Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1.    #1  
    A friend introduced me to the hobby and I'm very interested. I have a few questions if there is anyone around to answer...
    Pre|central Peacekeepers
    Share your Mizzou pride:
    - wallpapers/boot themes - here
    - Black n' Gold theme - here
  2. #2  
    sorry man i do nitro rc but not boats there is some spillover though you may want to check out rc universe. Most of the people over there may help you good luck and have fun its a good hobby.
  3. #3  
    My Dad and I are pretty big into RC boats. PM me, OP!
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by first_adam2k View Post
    sorry man i do nitro rc but not boats there is some spillover though you may want to check out rc universe. Most of the people over there may help you good luck and have fun its a good hobby.
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    My Dad and I are pretty big into RC boats. PM me, OP!
    I suppose I'll start with the general question... nitro or electric?

    - I understand the electric are RTR (after a few hours of battery charge) but are also slower and more reliable and run anywhere from 10 - 30 mins.
    - Further I understand the nitro engines need more maintance, upkeep and part replacement. Not to mention the extra stuff one has to hull around (glow plug heater, spare glow plugs, fuel, if not pull start then a starter... etc). I've read that a typical nitro outing is only about 8 minutes, then a re-fill is necessary thus the hassle of getting it started as well.
    ---- Is this really a hassle? Why can't the fuel tank be modified to hold more fuel? Everyone says they are exepensive.. a few glow plugs + air filter + a gallon of fuel = $30? Doesn't sound expensive to me.

    Basically I don't want to make an investment then be disappointed by buying an electric unit. Thus I'm willing investment extra time (and maintenance) to forgo the possibility of disappointment.


    Some boats I'm considering:

    1. 45 inch Gigantor w/ 3 electric 550's (stable & claims to run 35+ ,I'm doubting that though).
    2. CEN Aqua Jet Nitro (but I'm worried the slim body will cause many flips in any type of not so perfect conditions).
    3. Traxxas Villain 31 inch w/ 2 14v 550's.
    4. Formula Fastech (nitro .15)


    Lastly, choice number 1 is the least expensive but the reviews for hobbytron.com are horrible, thus I will have to find another place to buy one any ideas?
    Pre|central Peacekeepers
    Share your Mizzou pride:
    - wallpapers/boot themes - here
    - Black n' Gold theme - here
  5. #5  
    Im as hooked on R/C as I am with phones. I have over 40 vehicles ranging from airplanes to boats. I almost always prefer nitro over electric.


    I do have an electric Traxxas Villian (very good first time boat for people)

    King of Shaves is my next boat, definitely the best R/C boat out there
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by slydog43 View Post
    Im as hooked on R/C as I am with phones. I have over 40 vehicles ranging from airplanes to boats. I almost always prefer nitro over electric.


    I do have an electric Traxxas Villian (very good first time boat for people)

    King of Shaves is my next boat, definitely the best R/C boat out there
    Cool! With the hardware the 45 inch gigantor is running do you think its truely has the ability to do 35+ mph?

    Can you recommend any other low cost nitro boats? I have a feeling the CEN Aqua will is to slim and will flip constantly on anything but perfect water conditions.
    Pre|central Peacekeepers
    Share your Mizzou pride:
    - wallpapers/boot themes - here
    - Black n' Gold theme - here
  7. #7  
    i strapped on a GPS unit to a few boats, fast that I have seen is 33 MPH with a brushless motor (small 27inch vhull).

    I live on a lake and the conditions have to be very, very calm for these boats to work without flipping (except the villian which is almost impossible to flip)
  8. #8  
    I prefer nitro over electric. It is because whenever you feel like going "driving", you just go if you have nitro. If you have electric, you have to charge up all the batteries first. Also, they don't last that long with battery. However, I saw "Fuel Cell" tech. is coming out, that might change how you look at it since 1 charge will last you a long time.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by slydog43 View Post
    i strapped on a GPS unit to a few boats, fast that I have seen is 33 MPH with a brushless motor (small 27inch vhull).

    I live on a lake and the conditions have to be very, very calm for these boats to work without flipping (except the villian which is almost impossible to flip)
    That is kind of what I figured... I have access to a few small ponds which mainly have very caim conditions. However, I really wouldn't want to go swimming in either of them.

    If most of my boating is to be early morning on a large lake (when its calm but by no means perfect) then perhaps I should go for something larger like the traxxas villain? I suppose if it wasn't fast enough I could always swap the hardware out (motors/props/batteries)?

    Quote Originally Posted by myrcgarage View Post
    I prefer nitro over electric. It is because whenever you feel like going "driving", you just go if you have nitro. If you have electric, you have to charge up all the batteries first. Also, they don't last that long with battery. However, I saw "Fuel Cell" tech. is coming out, that might change how you look at it since 1 charge will last you a long time.
    I'm still in limbo... I think I would prefer nitro, but not sure if there is enough budget to purchase one of the big dogs. As I mentioned above my ideal water conditions are calm, but by no means perfect. Thus I think I need a bigger boat than what my nitro budget can afford.
    Pre|central Peacekeepers
    Share your Mizzou pride:
    - wallpapers/boot themes - here
    - Black n' Gold theme - here
  10. shaarpmind's Avatar
    Posts
    1 Posts
    Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    #10  
    its a good hobby........
  11. #11  
    Been thinking about getting into it. Have had and still have trucks cars helis and airplanes.

Posting Permissions