1.    #1  
    Well today I offically dumped Norton antivirus and installed Kaspersky. Been using the latter on my laptop for a few months now and it seems overall a much better product. I've heard from various sources that Norton is notorius for slowing your system down, so I'm hoping to see a performance improvement in my desktop PC.

Hope so, anyway. :-)
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    I recommend avast! to anyone who asks.
    I chose Kaspersky over Norton also. Love the add blocker. I feel more secured with Kaspersky and all the improvements to make it user friendly have helped a lot. I do not trust free anti virus. Its cool because its free but not as effective as the top three.
  4.    #4  
    FWIW, the first "full system scan" I ran with Kaspersky took less than half the time that Norton used to take....
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    I recommend avast! to anyone who asks.
    I've heard of that. I'm looking for a light virus scan and clean solution... not a heavy security suite with all the bells and whistles running constantly in the background.

Is avast! lightweight? Again, all I want is to point it at a file, or do a system scan when I ask it to. I don't need something running in the background all the time.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    ^^It's light. Which is the reason I use it (for 5 years now I think). Also the product I have been using for the office (pro version) since v5 launched a few months ago.

By default it does have web/network/file system scanning enabled but that can easily be turned off. However even with that on I don't see any impacts on system performance on my 3 year old desktop at home.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    I've heard of that. I'm looking for a light virus scan and clean solution... not a heavy security suite with all the bells and whistles running constantly in the background.

Is avast! lightweight? Again, all I want is to point it at a file, or do a system scan when I ask it to. I don't need something running in the background all the time.
    very light weight. We use avast when it's obvious using mcafee or even avg is gonna weigh the pc down. Make sure you have a separate utility to svan just in case. Malwarebytes is awesome, easy to use and gets updated frequently. Free version is good. This way you have 2 chances, if avast lets it in, mwb may be able to remove it!

oh and good move. Screw norton. Remember to use the removal tool, norton leaves so many broken reg entried when removing it through uninstal...
    AVG all the way baby
    Quote Originally Posted by darkzone View Post
    AVG all the way baby
    I like it too (as long as you do a custom install, and don't let it install its toolbar, or let it make yahoo your default search etc.)
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    I had ZA for the longest time and that too I ditched including Norton for their cause paradoxes. They both slow your PC down to a crawl and cause the vary things that it protects from.
    Believe it or not Microsoft Security Essentials is fantastic.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    I was impressed by Microsoft's realization that keeping their customer's systems virus free was in their best interest, so they stopped charging for their antivirus. I thought, ok, AVG has been annoying the heck out of me lately so I might try it, then I saw a study showing it ranked better than AVG at removing malware so I took the Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) plunge.

Several months later and I'm very pleased with it, particularly on a little web book that would get choked by AVG.
    after seeing the holes IE8 has, it's hard to trust MS. Is taking security seriously, although I have only heard good stories about MSE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof View Post
    Believe it or not Microsoft Security Essentials is fantastic.
    I second that. I've tried it out and use it on my personal computer with little to no performance hit and flawless detection.

AVG is good, and still a better alternative than Norton. I have carefully cited cases where the professional norton enterprise package running on my work computer has let invasive viruses run without detection while my free copy of AVG found it in a second (when using a USB key between both computers), and since then consider Norton a waste of money and resources.
    Another +1 on Microsoft Security Essentials. I just about threw up when I found myself installing it for a try, but it's worked great. It's minimally intrusive, got great reviews for effectiveness on third party sites like Lifehacker, and is free. I run it on a netbook, a headless server, and two desktops and it runs smooth on each one of them.
    +1 to all the Avast recommendations. I work in a busy IT department and all our employees including myself use Avast. We also recommend it to anyone who asks.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    many thanks