Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Food for thought.

It took a Constitutional amendment to allow the federal government to make alcohol illegal. With that precedent, whence the authority to make any drug illegal, or to require the use of prescriptions for certain medications?
    Quote Originally Posted by angiest View Post
    Food for thought.

It took a Constitutional amendment to allow the federal government to make alcohol illegal. With that precedent, whence the authority to make any drug illegal, or to require the use of prescriptions for certain medications?
    Was alcohol even technically defined as a drug at that time? There are plenty of people that seem to not realize that alcohol is actually a drug even today.
    Quote Originally Posted by wwarren2 View Post
    with Obama completely ruining the future of our country, the least he can do is legalize the sticky icky.
    You forget to put > (IMO).

Back to the topic at hand.. I say legalize and tax it, because...
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    California Governor Signs Marijuana Decriminalization Bill

by Phillip Smith, October 1, 2010

California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger (R) Thursday signed into law a bill that decriminalizes the possession of up to one ounce of marijuana. The bill reduces simple possession from a misdemeanor to an infraction.

Currently, small-time pot possession is "semi-decriminalized" in California. There is no possible jail sentence and a maximum $100 fine. But because possession is a misdemeanor, people caught with pot are "arrested," even if that means only they are served a notice to appear, and they must appear before a court.

That has happened to more than a half million Californians in the last decade, and more than 60,000 last year alone. Every one of them required a court appearance, complete with judge and prosecutor. That costs the cash-strapped state money it desperately needs.

Under the bill signed today, SB 1449, by Sen. Mark Leno (D-San Francisco), pot possession will be treated like a traffic ticket. The fine will remain at $100, and there will be no arrest record.

In a signing statement, Schwarzenegger said he opposed decriminalization for personal use—and threw in a gratuitous jab at Proposition 19, the tax and regulate marijuana legalization initiative—but that the state couldn't afford the status quo.

"I am signing this measure because possession of less than an ounce of marijuana is an infraction in everything but name," said Schwarzenegger. "The only difference is that because it is a misdemeanor, a criminal defendant is entitled to a jury trial and a defense attorney. In this time of drastic budget cuts, prosecutors, defense attorneys, law enforcement, and the courts cannot afford to expend limited resources prosecuting a crime that carries the same punishment as a traffic ticket."

"Gov. Schwarzenegger deserves credit for sparing the state's taxpayers the cost of prosecuting minor pot offenders," said California NORML director Dale Gieringer. "Californians increasingly recognize that the war on marijuana is a waste of law enforcement resources."

The law goes into effect January 1. Even if Prop 19 passes in November, it leaves in place misdemeanor charges for smoking in public or in the presence of minors. Those misdemeanors would become infractions under the new law.

Sacramento, CA
    United States
    Reposted.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    California is already off the hook on the medical side.. .

Marijuana Reviews | Honest And Accurate Marijuana Reviews Blog
    Everybody wants some!..
    I don't have the time to post my full thoughts on this.. But I leave you with a couple of questions..

Why wouldn't bigger cartels traffic/transport from CA to other states (not just pot, they sell other drugs too... It's a business... They can smuggle mixed with pot cocaine, pcp, Heroine ). Thereby increased spending on fighting the drug battle everywhere, for every drug, all bc a couple of POTHEADS want to play "up in smoke".

What's to stop the avg pot grower from experimenting with lacing it with household cleaners to lsd etc...

When I was a pothead I was all for it... Now that I live in REALITY (see what I did there?) I'm against it all the way

--Sent using Tap@Talk for webOS
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    I don't have the time to post my full thoughts on this.. But I leave you with a couple of questions..

Why wouldn't bigger cartels traffic/transport from CA to other states (not just pot, they sell other drugs too... It's a business... They can smuggle mixed with pot cocaine, pcp, Heroine ). Thereby increased spending on fighting the drug battle everywhere, for every drug, all bc a couple of POTHEADS want to play "up in smoke".

What's to stop the avg pot grower from experimenting with lacing it with household cleaners to lsd etc...

When I was a pothead I was all for it... Now that I live in REALITY (see what I did there?) I'm against it all the way

I see where you went with this and it is going to happen regardless. Plus with soo many other states picking up medicinal marijuana as an alternative, why would you think they would be shipping it out from Cali? I live in colorado and we may see quality strains that come from cali but that's where it stops. All the clubs out here grow in house and people want quality, you don't get that from shipping it. That comes from growing n maintaining it yourself.

More of an argument to make it legal at the federal level.

Honestly, how does pot differ from cigarettes or alcohol? The only difference I've heard of is that pot doesn't have the cumulative detrimental effect on health that the legal drugs have.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    More of an argument to make it legal at the federal level.

Honestly, how does pot differ from cigarettes or alcohol? The only difference I've heard of is that pot doesn't have the cumulative detrimental effect on health that the legal drugs have.
    cumulative or otherwise..... except accessive usage has been tied to manboobs.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    cumulative or otherwise..... except accessive usage has been tied to manboobs.
    Well I wouldn't put the otherwise in there. It still has a temporary mental impairment factor just like alcohol has.
    I'm moving to Cali if this gets passed!!!
    dude.... I'm sooo hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhungry....
    Message from xtc/pot capital of the world: Amsterdam / Holland.

Living in a country where cannabis has been decriminilized ages ago, I can tell you one thing. Decriminilization is strictly a legal matter. Most people who see someome smoking pot anywhere still consider that person a <enter-your-favorite-term-here>.

Pot is still considered to be a stepping stone to harder drugs (even here).

People are not allowed to grow large quantities because it's impossible to monitor, and juice-tapping is a very common problem.

There's been some recent heated debate as to closing down the mythical "coffee shops" but I'm not sure what the current status.

These coffee shops present another problem; drugs tourism. Guess US would have a similar problem with people crossing state lines for one purpose only.

Personally, I'm done with all that. Been able to try everything out at the best rates imaginable, and the only habit that stuck is alcohol.

As for perspective; there's a lot of GHB rape going on (cause that's real easy to get too) and there's entire school classes of 12-year olds chipping in to buy hundreds of xtc pills at an unit price of roughly 1 or 2 euro.

Anything to do with pot specifically? No.
    Just everything to do with a society that decriminilizes drug (ab)use.
    Uh-ohh tomorrow is Friday!!! That means wake-n-bake for me! They should legalize it.
    Just got my voter pamphlet today. The anti-prop 19 arguments are weak at best. I am really hoping us Californians get it together and pass this bill.

If you are a Californian and want to see this prop go through. VOTE. We need all the help we can get.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Probably not a good idea. But think about how many times you have heard of a pot smoker killing someone on their way home compaired to those who got drunk & killed someone. (And no I don't smoke pot)
    Quote Originally Posted by robinslair View Post
    Probably not a good idea. But think about how many times you have heard of a pot smoker killing someone on their way home compaired to those who got drunk & killed someone. (And no I don't smoke pot)
    That was fast.. Lol...
    But I think those numbers will rise once it is legal.. When the first child gets killed from a pothead behind the wheel .

Global Posts
    739 Global Posts

Good point. I say we legalize it all.
    What's to stop people profiting from cigarettes and alcohol to smuggle hard drugs in them?

What incentive does a dealer dealing a legal substance have lacing it with something illegal? What incentive do they have lacing weed with something much more expensive like PCP?

It's an obscenity of the highest degree that rampant racism and right-wing political opportunism in America have led to the international banning of a completely harmless plant and to the creation and ever-ongoing perpetuation of disinformation and fearmongering.

Thank lord for civil disobedience.
    OMG i was just about to start a thread but decided to search first (as you should)
    Yes it should be
    Reasons:
    -If it were legal people wouldn't abuse it
    -LESS ADDICTIVE than alcohol, why don't we just make alcohol illegal
    -It's already legal in California for medical reasons
    -It can be used to treat many things
    -If you're worried about people DUIing with marijuana, make it just like alcohol, Don't smoke and drive
    -Impairs vision LESS than alcohol

There you go, Discuss
    PSN:KlutchScope
    Xbox Gamertag:KlutchScope
    Follow me on Twitter
    AT&T|Palm Pre Plus

"Fact, bears, beets, BattleStar Galactica."- From "The Office", Jim impersonating Dwight
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast