this way come into the light..
    Ah well... nobody's right all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by groovy View Post
    Both alcohol and tobacco are used far more frequently and openly that marijuana. In my opinion, this is not a fair comparison.

Again, I'm not arguing against legalization. However, I do think a lot of people are under the false impression that pot is harmless at worst, possibly even beneficial for a whole host of things for which it is not, and that legalization is the answer to the nation's drug problem.
    Some people might be under that false impression. I'm personally under the impression it's not going to be any worse then alcohol as long as certain companies don't start pulling the same refinement practices they did with cigarettes to make tobacco "better" and ended up making it even more poisonous then it already was.
    A very good friend, he will be gone now 3 years dec 28th, steve, who would get drunk sniffing a beer bottle cap, had to undergo chemo and radiation. In British Columbia it is a lot easier to get medicinal MJ, he got the clinical stuff, inside of two weeks, it still was not enough to dampen the pain or the nausea. He ended up buying from people on the street, to get the potency he needed. Luckly, the people we knew understood all to well what he was going through. They sold him the stuff dirt cheap, usually free, Steves final years were long and painful. He swore by the stuff. In the end, not even the stuff that was smuggled into his hospital room was enough to ease the pain. I am all for medical MJ, I am also all for legalizing it. Will it stop people selling it to minors, hell no, will it stop people from driving stoned, hell no. Perhaps though it will help people understand why at the very least it needs to be legalized for people who need it.

The numbers of people i met that felt it was just wrong that Steve used it was insane. The good thing, after the 2nd call to the RCMP, they never bothered him again, even for the stuff that was ummmm not so legal.
    And as my friend Steve was fond of saying, 'Thank you Thank you very much', ( in a really lousy Elvis imitation) for at least a hope of people understanding what they go through.
    Life is short, Play hard, and enjoy every moment as if it was your last.
    Right. Alcoholics in particular go through hell when they stop drinking. They get the shakes, heavy sweating, etc...
    Is that because of the alcohol, or because of their abuse/dependence? Have you done any research into similar abuse of marijuana? Whether or not alcohol withdrawal exists was not the thrust of my point. The thrust was whether or not your experiential observations could be used to prove or disprove that marijuana dependence was possible in the same way that alcohol dependence is.
    It can be for certain segments of the population, but it is not universally so. What makes you think that if marijuana were to become legal that there might not be a similar segment of its users?
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    Some people might be under that false impression. I'm personally under the impression it's not going to be any worse then alcohol as long as certain companies don't start pulling the same refinement practices they did with cigarettes to make tobacco "better" and ended up making it even more poisonous then it already was.
    I think it's a foregone conclusion (see post 108).
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts

Don't forget death. I'd like to see a death directly attributed to smoking too much pot... I doubt there is an incident. And please don't provide any examples that include quotes like "Hey Doods! Watch this ..... "
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Don't forget death. I'd like to see a death directly attributed to smoking too much pot... I doubt there is an incident. And please don't provide any examples that include quotes like "Hey Doods! Watch this ..... "
    You mean directly related like alcohol poisoning? No, probably not. Although psychosis and schizophrenia have been linked. But, how many traffic fatalities or other "accidental" deaths can be attributed to marijuana just as any other mind-altering substance? It's not a wonder-drug.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    You mean directly related like alcohol poisoning? No, probably not. Although psychosis and schizophrenia have been linked. But, how many traffic fatalities or other "accidental" deaths can be attributed to marijuana just as any other mind-altering substance? It's not a wonder-drug.
    Nominal, I'd suspect. To have an accident, you usually have to be away from the couch.
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Nominal, I'd suspect. To have an accident, you usually have to be away from the couch.
    You still have to drive to the store for munchies. And you know most accidents happen within 5 miles from home.
    Like on a munchie run?
    You still have to drive to the store for munchies. And you know most accidents happen within 5 miles from home.
    That's why I never go home anymore.
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast