Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910
    Not sure (I know it's way more severe in the USA) how similar "crimes" are judged but from my own experience. I was moving from the west coast of Canada(Vancouver Island) in 1999 and I got pulled over in North Vancouver for burnt out taillights, not my car a fairly long story but I'll cut to the chase.... 3 of us in the car, 6 ounces of weed, we all claimed it was ours and nobody else's. We got let out that night ( car impounded ) and when it came time to court, the judge handed me $250 fine. This was honestly "our" weed for personal use, we were moving to where the job boom was at the time. So just thought I'd share an experience in how our government handles such cases. I've never broken the law since, and I still smoke weed.(Splitting hairs if you say I'm still breaking the law, I know, it's still illegal, but I'm far from a criminal). I work an honest job, pay my taxes, pay my bills, smoke my weed. Entitled to a pardon and in the process of getting one.
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    And here's an example of the police from a little pot.
    I won't automatically defend the actions of the police just like I won't automatically condemn them without knowing all of the facts. Just consider that they wouldn't normally expend this sort of effort if they thought this guy was just a user with a small amount of pot. They really do have bigger fish to fry. As I read it, they had a warrant based on the investigation that this was a major distributor. Now, either he was a major distributor--only having a small amount on him at the time doesn't negate this necessarily--or they got some very bad information. You have to remember that dealers aren't usually an honest lot and they turn on each other all the time. Either way, they didn't go after this guy as a consumer but a dealer.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by groovy View Post
    I won't automatically defend the actions of the police just like I won't automatically condemn them without knowing all of the facts. Just consider that they wouldn't normally expend this sort of effort if they thought this guy was just a user with a small amount of pot. They really do have bigger fish to fry. As I read it, they had a warrant based on the investigation that this was a major distributor. Now, either he was a major distributor--only having a small amount on him at the time doesn't negate this necessarily--or they got some very bad information. You have to remember that dealers aren't usually an honest lot and they turn on each other all the time. Either way, they didn't go after this guy as a consumer but a dealer.
    That was overkill under any circumstance, and you know it. But I wasn't asking you to defend it. I'm asking for things like this to stop.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    On a related note:

Study: Alcohol more lethal than heroin, cocaine
    Alcohol is more dangerous than illegal drugs like heroin and crack cocaine, according to a new study. (James M. Thresher for The Washington Post)

By MARIA CHENG
    The Associated Press
    Sunday, October 31, 2010; 8:08 PM

LONDON -- Alcohol is more dangerous than illegal drugs like heroin and crack cocaine, according to a new study.

British experts evaluated substances including alcohol, cocaine, heroin, ecstasy and marijuana, ranking them based on how destructive they are to the individual who takes them and to society as a whole.

Researchers analyzed how addictive a drug is and how it harms the human body, in addition to other criteria like environmental damage caused by the drug, its role in breaking up families and its economic costs, such as health care, social services, and prison.

Heroin, crack cocaine and methamphetamine, or crystal meth, were the most lethal to individuals. When considering their wider social effects, alcohol, heroin and crack cocaine were the deadliest. But overall, alcohol outranked all other substances, followed by heroin and crack cocaine. Marijuana, ecstasy and LSD scored far lower.

The study was paid for by Britain's Centre for Crime and Justice Studies and was published online Monday in the medical journal, Lancet.

Experts said alcohol scored so high because it is so widely used and has devastating consequences not only for drinkers but for those around them.

"Just think about what happens (with alcohol) at every football game," said Wim van den Brink, a professor of psychiatry and addiction at the University of Amsterdam. He was not linked to the study and co-authored a commentary in the Lancet.

When drunk in excess, alcohol damages nearly all organ systems. It is also connected to higher death rates and is involved in a greater percentage of crime than most other drugs, including heroin.

But experts said it would be impractical and incorrect to outlaw alcohol.

"We cannot return to the days of prohibition," said Leslie King, an adviser to the European Monitoring Centre for Drugs and one of the study's authors. "Alcohol is too embedded in our culture and it won't go away."

King said countries should target problem drinkers, not the vast majority of people who indulge in a drink or two. He said governments should consider more education programs and raising the price of alcohol so it isn't as widely available.

Experts said the study should prompt countries to reconsider how they classify drugs. For example, last year in Britain, the government increased its penalties for the possession of marijuana. One of its senior advisers, David Nutt - the lead author on the Lancet study - was fired after he criticized the British decision.

"What governments decide is illegal is not always based on science," said van den Brink. He said considerations about revenue and taxation, like those garnered from the alcohol and tobacco industries, may influence decisions about which substances to regulate or outlaw.

"Drugs that are legal cause at least as much damage, if not more, than drugs that are illicit," he said.

----

Online:

TheLancet.com - Home Page
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    Prop 203 Fails In Arizona: No Medical Marijuana For AZ
    Advertisement:

November 3, 2010 Print This Article

Prop 203, the ballot measure in Arizona to make medical marijuana legal, has failed by a small margin, 50.25% against to 49.25% for, with only 3 precincts left to report. The measure has failed by a little over 6,000 votes and it doesn’t look like the last three precincts will turn the tide. This is a victory as Prop 203 was supposed to allow people, with severe pain, to be able to use marijuana. Opponents say that people will fake having pain in order to get a prescription for marijuana. Governor Jan Brewer, who was easily re elected to another term, was against this measure. Looks like the people of Arizona are split down the middle of the issue. People who support medical marijuana use say it works in relieving pain where other medications will not. Those who oppose medical marijuana say this is just a way for drug users to skirt the law. We talked to 11 people in Phoenix yesterday and asked them if marijuana should be used for medical purposes. Seven of our respondents said yes and only four were opposed. Of course our subjects were all between the ages of 20 and 27 so it seems the younger generation does not have a big problem with medical marijuana. Prop 203 may have a chance at another time but not today.
    Sorry AZ. Live to fight another day...
    "I will go in this way, but I'll find my own way out." -DMB

Dear Lord,
    Please grant me the ability to punch people in the face over standard TCP/IP.
    Amen.
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910